• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Owl - dusting off the pencils. (1 Viewer)

Julian H

“Winter Sentinel”. Northern Hawk Owl, Peru, New York, Jan 2009.
Colored pencils on Bristol 300 Series paper.

Aside from notebook stuff and things sketched on napkins, I haven't really sat down and knocked stuff out in a looonnng time – job, kids, house…you all know the deal!

I decided to try some new stuff and bought some colored pencils for something more colorful. A bit of trial and error getting things to blend, getting the right color and choosing the right paper but I think this was a good test drive of a medium I haven't used much before.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• HO.jpg
    HO.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 234
Very nice but I'm a little put off by the bluish tint of the facial disc. Could be just my monitor, of course. . ..

My scanner is kaput, so the bluish tint is an artefact of the jpeg/pic capture. :)

This might be better and less bluish :)

Attachments

• HO copy.jpg
    HO copy.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Love it. Perhaps this a medium you should continue with looks like you have mastered the blending straight away. Look forward to more posts Sir.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I admit looking at the original piece, photographing it didn't do it any favors!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back