• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white head, white tail, larger than crow in VT (1 Viewer)

ekajati

A few days ago (Feb 24)I saw a bird in Barnet, Vermont that was dark brown/ black, except for its whit tail and white head. So far I have only seen finches and crows here. It was about the size or a bit larger than the crows. Anyone know what this is? I thought it was a bald eagle, but do they have a white tail? I saw a bald eagle upstate NY last summer- it swooped right over our heads, really cool!

Hi ekajati and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'm sorry I can't help with the identification, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can.

D

A few days ago (Feb 24)I saw a bird in Barnet, Vermont that was dark brown/ black, except for its whit tail and white head. So far I have only seen finches and crows here. It was about the size or a bit larger than the crows. Anyone know what this is? I thought it was a bald eagle, but do they have a white tail? I saw a bald eagle upstate NY last summer- it swooped right over our heads, really cool!

Bald Eagle was the first thing that came to mind hear too.

An adult Bald Eagle would be much much larger than a crow. Cornell's Birds of North America Online lists the adult Bald Eagle at 71 to 96 cm head to tip of tail. BNA list the American Crow at 43 to 53 cm. Big difference...almost double.

What about the bill & legs/feet. Bright yellow on an adult Bald Eagle. Black on a American Crow. Do you recall the color of the bill & legs of your bird?

Hello All, this was my first post and thank you so much for your responses. I asked around locally today and yes, they have bald eagles here! Apparently there are quite a few of them near the Connecticut River, West from here. I am a beginner so forgive me for not making the most detailed description and being unsure of the size. But it was big and had "frayed wings". Looking forward to Spring!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back