• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 15x56 bl MIG (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

I sent a short email to Doug at clny, I had a few questions on this model.

I recently sold the 15x58 ed that I had to another forum member.

I'm actually waiting to see the Zeiss Conquest HDS and compare them to the new Swarovski.

So while I'm waiting I thought I would give this newer model MINox a go.

Well I'm glad I did! Doug was spot on in his recommending this model.
If you do a search on these very little comes up!

A red flag maybe? That's what I was thinking!

Though I have my doubt's on being solely made in Germany, please look at the price.

The QC is first rate on these. Everything from build to the surprising optical quality, I'm floored really.

I will for sure be paying much more attention to this brand in the future.

I wish I had the ed's to compare first hand but, my gut feelings tell me these are better .

First is handling then focus, superb very smooth, light rresistance and accurate.
Diopter while I have now moved it one click it was dead on at zero!

Optics are very sharp with maybe just a hint of warmness, contrast is superb as well as the lack of ca which I found surprising.

All in all for what I'm into them for I can't complain.

For long distance viewing nothing compares to a good spotting scope.

But, the older I get the less I use a scope. The comfort of using two eyes for me trumps a scope any day.

Bryce...

PS. I will add a few pic's later.

Bryce:

Have you compared the 15x56 to the 15x58ED ?

From what I have gathered in reading some reviews, the 15x58 has better optics, but is a bit heavier.

Jerry

Bryce:

Have you compared the 15x56 to the 15x58ED ?

From what I have gathered in reading some reviews, the 15x58 has better optics, but is a bit heavier.

Jerry

Jerry, I recently sold the 58 so while I don't have it in hand, I do have many miles with it.

These are so close i will go out on a limb and say better!

Definitely the overall package is better on these.

Bryce...

Some pictures off back porch.

Bryce...

Attachments

• IMG_20140322_165318.jpg
    IMG_20140322_165318.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_20140322_165625.jpg
    IMG_20140322_165625.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_20140322_165104.jpg
    IMG_20140322_165104.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20140322_165154.jpg
    IMG_20140322_165154.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_20140322_165249.jpg
    IMG_20140322_165249.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 443
Bryce, You sure have my attention!
I have enjoyed Minox through the years. They have very good binoculars. It is good that they have kept up with getting out products that are of a high quality. I wouldn't get the BV series, but you indicate there are models that would be very satisfying! Thanks for reporting on the BL 15x56 mig.
Rob in TN.

Me too Bryce, would be a very interesting comparo.
If I can get my hands on these two I will do a proper review and post it.

Lee

That would be great Lee.

This isn't going to be a rush decision on my part.

Either way its going to be an investment, I will probably sell my Swaro 65 HD to fund the purchase.

In the mean time I have the Minox and I'm probably going to order the Vortex Vulture 15x56 that just came out.

Bryce...

Bryce:

I have been following your 15x56 quest. Lots of changes in the past year
it seems.
Just a year or so ago, in reviews that I have followed, the top rated model was the Swaro. 15x56 SLC, then followed by the Vortex Kaibab 15x56, and next the Minox 15x58ED. I do own the 15x58ED Minox, and I am pleased with its performance, but it does not get a lot of use.

Now both Swaro. and Vortex have new models available, Vortex has their new
Kaibab HD, with a list of $1,299. And the new Vulture 15x56 HD @ $499.
Zeiss has a new Conquest available so things are growing in the 15x56 ranks.

Doug at CL is clearing out the previous Kaibab at a discount price, $899, and I am thinking it would have more performance than the other 2 you have now mentioned as
owning.

Let us know how they work for you.

Jerry

Bryce:

I have been following your 15x56 quest. Lots of changes in the past year
it seems.
Just a year or so ago, in reviews that I have followed, the top rated model was the Swaro. 15x56 SLC, then followed by the Vortex Kaibab 15x56, and next the Minox 15x58ED. I do own the 15x58ED Minox, and I am pleased with its performance, but it does not get a lot of use.

Now both Swaro. and Vortex have new models available, Vortex has their new
Kaibab HD, with a list of $1,299. And the new Vulture 15x56 HD @ $499.
Zeiss has a new Conquest available so things are growing in the 15x56 ranks.

Doug at CL is clearing out the previous Kaibab at a discount price, $899, and I am thinking it would have more performance than the other 2 you have now mentioned as
owning.

Let us know how they work for you.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize they were going to clear them out so rapidly, the new model with updated coatings was recently released so I figured pricing was going to stay consistent with that model.

Bryce...

The model with MPN 62045 makes no mention of being made in Germany. The model with MPN 62044 specifies Made in Germany. They seem to be the same binocular, so maybe the new 62045 is being made in China ? I'll call Minox when I can and see what the difference is.

Bryce

The CA control is equal to the 15X58 ED? I wonder how they pull that off.

That's a typo on the picture, they are showing the same binocular which is the most recent release.

Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back