• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

kstar_76 said:
Hi All,

was interested to observe an almost completely leucistic female pheasant.

Hi Kstar

Lovely report, glad to hear you had a good time. Blakeney Point is as you say 'a fascinating place'. Next time you come, walk to the Point from Cley beach carpark, its a long but amazing walk (bring drink and sandwiches + chocolate!), and you definately feel you have achieved something by the time you get back!!!! The 'leucistic female pheasant' at Holme you mention is the same one that sat in the grass hunched up looking like a owl for a split second once, as I put in an previous thread of mine!!!! Glad you went to Holkham, another really beautiful place. Well done with your new birds, you saw a good number of specious for a weekend. Lovely photos too. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Best Wishes Penny :t: :girl:

Norfolkbirder said:
Hi Tim,

Meeting Reepham birders in the Kings Weds night 815ish if you fancy a beer B :) (all birders welcome!), am in Notts this coming weekend for stag do, so you can guarantee some improvement in the birding!!

Ta Chris

Watcha Chris

yes, see you there, a bit of Abbott and a burger might be in order!!!

will bring Showler B :)

be nice to see a face or two from here... we are very friendly, honest.

had a brief visit to buckenham marsh and strumpshaw fen this afternoon..

at buckenham,was told by another birder the pools by the ruined pump house have dried up so spent most of my time on the track overlooking the two wader scrapes along the riverside..good views of the following included

ruff 20+
snipe
lapwing
one juv little stint was pointed out by another birder
two family groups of egyption geese
two large groups of canada,barnacle and greylag geese
also two red breasted geese were seen with the barnacle geese,plastic no doubt but still a treat to see!

three marsh harriers were seen hunting along the marsh/valley towards cantley.

an hour or so at strumpshaw had two further pairs of marsh harrier with sparrowhawk and a kestral.bearded tits could be heard well from the visitor centre but not seen..no bittern treat either!

matt

Last edited:
Penny Clarke said:
Hi Kstar

Lovely report, glad to hear you had a good time. Blakeney Point is as you say 'a fascinating place'. Next time you come, walk to the Point from Cley beach carpark, its a long but amazing walk (bring drink and sandwiches + chocolate!), and you definately feel you have achieved something by the time you get back!!!! The 'leucistic female pheasant' at Holme you mention is the same one that sat in the grass hunched up looking like a owl for a split second once, as I put in an previous thread of mine!!!! Glad you went to Holkham, another really beautiful place. Well done with your new birds, you saw a good number of specious for a weekend. Lovely photos too. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Best Wishes Penny :t: :girl:

Thanks Penny, glad you enjoyed your holiday too. I could easily spend a week birding in Norfolk, definately stay a bit longer next time :)

I would like to walk sometime to Blakeney Point, as its such a great place. How far is the walk? The white pheasant at Holme was bizzare to see, threw me for a minute too. Would have liked to get a photo and it was only a few metres away from us, but unfortunately I'd run out of batteries (after all the dodgy digiscoping lol 3:) )

kstar

PS Have you got any idea about the geese I saw at Holkham? Still wondering about that :)

Nice one Matt - i must try to call in around there again sometime

Rid over Stokesby levels on my way to work this morning but Couldn't see any harriers again, Further on though i did spot the local buzzard a bit of a way off from the road - prob somewhere by Salhouse broad at a guess. I gather its a bit of an everyday thing for people in other parts of the country, but not for me so it was something of a treat to see. Actually i had wondered if it (they?) had moved on but obviously not. Good.

Gorgeous blue sky all around too

Reminder

anyone fancy a beer tomorrow night - King's Head in Reepham, 8:15. Should be a few of us...

Also in the Alexandra Tavern, Norwich, on Thursdays, from 9.00

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Reminder

anyone fancy a beer tomorrow night - King's Head in Reepham, 8:15. Should be a few of us...

Also in the Alexandra Tavern, Norwich, on Thursdays, from 9.00

Tim
Thank you for kind invitation Tim, but would be difficult to get to Reepham after I finish work here in King's Lynn, thanks for offer though, have a good B :)
Best Wishes Penny

kstar_76 said:
I would like to walk sometime to Blakeney Point, as its such a great place. How far is the walk?

PS Have you got any idea about the geese I saw at Holkham? Still wondering about that :)

Hi Kstar

Its 5 miles each way to Blakeney Point and is hard going on the shingle if the tide is high, but it really is worth the walk though, as long as you have a rucksack full of goodies, eg chocolate etc!

I think the large flocks of geese you saw at Holkham were probably Pink Feet as well as grey lag, as they have started to arrive now, but I don't go to Holkham that often, I am sure a BF member who knows/goes to Holkham regularly will be able to tell you if the pink feet were there that day. (See Kstar's Post No 240 re: geese query).

Best Wishes Penny

beers and Blakeney

Tim - Could be tempted by a couple in the Alex on Thursday, but won't make it to Reepham.

Did the point yesterday pm. Very quite despite slightly more promising weather charts. Barn Owl, Winchat, and juv peregrine were new Blakeney birds for me, also a couple of spotshanks in pools on the way up. Nothing rare though. Lots of gannets, guillies and sterns etc feeding very close in - desperation due to poor feeding conditions out at sea? Some of the looked on their last legs.

p.s. added later - can be a bit tough going on the shingle, but there's fairly good paths most of the way from half way house. Stick to the top near the swada (good for migrants) where it's firmer or time it so you can walk along the beach at low tide. I tend to time it to go up through the Swada and down along exposed beach looking for seabirds, when I'm bored of migrant hunting. It seems like a fairly easy walk then.

Last edited:
A couple of lines of Pinkfeet this afternoon heading west over Wiverton....nearly winter guys and gals - dig them thermals out.

Blue morph Snow Goose at Holkham for the last couple of days with 3000+ pinks, and a Greenland White-front there today.

Winter undoubtedly on its way... but let's have some sibes first!

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Kstar

Its 5 miles each way to Blakeney Point and is hard going on the shingle if the tide is high, but it really is worth the walk though, as long as you have a rucksack full of goodies, eg chocolate etc!

I think the large flocks of geese you saw at Holkham were probably Pink Feet as well as grey lag, as they have started to arrive now, but I don't go to Holkham that often, I am sure a BF member who knows/goes to Holkham regularly will be able to tell you if the pink feet were there that day. (See Kstar's Post No 240 re: geese query).

Best Wishes Penny

Hi, KStar. Willbowell, Pink Hotel and I were there on the same day as you and there were quite a few Pink Feet in amongst the Greylags. Didn't do a count though so can't say how many.

Helen

The blue-phased Snow Goose is still present today ay Holkaham (per RBA) with 3000 Pink-feet, Greenland Whitefront, Barnicle and Pale-bellied Brent - the hybrid Pink-foot and Ross's is also presnt, so beware when looking for the Snow Goose.

Also had two swifts (common!) over Derham today with 3 House Martin - my latest ever record in Norfolk.

If anybody is interested, I had 2 Slavs with 2 Red-necked Grebes on the sea at Holkham on Saturday 30th Sept. We also had a single Firecrest in the pines near that big pond.
Cheers
Jono Leadley
www.indybirder.com

Have seen small numbers of Pink-feet for the last 10 days flying NW-SE and vice-versa over the house here; Happisburgh is en route between the Broads and the north Norfolk marshes. Goldcrests have appeared in the garden too but no sign of Siskins yet though.
It's good to see a Norfolk thread as the 'no. 1' birding county doesn't seem to have a dedicated website as do some others around the country.

James

spent the day touring around the north east coast today with my very tolerant (they need to be don't they!) non birder friend (who happens to drive:)).

highlights at sea palling

two red throated divers
sanderling
ringed plover
arctic skua
sandwich turns (8)

by coincidence we found the very fine little bird hide in the dunes just as the heavens opened,after sheltering here we indulged in some cholesterol replacement therapy and moved on to hickling broad/stubb mill.

not having enough time to wonder around hickling we made straight for stubb
mill,just in time to watch..

18 cranes
12 marsh harrier
1 barn owl
and countless numbers of geese!

all this happening in front of a perfect broadland full moon,we also had the whole place to ourselves!

matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back