• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (3 Viewers)

Last visit this morning with Rich H. Two female Wheatears in the meadow, at least three LRPs, two Common Terns in the workings and warblers everywhere. Things are looking up. Good luck over the next few months.

Bar Tailed Godwit found by Kev Duncan on the meadow this morning & still present when I left just after 10:15. Cheers Kev!

John.

At the end of the first day the Bar-tailed Godwit remains in the meadow. The Redshank was joined by a second feeding in the main flood. At 19:30 there both flew off high but returned to land in the workings.

Kevin

Sounds like I've missed a pretty decent week! Website stuff sounds exciting; more than happy to help with that any way I can.
Will be heading to Tice's later if the weather isn't too horrendous, so will probably see you there, Kevin.
All the best, Rich, see you again soon.

Matt.

The Bar-tailed Godwit remains in the meadow for the second day (near the roll of fencing wire) at 10:00. I'm surprised it remained as it was flushed as was everything at 08:00 by a dog walking around the meadow with two gun dogs. He has prefect control of them using hand signals and whistle but also unfortunately a signal for the dogs to run anywhere they like, which they do!!

Kevin

Sounds like I've missed a pretty decent week! Website stuff sounds exciting; more than happy to help with that any way I can.
Will be heading to Tice's later if the weather isn't too horrendous, so will probably see you there, Kevin.
All the best, Rich, see you again soon.

Matt.

Hi Matt,
As you are an expert on plants when you visit Tices next time can you check a plant for me. If you take the path from the concrete bridge towards the gap in the hedge where we use to go up the bank. They are along the edge of the ditch. A white flower and in a large clump.

Thanks
Kevin (using RTH computer)

Hi Matt,
As you are an expert on plants when you visit Tices next time can you check a plant for me. If you take the path from the concrete bridge towards the gap in the hedge where we use to go up the bank. They are along the edge of the ditch. A white flower and in a large clump.

Thanks
Kevin (using RTH computer)

Hi Kevin,

Only just seen this now, having returned from Tice's today, sorry - will be sure to have a look next time I'm there.
Great afternoon though, in great company: Rich H, Dave B and John H. Nice also to meet Dave Smith. The birds didn't disappoint either, with the Bar-tailed Godwit still showing well with two Redshanks in the silt pond. Four Wheatear were hopping about in the muddy area between the meadow and workings, where Dave B also picked up a very smart Whinchat! Four Common Tern were lingering around the workings. Dave Smith picked up a Hobby passing through fast and low through the trees before it disappeared towards Tongham. Lots of hirundines, and ever increasing numbers of Swifts, with at least 20 hawking about by the time Dave B and I left at c.18:30hrs. John and Dave Smith left earlier, Tongham GP-bound, where I believe they caught up with a Common Sand, although I'm sure John will be along to report on that.

Matt.

Last edited:
John and Dave Smith left earlier, Tongham GP-bound, where I believe they caught up with a Common Sand, although I'm sure John will be along to report on that.

Matt.

Yes indeed he will, walked in from the Northern end of the pit where I usually find them in Spring but no sign. I decided to walk on & met Dave S about halfway along who said he had flushed one. We scanned along the edges of the lake & eventually Dave managed to relocate the bird. Nice to catch up with another annual Tices/Tongham passage migrant, things are certainly picking up now!

John.

Yes indeed he will, walked in from the Northern end of the pit where I usually find them in Spring but no sign. I decided to walk on & met Dave S about halfway along who said he had flushed one. We scanned along the edges of the lake & eventually Dave managed to relocate the bird. Nice to catch up with another annual Tices/Tongham passage migrant, things are certainly picking up now!

John.

With regards the annual passage migrant are you talking about the common sandpiper or Dave Smith? I wish Dave would let us know when he is popping in cos something good always turns up when he is there! Great little social with lots to look at. Rich S stay safe. Kevin where were you??:king:

Am just interested in how to view this site? I presume that it is still only from the raised bank which runs from the entrance at Lower Farnham Road. Or are there other and better viewing areas now? as everything always seems very distant from there.

Allen,

You are correct in that the only viewing area of the workings is from the embankment albeit in it's much reduced form. However the flooded meadow can also be viewed from the fence line which is slightly closer. I would disagree that everything is distant, for example yesterday's Barwit & Whinchat could be viewed from the bank at reasonably close range, as can the migrant Wheatears currently on site.

John.

Last edited:
With regards the annual passage migrant are you talking about the common sandpiper or Dave Smith?

Ha both! I discussed sightings at Tices/Tongham with Dave & he was genuinely impressed with what we have collectively found over the last few years. Increased coverage greatly increases our chances of connecting with something good.

John.

Popped down this afternoon, things have quietened down after the weekend. Three Wheatears still present on the meadow with 1 particularly bright individual, 3 LRP, 5 min Reed Warblers, 4 Whitethroat, 2 each of Chiffies & Blackcap. In the workings I managed to locate Tices' first Common Sandpiper this Spring, also a Kestrel that flushed the LRP's. No sign of either the Barwit or Whinchat though.

John.

Kevin where were you??:king:

I went soft!! After being at Tices 6am - 8pm on Saturday then crashing in the car overnight follow by a 7am start on Sunday after the heavy rain had passed. Then after 3 hours in some rain and the cold strong wind RTH offered a cup of tea. I could not refuse but as I left his the real heavy rain started. I decided to call it a day and go home.
I didn't make it home but stopped of in the Windsor Great Park to wait for the heavy rain to pass and then to view a flood created by the heavy rain. After I went to Dorney Lake Lake and refound the Grey Plover found the day before and then spotted a Black-tailed Godwit (ssp.limosa) not the normal ssp islandia. So it was a good couple of days.

Kevin

Not much to report first thing apart from 3 Weatears 1 being Greenland female 11am at Kiln Yellow Wagtail flew off over Kiln into horse field Common Sandpiper in dich by horse and a Parakeet flew over Kiln towards Tices Housing estate.

In the tradition of Rich S Tices Day Out thinking of Lakenheath Ect Tus 29th May. Book your place 2 seats already taken . May have to hire mini bus or coach to cramped in the back of my one i think.Let me know what you think
Rich H

Not too much to report this evening either, plenty of Sand Martins hawking over the meadow, 4 Wheatear on the meadow, 3 Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, 3 Whitethroat, calling Reed Bunting, hunting Kestrel, & at least 3 LRP around the site.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back