• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Pelican at Paphos, Cyprus (3 Viewers)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I'm sorting through my 2000 pictures from the last two weeks in Cyprus and expect to post a few queries here.
This one could be the most difficult!
This bird flew over Paphos harbour last week (1 February) and by the time I had realized that it was a lot bigger than a gulll it was flying away. Hence these pictures are a bit distant at extensive digital zoom.
I thought it was a Great White Pelican. Is this a possibility? The wings were light underneath, edged with darker colour.
Alan

Attachments

• __Pelican1.JPG
    __Pelican1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 298
  • __Pelican2.JPG
    __Pelican2.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 269
  • __Pelican3.JPG
    __Pelican3.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 232
The way it appears to be holding its head up, rather than more level or down (as in attachment), inclines me to say this is a Grey Heron taking a flight with neck extended, rather than Crane. Could do with a better shot, but it is not a pelican anyhow.

Attachments

• Cranes thumb 2.jpg
    Cranes thumb 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Sorry, no better pictures available.
I didn't see any Herons or Cranes in Cyprus but there were a couple of Little Egrets. Is this a possibility?
Alan

I didn't see any Herons or Cranes in Cyprus but there were a couple of Little Egrets. Is this a possibility?
Alan

Though hard to gauge from the picture, I think it is the Grey Heron you didn't see ;)

Last edited:
Alan

I'd go for Grey Heron as well which are fairly common winter visitors to Cyprus.
Cheers

It's an obvious Grey Heron.

No. It's most likely a grey heron, I agree, but it's far from obvious and if you really think that you must have superhuman powers or have been there.
From these poor shots, it looks like it's got a long neck - which gives the impression of a crane, but if the observer thought at the time it might have been a pelican then at least it was worth asking the question on Bird forum.
I think it's a grey heron. But i do the poster the honour of at least thinking about it.

No. It's most likely a grey heron, I agree, but it's far from obvious and if you really think that you must have superhuman powers or have been there.

Are you sh*tting me? Superhuman powers?? As Jos said earlier, even without the benefit of the blown up photo, it's a Grey Heron taking off. It's obvious because that's exactly what Grey Herons look like

From these poor shots, it looks like it's got a long neck - which gives the impression of a crane,

Eh?! What, and Grey Herons have a short neck do they??! Whilst Grey Herons normally fly with their necks folded, they do frequently stretch their necks out in flight. Of course that's no what is painted in the field guide - that's where field experience comes in ;)

but if the observer thought at the time it might have been a pelican then at least it was worth asking the question on Bird forum.
I think it's a grey heron. But i do the poster the honour of at least thinking about it.

With all due respect, the poster also though an adult Cormorant in breeding nick in a good photo was a Red-throated Loon (sic) (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=106958) so maybe you should just make your own mind up from the photos?

It's a ****ing obvious Grey Heron.

BT. After a bottle of wine and a long, hard week :C

Are you sh*tting me? Superhuman powers?? As Jos said earlier, even without the benefit of the blown up photo, it's a Grey Heron taking off. It's obvious because that's exactly what Grey Herons look like

Eh?! What, and Grey Herons have a short neck do they??! Whilst Grey Herons normally fly with their necks folded, they do frequently stretch their necks out in flight. Of course that's no what is painted in the field guide - that's where field experience comes in ;)

With all due respect, the poster also though an adult Cormorant in breeding nick in a good photo was a Red-throated Loon (sic) (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=106958) so maybe you should just make your own mind up from the photos?

It's a ****ing obvious Grey Heron.

BT. After a bottle of wine and a long, hard week :C

Congratulations, you have won my nomination for BirdForum's Rudest Man...

Congratulations, you have won my nomination for BirdForum's Rudest Man...
I have to agree with that. it was not only rude, it was offensive.
I take a lot of time and a lot of care before putting identification queries on Birdforum. I will continue to post queries in the knowledge that most responses will be sympathetic and informative.
Alan

Bloody hell, what a lonely moron you must be BobTag! AlanR must be one of the nicest posters on this forum, always asking for honest, sincere help from other members, and here you are ripping him to pieces! No need for it.

I'm sure Alan will take absolutely no notice of your rant, and I hope he cotinues to post his questions.

Jason

Last edited:
Another vote for Grey Heron - and another vote for BobTag being BirdForum's Rudest Man.

It certainly isn't obvious that it's a heron, and although you, BobTag, may have observed them often in this way in the field, it gives you no right - however much knowledge you have - to be so foul-mouthed to other members.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back