• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First butterfly in 2017 (1 Viewer)

No butterflies yet in Nottingham, not that I've seen anyway but the first Emelina monodactyla on the light outside and our Bats are fully active, even had a midge in the house today.

A

Brimstones and Red Admirals around yesterday in London in the sunshine. Nothing today as it was dull and raining.

Speckled Wood in Falmouth today, and another 2 Peacocks up at Stithians Res.

Imagine the number of species recorded this year in the UK must be into double figures by now?

Last edited:
Strong blustery wind today but sunny so in sheltered gardens within Richmond Park had 2 wandering male Brimstone, Peacock (probably a second one), Comma + Red Admiral.

First sightings this year near derby were seen on saturday 25th of march brimstone were flying around how many I could not guess at, and a comma was briefly seen earlier and yesterday the 26th of march a quick glimpse of probabily a holly blue in back garden, today over cast conditions no sightings at all.

Saw a 'Blue' on Beech Road in Reigate while doing a transect for the Hawk Conservancy BOP survey. Not sure which one (I suppose Holly and Common are the contenders?), but my Collins guide has both flying in April/May, so not sure which. All I can say is that the upper wing was blue (!) with a black edge.....

Lots (10+) Peacocks, 1 Brimstone, 2 S Tortoiseshell, but been seeing those for a few weeks now.

Mick

My understanding is that Holly Blue wanders and can be encountered anywhere - gardens/trees.

Common Blue much more tied down to its favoured meadow grassland habitat.

(Imagine much greater chance of an early Holly (earliest this year was Feb I believe?) than Common too, given the microclimate differences in suburban/mixed habitats?)

I had an Orangetip today near Canterbury which seems rather early according to my various guides. However, they're a decade or two old so how unusual is one this early in April these days?

Saw my first Small Tortoiseshells on my local patch this morning. In the garden this afternoon have seen Peacock, Comma + new for the year for me: Small White, Large White + Holly Blue.

Walking down my road about 4pm in outer London saw 3 Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, male Orange Tip + a Comma in my garden. Had seen several unidentified whites from the tube.

Afternoon.

Today i saw some Speckled Woods and a probable Green-veined White at a local Kent Wildlife Trust reserve. Also seen were Brimstone, Peacock and Comma.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back