• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

A male Stonechat seen from the Forncett Road at Tharston was a nice surprise while working today. Only the second I have ever seen locally and a new bird for my post round list. Later, in the afternoon there was a Peregrine over the A140 at Newton Flotman. Two good patch birds already this year and we're barely into the second week!

Steve.

Was anyone at Flitcham this morning and got a photo I could have as I would like a record shot as it took 3 attempts to get it. Finally decided to get there at 7am today (sat) and it worked

Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus) Flitcham

At the moment it would appear the most likely way of connecting with the Pallid Harrier at Flitcham is to get there before it leaves its roost area, which would seem to be a field north of Abbey Road just east of Abbey Farm at TF739267. It has got up from there in last three days between 7.50-8.00am.

Click on photo to enlarge. Photo taken 8th January 2015 at 8.06am when it headed off south-east.

Hope that helps.

Robin

Attachments

• 026 Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus) Norfolk UK GB January 2016 cp pt crs 130dpi.jpg
    026 Pallid Harrier (Circus macrourus) Norfolk UK GB January 2016 cp pt crs 130dpi.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 255
Cracking views of the Pallid Harrier today flew around the field at about 9:20 and from about 9:45 was sitting in the fir tree in the farm garden viewable from the road

Pallid harrier
In Norfolk Wednesday aiming to be at Flitcham at c.08:00. Can't do it earlier, have 4 hour drive first! Can anyone point to the best place to see the harrier leaving its roost site, or indeed its in normal flight routine.

Many thanks.

Phil

Titchwell January 11th

Today's highlights

Rough legged buzzard - 1 east over the visitor centre with 2 common buzzards @ 14:40
Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Spoonbill - 1 on Thornham saltmarsh
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Avocet - 35 on fresh marsh

White fronted goose - at least 1 bird still present at Snettisham with greylags from the hides this morning

Paul

Earlier in the thread robert was asking about Colour ringed Twite at Thornham Harbour had one with what i think think is orange,green and red and metal on another leg sorry hard trying to work it out from out of focus photos and also red green on one leg and pink metal on another plus yellow metal, and red, orange for a third bird plus a few which seemed to be covered in this thread

Report of f-w Turtle Dove in a Limpenhoe garden today. The last f-w Turtle Dove in Norfolk in winter
turned out to be an Oriental, after the event

Titchwell January 19th

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - male over the reedbed late afternoon. A ringtail roosted on Sunday evening along with 18 marsh. The male was also seen but it flew east of Gypsy Lane and didn't roost on the reserve
Greenshank - 2 on tidal pool
Goosander - redhead on volunteer marsh
Barn owl - 1 hunting along East Trail
Brambling - male on feeders
Avocet - 35 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow

Paul

Re : Serin; Goosanders; Goldeneye & Black-necked Grebe

Had a fantastic day out today in the most enjoyable company of Steve Howell & Geoff Bowen.

Our first objective was to hopefully see the Serin at Downham Market, recently found by Ben Rackstraw.

Arriving at 9.00am we enjoyed excellent views of the Serin, which did not take long to locate. It was very confiding and though not always staying in the same place we were able to follow it to its different feeding locations and enjoy great views, by eye, through our bins and by scope. Taking a good photograph proved a little more tricky though,as there was usually an offending bramble / branch in the way , lol, !

A number of other birders arrived whilst we were there, including Sue Bryan, who I was pleased to introduce myself to and meet in the field, having been enjoying following her blog for quite some time now. We were able to assist with putting the other birders on to the bird.

Thanks to Ben for a great find and a most enjoyable bird to observe, in lovely light.

Moving on to the bridge in Downham Market rewarded us with an outstanding number of Goosanders , 37 in total ( 25 drakes and 12 females )

Our next destination was Denver Sluice, where we were greeted by 80 Goldfinches in a tree.

Proceeding on to Stowbridge, the Great Ouse Relief Channel rewarded us with a drake Goldeneye and yet more Goosanders ( 7 in total, 5 drakes and 2 females).

This theme was to continue with Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen producing a further 12 Goosanders ( 5 Drakes and 7 Females ) to give a phenomenal total of 56 Goosanders for the day.

Yet more Goldeneye were observed here too, of 2 drakes and 2 females, with particularly excellent, close views of the drakes in lovely light.

Our final destination was Tottenhill Gravel Pit, where yet another female Goldeneye awaited us.
The star of the show here was undoubtedly the Black-necked Grebe, which Steve found, within minutes of our arrival.
He then repeatedly tried to ring out the news to RBA, but was unable to get through to them.
In the end he could not reach them, but , fortunately, Geoff was able to tweet out the news to them and we were all pleased to see that the news had got out as Trevor Girling came to view it before we all departed.

Best wishes and happy birding to all
Carol Baldock ( nee Rushton ) o:Do:D

Thanks for that great write-up Carol.

After such a comprehensive account of our day, there's not much more I can add apart from thanks for your lovely company also, throughout an absolutely awesome bird-filled day in the most beautiful weather.

Thanks to Ben for finding the cracking little Serin which was a long-awaited Norfolk tick for me and my bird of the month.

As mentioned, the Goosanders were fantastic in numbers and generally to watch, particularly at Wiggenhall where we watched three separate pairs bombing straight towards us along the Great Ouse RC like little, white, winged missiles!

Last of all, to end on a proper good find with the Black-necked Grebe at Tottenhill (our last planned visit too!!) just finished the day perfectly. Hope it stays around for others to enjoy.

Best wishes.

Steve.

Titchwell January 25th

Today's highlights

Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Avocet - 31 on fresh marsh
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore at Thornham Point
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
Greenshank - 2 on tidal pool
Twite - 3 reported on fresh marsh mid afternoon
Med gull - 1 on beach
Spotted redshank - 2 on volunteer marsh

Paul

I watched for the Pallid Harrier at Flitcham 9am till dark today, with others, and sadly had no sign of it - just two female hen harriers intermittently from 3.30pm. Still, plenty of other nice birds there, including peregrine, merlin, red kite, tree sparrows, bramblings etc, plus chinese water and roe deer.

Titchwell January 26th

Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 12 returned to the reserve today on Patsy's reedbed
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Dunlin - 80 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 250 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 33 on fresh marsh
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow
Pintail - 45 on fresh marsh
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool

Paul

No sign of the Golden Pheasant at Wolferton whilst I wrote patient notes (working) in my car today. A poor birding day for my birthday, will make up for it at the weekend!

Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back