• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Mallards? NE Pennsylvania USA (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Hey Everyone!

I'm pretty sure these are female Mallards or possibly a male in there that hasn't moulted, but I know American Black Ducks can look pretty close but I don't think the time is right for them to be there.

The picture was taken around July 19th, At Lake Wallenpaupack, Poconos Pennsylvania USA.

Thanks for the Help!
Matt

Attachments

• Mallards.jpg
    Mallards.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 50
Hi Matt,

Definitely all mallards. American Black Duck has a speculum without white borders, and the speculum is typically purple, not blue. Also the body is much darker brown, with a contrasting light head.

I believe the two birds on the left are males in eclipse plumage. Note the yellow bill, gray head, and somewhat rusty coloration on the breast. The bird on the right is a female or juvenile. Note the orange bill. Nice photo by the way. ;)

Best,
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, and thank you for the picture comment and also suggesting the camera that took the picture! :t:

Many thanks,
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back