• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

I had an unusual find at Cley East Bank car park today. An Emperor Moth caterpillar. What's one of those doing there. They should be on moorland feeding on heather not by the side of a large reedbed.

Here is a photo of it.

John

Attachments

• Caterpillar 8621.jpg
    Caterpillar 8621.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 100
I had an unusual find at Cley East Bank car park today. An Emperor Moth caterpillar. What's one of those doing there. They should be on moorland feeding on heather not by the side of a large reedbed.

Here is a photo of it.

John
I saw one at Minsmere today at the beach end of the north wall path between the reedbeds. I have seen them there before, so it appears they do favour that sort of habitat. Nice shot John.

You are about to hear an awful lot about this, so I thought I would get in ahead of her ;).
I won the walk and lunch with Simon King!!!!!!!!!! Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joined at birdfair by birdforumers Nikon Kid and Penny Clarke!
Will be nice to meet you Penny, I have re-read my email from Zeiss a few times now and still can't quite believe it!

On a more down to earth note, I have decided to adopt Surlingham Church March as my patch. Great little reserve with bags of potential. If anyone has any previous records or experience of the reserve, I would like to know.

Attempting to chill out with a cider,
Jim.

Ok Jim you're right!!!!!!!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=178065

Birdforum - Carl Zeiss UK 'Win a Wildlife Walk and Lunch with Simon King!' competition

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;););););););)

Almost speechless!!!!! Well not quite. How incredibly exciting, thank you soooooooo much BIRDFORUM. WOW!!!!!!:t:

Just read the email from Carl Zeiss - quote ".....you will have an unforgettable experience with "the best in the business......"

I think that goes without saying!!!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting BF members Terry and Jim.

THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH BIRDFORUM!!!!!!

Very Best Wishes

A very excited Penny:girl: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited:
Ok Jim you're right!!!!!!!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=178065

Birdforum - Carl Zeiss UK 'Win a Wildlife Walk and Lunch with Simon King!' competition

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;););););););)

Almost speechless!!!!! Well not quite. How incredibly exciting, thank you soooooooo much BIRDFORUM. WOW!!!!!!:t:

Just read the email from Carl Zeiss - quote ".....you will have an unforgettable experience with "the best in the business......"

I think that goes without saying!!!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting BF members Terry and Jim.

THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH BIRDFORUM!!!!!!

Very Best Wishes

A very excited Penny:girl: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Penny
Just saw the fantastic news on your blog. So pleased for you. After the ups and downs you've had this year you really deserve it. I trust you will give us all a detailed account of your time with Simon in your usual inimitable style.
Trust you will savour the experience. I'm sure a lot of people will envy you this opportunity.
Best wishes,
Richard

Wow,
Cheers for posting the Pics Paul, good to get an idea of whats going on there. As you say looks like they have made a quick change to the site. Hope it all goes well and works to plan. Are there still birds using the site? I imagine the majority of works is being done by diggers etc so 'real' human disturbance may be lower than expected...or am I wrong?
See you soon hopefully,

Hi Ben

With a 30 ton digger and 2 bomb disposal experts wandering around on the freshmarsh there is not very much around apart from a few shelduck and lapwing. This year will be a bit of a 'write off' for waders but the habitat is looking cracking so I am sure we will see you here for the big one next autumn!

Will be good to see you back in Norfolk

Paul

magic seaweed indicates north winds on friday perhaps with a hint of east, plus heavy rain. Could be interesting! Usual suspects at sherringham and cley friday morning!

Penny
Just saw the fantastic news on your blog. So pleased for you. After the ups and downs you've had this year you really deserve it. I trust you will give us all a detailed account of your time with Simon in your usual inimitable style.
Trust you will savour the experience. I'm sure a lot of people will envy you this opportunity.
Best wishes,
Richard
Thank you Richard!:t:

Will of course be writing a very detailed account!!!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Parthenogenesis in Spoonbills ?

"At no time since the early 1700s has more than one spoonbill bred in the UK" - from the recent Natural England (does it sound like a deodorant to you?) press release, announcing this most welcome news.

This is really interesting. Even with my limited knowledge of biology, I would hazard a firm guess that it takes two Spoonbills to tango, as it were.

However, I do like their description of Holkham as "the emerald marshes" and might start to use it myself.

This is far better than the rebranding of The Broads as Britain's "Magical Waterland" (pace Graham Swift), with its disastrous resonances of Kevin Costner.

I would also imagine they will need much increased security at the site next year, now that this is in the public domain.

Two honey buzards were showing well at Swanton Novers this afternoon. One pale male displaying for over 30 mins. This is the first sighting for 10 days from the woods. They seem to be quietly living within the forest and only showing when disturbed. Today it was when a contractor was cutting a path and the last sighting a couple of weeks ago was when I was doing a butterfly survey. So the birds are still present , but be prepared for a wait before you see them.

Hi Ben

With a 30 ton digger and 2 bomb disposal experts wandering around on the freshmarsh there is not very much around apart from a few shelduck and lapwing. This year will be a bit of a 'write off' for waders but the habitat is looking cracking so I am sure we will see you here for the big one next autumn!

Will be good to see you back in Norfolk

Paul

Fair point Paul, just wondering since birds don't seem to mind machinery as much as they do humans. Ah well Should be good for next year as you say.
I'm sure I'll see you before next Autumn. I'm looking forward to getting out to the East coast this Autumn, beats Kent hands down!;)

Spotted at Felbrigg

During the fruitless search for the 'probable Southern Migrant Hawker' yesterday afternoon.

The shots were taken across the Lake and, in my opinion, do not eliminate Brown Flycatcher (!).

Simon had a patch tick, in the shape of Marsh Harrier- some compensation for the time spent.

Attachments

• 003psesm.jpg
    003psesm.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 169
  • 006psesm.jpg
    006psesm.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 137
Gannets were distant from Cley at around 0830 this morning... So will be interesting to find out more details about the 'Booby' sightings!
2 A Skuas were nice and close though. Also at Cley:
Wood Sand, 11 Spoonbill , the Hoodie (a long overdue Norfolk tick of a rare bird in the county nowadays), 3+ Green Sands, 3-400 Dunlin, cuckoo flying around.
Good luck to all the seawatchers tomorrow ..should be a few seabirds past. I'm working all weekend so will not be there to see them go past

Last edited:
Birding season beginning to turn to Autumn

During the fruitless search for the 'probable Southern Migrant Hawker' yesterday afternoon.

The shots were taken across the Lake and, in my opinion, do not eliminate Brown Flycatcher (!).

Distant spotted flycatcher John!

After my Felbrigg visit I went to Cley and finally bagged wood sandpiper and little stint for the year. Two of each. Also an adult sanderling, a few spotshanks, 25 juvenile redshanks flying west together and 10 spoonbills flew in from Blakeney as I left. Two adult western yellow-legged gulls seen well.

Walking down to north hide a juvenile arctic skua flew west close inshore.

A sign of good autumn sea watching to come.

Had a great week in Lammas (or Lamas or Lomas depending upon which map or road sign you read).

Interesting pair of Barn Owls hunting over the wet pasture near the mill during the day, every day. They both seem to have a very pale ground clour on the back, although the dark markings seem normal. Anyone seen them and have an opinion?

Managed 44 species from the back garden of our holiday let (Lock Cottage) in one week and no House Sparrows or Dunnocks. A Hobby flyover was a highlight.

okey boys and gurls hit those headlands we got easterlies on the the way 'um Greennish as an outside possibilty" Yield all you got to do is bvelieve and you will find, get out thair, now, this morning, now find, find, find, focus focus focus.

Ps Masked Booby my assd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back