• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Around and about

Bishop Middleham this afternoon:

2 Corn Hunting, 1 Little-ringed Plover, 6 Yellow Wagtail (1 Blue-headed Wagtail), 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler and Swallow and Sand Martin all around Castle Lake.

Seaton Common to look for the Lapland Bunting and Hooded Crow but did not see either. However, while looking for both I did see a Ruff, Green Sandpiper and a stunning pair of Gargeny on the pools next to the North Gare access road.

Last edited:
RSPB Saltholme - am - a first for the reserve with Avocets nesting at Paddy's Pool.

Also present at Paddy's Pool - Golden Plover, Brent Geese x2, Shoveler, Oystercatcher.

A few Swallows and Sand Martin around again but no sign of any activity at the colony wall when I was there.

A Sparrowhawk was seen in flight between Haverton Scrub and the Middle Tank.

Video clip of the Avocets at RSPB Saltholme - http://youtu.be/FA_23LzUyGo

Attachments

• IMG_7224a.jpg
    IMG_7224a.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7314a.jpg
    IMG_7314a.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7334a.jpg
    IMG_7334a.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7442a.jpg
    IMG_7442a.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7504a.jpg
    IMG_7504a.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 60
Bishop Middleham this afternoon:

2 Corn Hunting, 1 Little-ringed Plover, 6 Yellow Wagtail (1 Blue-headed Wagtail), 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler and Swallow and Sand Martin all around Castle Lake.

Seaton Common to look for the Lapland Bunting and Hooded Crow but did not see either. However, while looking for both I did see a Ruff, Green Sandpiper and a stunning pair of Gargeny on the pools next to the North Gare access road.

Hi Andy,
I saw a blue headed type Yellow Wagtail at Bidh Mid on saturday morning and believe it was Channel Wagtail rather than pure flava.

Also I was rather surprised to see a Dipper on the River Wear this morning, actually on the weirs in the town centre. Stunning birds!

Hi Andy,
I saw a blue headed type Yellow Wagtail at Bidh Mid on saturday morning and believe it was Channel Wagtail rather than pure flava.

Also I was rather surprised to see a Dipper on the River Wear this morning, actually on the weirs in the town centre. Stunning birds!

Hi Michael,

It was a Channel Wagtail; the head was a light grey colour in shade and the supercilium extended right along the head which gave the bird an almost 'capped' appearance. There was little contrast between the super and the head as the head was that light grey in shade. In strong sunlight I bet it looks fairly stunning. There was a Channel Wagtail at Bish Mid last year and also a Blue-headed Wag, presumably this bird is the same as last years.

Dippers are now found along parts of the River Wear not previously inhabited; thankfully they are not to uncommon in Durham city. Great to see them extending their range so much. I never saw Dipper all that much when I started birding some 7 years ago but they are a regular site now, got to love them. :eek!:

Cheers,

Wagtail:

Hi Andy,

##

Hi Michael

That is really interesting. I had trouble deciding about this bird yesterday. I went through Alstrom's book on returning home, but it does not review or include birds from hybrid zones!

Intermediate forms from these wagtails will always be interesting and I noticed that head colouration was noticably pale. It was a stunning bird and I would like to see more of the flava subspecies.

Where exactly did you see the Dipper?

Andy

What Gull?

Photographed this bird at Iona ferry landing on friday. I have an idea what it is but would like someone to confirm my ID.

Cheers, Mick.

Attachments

• IMG_9929.jpg
    IMG_9929.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9903.jpg
    IMG_9903.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9897.jpg
    IMG_9897.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 76
Photographed this bird at Iona ferry landing on friday. I have an idea what it is but would like someone to confirm my ID.

Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick,

I see Mark has already replied with Glaucous Gull; in regards to age I would agree with 1st winter starting to moult into 1st summer. Looks a bit small so perhaps a female Glaucous Gull? Got nice dipped in ink black tip to bill and primaries just say extend beyond tail.

Nice looking bird! :t:

Cheers,

Around Bollihope today, 2 pair Ring Ouzel nesting, x1 S.E.O. 7+ Willow Warbler, x2 Common Buzzard.

Attachments

• Willow Warbler.jpg
    Willow Warbler.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 54
  • Willow Warbler_0247.jpg
    Willow Warbler_0247.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 60
Bollihope area and Low Barns

I went early up to Bollihope yesterday and saw 3 Ring Ouzels there and another 5, just up the valley from there. I also saw a black cock displaying and although that was the only male there there were 2 females. 2 woodcock flew up from about 10 yards away, and there was a dipper flying up the stream. Onto Tunstall woods to look for Redstart without any luck but there was a smashing male Pied Flycatcher there, testing out the nestboxes. There was also Grey Wagtail and Common Sandpiper on the dam wall. At Low Barns here was a fly past kingfisher on Marston Lake and a pair of Great Crested Grebe displaying and nest building.

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/weardale-again.html

Attachments

• Great-Crested-Grebe.jpg
    Great-Crested-Grebe.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Pied-Flycatcher2.jpg
    Pied-Flycatcher2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Pied-Flycatcher4.jpg
    Pied-Flycatcher4.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The Dipper was on the Weirs in Durham city itself, on the weir by Milburngate bridge.

Sorry Andrew, I knew it was channel didn't put my point over well. Well done on finding it btw Andrew!

Seaton Common - am - Yellow Wagtail x2, Wheatear x5, Linnet x6.

Saltholme Pond west - 7.30am - Avocet x3 outside front of hide.

Cowpen Marsh by Seal Sands Roundabout - Whimbrel x9.

Dormans Pool - Grasshopper Warbler x1, Linnet x4, Stonechat x2, Reed Warbler 15+, Blackcap singing. Short-eared Owl hunting area by lower car park at 8.30am.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - Common Whitethroat x5 - first I've seen this year, Blackcap 7+, lots of Willow Warbler & Chiffchaff. Great Spotted Woodpecker. Sparrowhawk & Kestrel x2 males over Faith Wood. Lake very quiet only birds of note were a Cormorant and Heron x3.

Video clip - Yellow Wagtail - http://youtu.be/MM5paI6O2gs

Attachments

• IMG_7873a.jpg
    IMG_7873a.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8001a.jpg
    IMG_8001a.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8161a.jpg
    IMG_8161a.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8183a.jpg
    IMG_8183a.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8292a.jpg
    IMG_8292a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 71
RSPB Saltholme - am - Grasshopper Warbler at Haverton Viewpoint. Glossy Ibis reported there later seen by others.

Haverton Scrub - Tree Sparrow, Bullfinch, Linnet, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff.

Wheatear by Haverton Gate.

Paddy's Pool - Avocet pair still present. Brent Goose x2 in the distance on Back Saltholme.

Saltholme Hide - Avocet with colour rings, six reported there earlier. Dunlin x1, LRP x2, Black-tailed Godwit x3, Redshank. Goldeneye male on Back Saltholme. Several Swallow and a few Sand Martin.

Common Tern x1 reported by others on Back Saltholme last night and two reported this morning over Visitor Centre plus possible Sedge Warbler by Wildlife Watchpoint.

Grasshopper Warbler & SEO reported again at Dormans Pool.

Whimbrel x10 still on Cowpen Marsh.

Yellow Wagtail & Hooded Crow still on Seaton Common this afternoon.

Dormans Pool -pm - Lesser Whitethroat singing by the level crossing in bushes towards rear of Petro Plus. Also Blackcap and Grasshopper Warbler still.

Teesside - Yesterday

Dormans - short eared owl, linnet, possibly two grasshopper warbler, stonechat pair, wren, backcap.
Saltholme Hide - 3 Black tailed godwit, LR plover, dunlin, white wagtail, reed bunting, meadow pipits, skylark, 5 swallows, goldeneye and 4 avocets overhead.
Paddys Hide - 2 avocets amongst the BH gulls and 1 IanF :t:.
WWPoint - 2 LR Plover, coot with chick and little grebe.
Phil Stead Hide - little grebe, kestrel, distant little egret, gadwall etc.

North Gare access road - 3 wheatear, meadow pipits and skylark.

Zinkworks Road - Kestrel and 4 linnets.

At least 6 distant whimbrel at Cowpen Marsh

Attachments

• _MG_7298.jpg
    _MG_7298.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_7379.jpg
    _MG_7379.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_7411.jpg
    _MG_7411.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_7476.jpg
    _MG_7476.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_8512.jpg
    _MG_8512.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 62
Few more from yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_7491.jpg
    _MG_7491.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_7535.jpg
    _MG_7535.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_7569.jpg
    _MG_7569.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_7754.jpg
    _MG_7754.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 48
  • _MG_7909.jpg
    _MG_7909.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 47
Last lot, including one of the distant whimbrel.

Attachments

• _MG_7614.jpg
    _MG_7614.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_7638.jpg
    _MG_7638.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_7657.jpg
    _MG_7657.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_7937.jpg
    _MG_7937.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_8415.jpg
    _MG_8415.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 71
Dormans Pool - 8.00am - Marsh Harrier x2 - male and female. Female headed over to Saltholme Ponds where it was mobbed by Crows and flew off north. Common Tern x5 flying NE over the screen towards estuary from Salthome Ponds. Also Grasshopper Warbler, Blackcap, Linnet, Dunnock with fledglings x4. Several Swallows & Sand Martin, LRP and distant view of Swift over Saltholme Hide.

RSPB Saltholme - Paddy's Pool - Avocet x4, Common Tern x2 one with blue ring on left leg, Yellow Wagtail. Walking back to visitor centre Swift overhead with House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow feeding over Kestrel Trail.

Attachments

• IMG_9184a.jpg
    IMG_9184a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9191a.jpg
    IMG_9191a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9326a.jpg
    IMG_9326a.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9501a.jpg
    IMG_9501a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9362a.jpg
    IMG_9362a.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 63
Dormans Pool

Dormans Pool - 8.00am - Marsh Harrier x2 - male and female. Female headed over to Saltholme Ponds where it was mobbed by Crows and flew off north. Common Tern x5 flying NE over the screen towards estuary from Salthome Ponds. Also Grasshopper Warbler, Blackcap, Linnet, Dunnock with fledglings x4. Several Swallows & Sand Martin, LRP and distant view of Swift over Saltholme Hide.

RSPB Saltholme - Paddy's Pool - Avocet x4, Common Tern x2 one with blue ring on left leg, Yellow Wagtail. Walking back to visitor centre Swift overhead with House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow feeding over Kestrel Trail.

###

Hi Ian, is the Grasshopper Warbler around the bottom Carpark area?

Thanks

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back