• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How big is the WP list ?? (1 Viewer)

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
As far as I know there is not a standard published Western Palearctic list; the website Netfugl contains a scandinavian-viewpoint version but they do not recognise a lot of splits accepted elsewhere. I have recently worked out a list based on BWP Concise and Clements - it comes to just over 900 species, not including pending records such as those from Iceland this autumn. It should be noted that BWP Concise includes lots of 'unknown origin' or probable escapees, which I have excluded. I have seen 601 of them.

If anyone knows of a list on the internet anywhere please let me know. My effort, English names only, is available if anyone wants to peruse it - it is xls so I can't attach it.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve.

I have done quite a bit of trawling of the internet for bird list as part of my work on GGBC and have not found a really good WP site.

This one is quite interesting but has too many splits for my liking.

This one looks very good but is still under construction so not all species are covered.

If you want to attach your spreadsheet add it to a zip file and then attach that. I'd be interested to see your list.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back