• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (4 Viewers)

Well, it's been quite some years since my first post on this thread, I vaguely remember putting up a few black Biro sketches, a few herons I think. I had no idea it would run so long, have so many replies, words of encouragment, humor, constructive critisizms etc. Most remarkably, it led to me getting to know many of you here, in birdforum cyberspace, and led to the establishment of what I regard now as friendships between those of a kindred mindset...
Many thanks to you all, my profound thanks indeed...

As you may have guessed I'm going to discontinue this thread. It's been a blast, but I feel it has run its course. It will have to stand as a monument to many worn out bic ballpoints. I feel it is time to move on and adjust my position a little, branch out and dedicate more time to colour work. The field observation will always be there an will remain an integral part of my process. I have finally committed to a small studio space here in Stockholm and will be spending the coming months destroying it with paint. There will perhaps be a new thread in due course, perhaps a wrestle with a canvas or two can be resolved here yet again...

I've been browsing through this thread a bit, all I can say is I'm looking forward to your work with colours. There is so much excellent material here, this thread will serve as a rememberance to all of these sketches.

and a grand monument it is! I've learned so much from it. Many well wishes for you in the new space....You are surley going to take flight now with your unique work. Dont be long starting a new one...yes this is a special place in cyberspace and you add so much to it.

Well said, Alan. This thread was the first one I started following with any kind of dedication and it really has become quite monumental in 'our' forum. I've said it umpteen times, but I would NEVER have progressed as an artist without the constant encouragement, support and good humour that dwells down here, and THIS thread was the spark for me, and remains (remained) a bright beacon of illumination.
It's a sad day - and it's a happy day, because maybe it heralds the dawn of you really challenging yourself with the many and varied aspects of paint and colour - something you have had great success with whenever you've given it a shot. More power to your elbow (you'll need it) and, when the time is right, fire up that new techni-colour thread. Good luck in the new studio!!!!

very best of luck with the branching out: we all have favourites from here no doubt: I remember three flying Knots of yours waaaaay back that were a revelation

it must be a + that the blog-like frenzy of the threads on this sub-forum a few years ago has turned into something slightly less frantic: means that people are finding themselves and a wider audience for what they do

but do keep a home fire burning of some sort on here!

very best of luck with the branching out: we all have favourites from here no doubt: I remember three flying Knots of yours waaaaay back that were a revelation

it must be a + that the blog-like frenzy of the threads on this sub-forum a few years ago has turned into something slightly less frantic: means that people are finding themselves and a wider audience for what they do

but do keep a home fire burning of some sort on here!

It's been a great pleasure to see your work Alan, and as Ed says sometimes a revelation as well. Your work is always an inspiration. To quote Ed again 'do keep a home fire of some sort burning here.'

It's been a great pleasure to see your work Alan, and as Ed says sometimes a revelation as well. Your work is always an inspiration. To quote Ed again 'do keep a home fire of some sort burning here.'

Many thanks all, I will indeed start a new thread in time, will need the feedback as I spray paint around.

The studio space needs some work and a little personalizing of my space. In time, I will need a decent drawing desk and chair to replace the basic table and chair there right now. Been carting all the gear across town and now have it all relocated. Hoping to actually get it sorted out/organized this evening and perhaps make a start painting there tomorrow...
It would be very interesting to go forward a year or two in time a view this workspace and it's evolution.
Anyhow, I'm very much looking forward to the new challenge ahead...

Many thanks all, I will indeed start a new thread in time, will need the feedback as I spray paint around.

The studio space needs some work and a little personalizing of my space. In time, I will need a decent drawing desk and chair to replace the basic table and chair there right now. Been carting all the gear across town and now have it all relocated. Hoping to actually get it sorted out/organized this evening and perhaps make a start painting there tomorrow...
It would be very interesting to go forward a year or two in time a view this workspace and it's evolution.
Anyhow, I'm very much looking forward to the new challenge ahead...

I cant wait for the new thread. Whilst im a newby around these parts I have taken the time to look through this one from page one right to the end. Always impresses me as well as your blog :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back