• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-headed Gulls? (1 Viewer)

Hi George,

Ah yes, but those ain't Black-heads my old chum. One 3rd-Winter Glaucous and one adult Herring I reckon. Mark you, Herrings can be a bit demanding but I don't know about Glaucous, only ever seen one (in Weymouth).

Bill

bill moss said:
Hi George,

Ah yes, but those ain't Black-heads my old chum. One 3rd-Winter Glaucous and one adult Herring I reckon. Mark you, Herrings can be a bit demanding but I don't know about Glaucous, only ever seen one (in Weymouth).

Bill
Hi Bill
Very true , and it was the Glaucus I wanted to get closer to.
George

Hi George,

Well done with that photo. You couldn't have got a lot nearer, you'd have been looking up it's nostrils!

As you'll have guessed, not one that has a red dot beside it in my Field Guide.

Bill

Great pics George, the gull in the second pic looks almost as though he should have a key in his back to wind him up! :bounce:

Hi Pam and All. Not living at the seaside I would like to see Gulls in my garden, but they don't come nearer than the roof. I saw one cruising around yesterday so threw some pieces of soggy brown bread up there. 83 Starlings, 3 Rooks and 5 Jackdaws later one managed to find sufficient space to touch down and grab one of the remaining morsels. It's the first I've had since they returned from the breeding grounds. It looked very smart in it's pristine white top and red leggings. Can't you count them if they are on your aerial? I thought as long as they were using your resources they were a legit count. Anything on my roof certainly goes on my visitors list. Not doing GBW at the moment though.

Roy

Hi Roy, Sounds as though you had a bit of fun with the Starlings etc in your garden yesterday, I am so glad one Gull managed a bite to eat!!!

I use my back garden for my GBW, I find that is the area I see most of the birds so that is my designated patch for my counts.

Best wishes

Hi NIK,

Don't know what the 'Official' take is on counting birds in your garden (if there is one) but I work on the principle that anything that LANDS ABOVE my patch (house and grounds) counts as 'in the garden'. So I count birds that land on the electricity pole and the wires above the garden; this seems to me a logical extension of birds sitting in your trees and bushes. Anything on the roof counts, so the aerial must for me.

Anything that doesn't land but comes through my airspace goes on a seperate list.

Bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back