• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Introducing heated bird bath (1 Viewer)

dougpals

I have searched all the ways that I can think of, and have not found anyone addressing this in a subject line. Please pardon me if this has before, I welcome redirection to a link on this subject, if one exists.

I have been feeding finches and smaller birds for about a year and my feeder is well established. I have wanted to get a bath going sooner, but just have not gotten to it. It is cold here in Iowa now, so I got a heated bath and have it mounted just off my deck about 10 feet from the feeder.

My question is this: how long should it take for the birds to find it an use it? It has been in about a week and they have not even looked at it. The temp has been cold (10 degrees F) and that could come into play, as the birds might not be interested in getting wet or drinking. Although some do seem to be eating the snow.

Any thoughts or insight on this is very welcome.

I don't know that I can give you an exact time frame, but they WILL find it. Birds take a little time to adjust to change, some more than others. Be patient, because once they do find it, they will not forget it. In winter, you have to be persistant on filling it, because it evaporates fast. My birds have become so accustomed to the location of their heated bath, that if I remove it for cleaning, they land there and chirp as if confused. To top it off, a couple of local crows have also become accustomed to it, and they bring bread, buns, and other dumpster fodder from other people's yards and soak it in my bird bath.

Joel - thanks for your reply. I am sure patience will pay off. I just expected them to find it and use it really quick since I had heard that water is something that they don't find much of in winter for sure.

I have kept it filled, so I think it is just a waiting game now.

Enjoy.

There's a female blackbird in my garden who was most annoyed my water feature had frozen over, I see her pop down for a drink most day, but she got there before I'd boiled the kettle and gone and de-iced yesterday, she landed and tried to gulp solid ice. Must have had a sore beak.
Birds are creatures of habit, and once one notices they'll tweet their friends that there's a facility.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back