• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent Minox warranty service! (2 Viewers)

sammyboy

A couple of years ago I bought a secondhand pair of Minox BD 8x32 BR binoculars off eBay for the bargain price of £36. When I got them I could see why they were so cheap - the eyepiece coatings look like they'd been cleaned with sandpaper, there was a large scratch on one objective lens, the 'Minox' sticker was missing off the front, focusser was graunchy and full of sand and the IPD was so slack that if you put the bins down the optic tubes would move apart by themselves! Despite all that they still gave an excellent view, despite the abuse they'd obviously recieved the quality still showed through.

Last month I decided on a nice new pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x42s to replace the Minoxes with, relegating them to a backup pair. I mentioned about the state of the battered Minoxes on here, and shortly afterwards got a PM off someone from the service department of Minox in Germany suggesting I sent them in for a free service. I also had been in contact with Rob Spicer from Minox UK who was very helpful and replied promptly to my emails. I sent the binoculars to him, who sent them off to Germany for their service. I put in a note detailing the above problems - also one of the twist up eyecups had come adrift and often came off when I tried adjusting it - the other one was pretty reluctant to move as well.

Rob kept in touch with me, replied quickly to my queries and warned me it may take a little while longer to get the binoculars back as their service department was busier than usual. Well, today - about 3 weeks after I sent them off, I got my Minoxes back!

They looked like a new pair of binoculars - rubber armour replaced, eyecups moved smoothly, focusser lovely and smooth, new 'Minox' badge, immaculate lenses and coatings - they looked like a new pair of binoculars! I looked then at the paperwork that came with the binoculars.... and they were in fact another pair! Different serial number, they obviously weren't new, there was a tiny dent on the focus wheel, few minute marks on the armour but not a problem at all. They even sent the binoculars back with a set of lens caps - the one-piece eyepiece rainguard and two objective covers - excellent!

I'm very pleased with the service I've recieved from Minoxes' service department, who have replaced the binocular despite me not being the original owner, kept me informed throughout the process and quite prompt service despite sending to Germany and high demand. In fact, I'm seriously considering keeping these little Minoxes and selling the recently-acquired Vortex binoculars!

(I don't work for or are connected with Minox by the way!)

Definately beyond the call of duty - in fact I would probably sell the binoculars I bought to replace the previously-tatty Minoxes with! I've recently also just sent off a lovely little pair of old Zeiss 8x20b binoculars for a service after a PM from one of their engineers, it will be interesting to see how the service of the two companies compare.

I must email Rob at Minox UK and thank him for the service and that I've got the binoculars safely :)

Hi Sammy. Today I dropped my Minox HG 8X43s and one of the eyecups is bent and no longer moves. I can't find any reference to a UK contact for service on the main Minox site. I tried googling Minox UK but the only result said that the company no longer exists. Do you have a number or email address for Rob Spicer or do I now have to deal directly with the German headquarters?

Ron

Sorry to hear about your Minoxes, their service in my experience has been slightly better than Zeisses too I have to say!

Yes got an address and phone/fax no for Minox UK:

960 Capability Green
Luton, Bedfordshire,
LU1 3PE
Tel +44 (0) 1582 635 544
Fax +44 (0) 1582 635 244

I've got Rob's email which I can PM you if you need it too :)

I spoke to Rob on the phone this morning and he was very helpful and told me to send the bins to him at Minox UK. As they have been dropped he will probably send them to Germany to be checked over for collimation etc. They are now in the hands of Royal Mail so I will see how long the repair takes and how much it costs. Fingers crossed!

Ron

Think it took about a month or so to get them back, mine were sent to Germany too - and they actually replaced the binoculars too! I found the communication was very good too, was kept informed all the way through :)

Somehow I can't see them replacing my binoculars as they are ex-demos. It would be nice if they did, though! I will have to see how long it takes but in the meantime I can give my little Trinovids a bit of an airing. (That doesn't sound quite how I intended.)

Ron

You'd be surprised, my pair were brought secondhand off Ebay cheaply, a lot of the damage had occurred with the previous owner too! They should replace them if needs be, can't praise their CS highly enough (and no, I'm not in any way linked to them!)

I sent the bins off on Monday and received an email from Rob Spicer today to tell me that he had received them in his office. He is sending them to Germany on Friday to have them repaired and serviced. He will let me know if there is an estimate for any work before it is carried out. He also noticed that there is a slight grating noise from the focusing wheel (which I hadn't noticed) and will get them to check that out too.

He will let me know when they are on the way back to me and expects turn-around to be 1-3 weeks. Needless to say I am very impressed with the service so far. It is nice to be kept in touch with what is happening.:t:

Ron

I have just received another email from Rob Spicer to tell me that my bins have been repaired and the service department in Germany should be sending them back to me today. I should have them in a couple of days. I enquired about the cost and he told me that there is NO CHARGE. That is fantastic news. Top marks to Minox.B :)

I will give another report when I have received them and I will make sure that the strap never comes undone again!

Ron

Awesome service! I'm very happy for you!

Also glad to hear as fellow Minox HG owner.
Good bins are a horrible thing to lose! :)

I'll be looking forward to hearing the report once you have them back.

Last edited:
The courier delivered my binoculars about an hour ago and I have been giving them a quick check over. I am pleased to say that they seem perfect once more. The Minox service department has replaced the right hand eye cup, checked them over and thoroughly cleaned the optics and body. They have also included a new rain guard as I didn't include the original one when I returned them for service. I have reattached the strap, doubling the tail back for extra security and will probably add a couple of stitches once I am sure that the adjustment is correct.

I am delighted with the service from Minox and I think it is brilliant that they have repaired them free of charge, as it was not their fault that I dropped them. I wasn't even charged for return delivery. I would have no hesitation in recommending Minox for the quality of the product and its after sales service, which is just as important. It feels great to have bought from a company which is proud to look after its products and care for its customers. :t::t:

Ron

As a Minox owner its nice to know about the excellent customer service. Although I hope I never have to use it. ;) Thanks Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back