• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Moths (2 Viewers)

robhope

Lifer for me on sedges around a small pond

Glyphipterix forsterella

robhope

Attachments

• Glyphipterix forsterella.JPG
    Glyphipterix forsterella.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 134
Well done, Rob.

Small Yellow Underwing and metroites lutarea have been on the wing during the day this week near Titchfield Haven.

Dave W

Over the last 3 weeks I've ran my 15w UV (my regular light) perhaps 4-5 times overnight and have had a "distinct" lack of noctuids....None! Just several pugs, plus a few Brimstones on each occasion, and a single Blood Vein and single Maiden's Blush on the other nights. Is anybody else having a not dissimilar experience?

Cheers

Went butterfly spotting in the North Downs + had 70+ 5-spot Burnets, a Cinnabar, nice fresh Mother Shipton nectaring on Horseshoe Vetch, Pyrausta aurata + P. nigrata.

Extraordinary night last night, 16.05.17, 112 moths of 42 species. Quite ridiculous for my garden in mid May, the highest May species count in one night prior to this year was 19.

Unlike most other people I'm having a very good mothing year. |:$|

Over the last 3 weeks I've ran my 15w UV (my regular light) perhaps 4-5 times overnight and have had a "distinct" lack of noctuids....None! Just several pugs, plus a few Brimstones on each occasion, and a single Blood Vein and single Maiden's Blush on the other nights. Is anybody else having a not dissimilar experience?
Cheers

Hi Ken
I ran a Robinson trap in Barnes on the 16th. 48 specimens of 35 species but only four noctuids, one each of Silver Y, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Heart & Dart and Tawny Marbled Minor. That compared with nine species of Geometridae. The rest was made up of various macro and micro families. It did, however, include three new site (macro) records.

Extraordinary night last night, 16.05.17, 112 moths of 42 species. Quite ridiculous for my garden in mid May, the highest May species count in one night prior to this year was 19.

Unlike most other people I'm having a very good mothing year. |:$|

After two nights of no trapping due to the rain back to normal last night with 8 moths of 5 species.

Better last night in the trap with Bactra lancealana new for the garden; glyphipterix forsterella at the nearby Botley wood was also a new moth for me.

Dave W

I moved to a different house down the same street in Lufbra in the winter and have just started trapping in the new garden. Four nights so far, a total of 59 moths of 20 species. Fairly typical numbers for an urban garden in May but I have already had two species that I never caught in 12 years just down the street - Muslin Moth and Poplar Kitten.

And a smattering of noctuids Ken - the best being single Clouded Brindle and Clouded-bordered Brindle last night.

Steve

about 70 spp to single MV trap here on the Lizard last night. The only migrants were 3 RDP and a Rush Veneer. Otherwise, quite a good mix of families, macro and micro, inc. plenty of noctuids. Highlights were Netted Pug which is new for the garden and Cosmopterix sp. which would have been new for me, but it took fright at the sight of the approaching moth pot.

I moved to a different house down the same street in Lufbra in the winter and have just started trapping in the new garden. Four nights so far, a total of 59 moths of 20 species. Fairly typical numbers for an urban garden in May but I have already had two species that I never caught in 12 years just down the street - Muslin Moth and Poplar Kitten.

And a smattering of noctuids Ken - the best being single Clouded Brindle and Clouded-bordered Brindle last night.

Steve

Presumably subtle differences in the "local" habitat will produce "different" visitors Steve. Envy you your Poplar Kitten a fantastic moth! (I've only had one in 34 years), however last year I had Sallow Kitten for the first time....another stunner. :t:

A chap I knew when I first started mothing told me he only had a small garden but he would consistently get different moths if he moved the trap from one side to the other. Guess it was just because the light would be visible from different areas

A chap I knew when I first started mothing told me he only had a small garden but he would consistently get different moths if he moved the trap from one side to the other. Guess it was just because the light would be visible from different areas

....Thus one should take care...when "hiding one's light under a bushel" :-O

This week has produced arguably the best May I've had in almost 15 years trapping at my home in Nottingham.

Not big numbers but far more diversity than usual and three new species in 2 days is pretty amazing after such a long time.

A

Trapping at Titchfield Haven NNR last Friday night produced a couple of local specialities: nascia cilialis and Cream-bordered Green Pea.

Dave W

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back