• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos 2012 (4 Viewers)

Thanks Steve and Sandra for the advice - all booked up now for the w/c 12/5 at the Aphrodite Hotel in Molyvos ! They'll be a few early morning starts to drive down to Skala Kallonis or Napi valley (looks like there's a cut through from the Petra-Kalloni road) for about 6.15 am !

Already armed with a copy of your book Steve - it will be interesting to see how the island has changed since my one and only visit in 2006.

Tony
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/sets/

Last edited:
They'll be a few early morning starts to drive down to Skala Kallonis or Napi valley (looks like there's a cut through from the Petra-Kalloni road)

Hi Tony, I visited Lesvos in August '11 - and found the shortcut you mention not very tempting with an ordinary car. Rough surface and lots of holes and dumps and bumps made me skip this. - But others might have other experience with this road than me.;)

The Kremastes bridge track between the Kalloni/Petra road and Aghia Paraskevi/Napi Valley has always been drivable with care and can be a rewarding route, especially in and around the Kremastes bridge and some of the olive groves can be good for Sombre Tit, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, etc. and at the Napi end it can be excellent for passage raptors (it can be very good at holding flocks of Red-footed Falcons between the bridge and the main Napi road). The fact the track needs to be driven slowly is an advantage as you can see things on the way through!

The Kremastes bridge track between the Kalloni/Petra road and Aghia Paraskevi/Napi Valley has always been drivable with care and can be a rewarding route, especially in and around the Kremastes bridge and some of the olive groves can be good for Sombre Tit, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, etc. and at the Napi end it can be excellent for passage raptors (it can be very good at holding flocks of Red-footed Falcons between the bridge and the main Napi road). The fact the track needs to be driven slowly is an advantage as you can see things on the way through!

I agree Steve - we were late finding this road and always retraced the journey back to the main road we'd come from. Then one day we carefully carried on from the bridge and so glad we found this area - it's a delight.

Sandra

I agree Steve - we were late finding this road and always retraced the journey back to the main road we'd come from. Then one day we carefully carried on from the bridge and so glad we found this area - it's a delight.

Sandra

Super Track for M.S.Woodpecker,keep one eye out for the Snakes :-C:C:-C

Hi Sandra. I've only really started to spend more time along the Kremastes track in the last few years and really didn't cover it at all in my book other than pointing to it on the Napi valley map. So if you haven't explored this area yet, then do so when you're next on the island. A picnic lunch by the bridge is a great way to watch the area too. Its amazing what jumps in/out of the river here when you're at there filling your face.

Hans - thanks for the warning though if i'm going to get to napi valley and plantania (where my hoopoe avatar pic was taken, just round the corner from the olive tree warbler cattle grid !) and back in reasonable time i think i will have to risk it !!

Steve / Sandra - thanks again for the info. I presume you were just driving a normal cheap rental car, rather than a 4wd ??

Off to Gambia again in 6 weeks but I'm far more excited about getting back to Lesvos again after 5 years away !!

Tony
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/sets/

Last edited:
Hi Sandra. I've only really started to spend more time along the Kremastes track in the last few years and really didn't cover it at all in my book other than pointing to it on the Napi valley map. So if you haven't explored this area yet, then do so when you're next on the island. A picnic lunch by the bridge is a great way to watch the area too. Its amazing what jumps in/out of the river here when you're at there filling your face.

Thanks Steve - yes, we'll spend a day round there. We always make a point of driving to the bridge - usually see hoopoe on the way in the fields - but never went further than that. We are on the island for two weeks from 5th (? Saturday) May.

Steve / Sandra - thanks again for the info. I presume you were just driving a normal cheap rental car, rather than a 4wd ??

Off to Gambia again in 6 weeks but I'm far more excited about getting back to Lesvos again after 5 years away !!

Tony

Yes Tony - we always hire a Group A car, nothing bigger. Arranging for a car from Tsalis I think this year for the two weeks.

We feel the same about Lesvos too - only missed once in c8 yrs and even then Bob had to go later in the year - on his own.

Sandra

Hi Sandra - I saw Tsalis were a recommended link on Steve's website but it seems you have to request the car you want before seeing a price which makes comparison with other suppliers very difficult. Steve's website suggests €224 less 15% for a 7 day hire but the same car seems to be only £124 from "economy car hire". Wondered if there might be hidden extras but their website says;

Not just a cheap price!
Unlike other car hire brokers, our prices always include full Collision Damage Waiver with No Insurance Excess to pay in the event of Collision Damage or Theft.

5% Online Discount
FREE Additional Driver
Full Collision Damage Waiver
Full Theft Waiver
No Insurance Excess

Tony

Hi Sandra - I saw Tsalis were a recommended link on Steve's website but it seems you have to request the car you want before seeing a price which makes comparison with other suppliers very difficult. Steve's website suggests €224 less 15% for a 7 day hire but the same car seems to be only £124 from "economy car hire". Wondered if there might be hidden extras but their website says;

Not just a cheap price!
Unlike other car hire brokers, our prices always include full Collision Damage Waiver with No Insurance Excess to pay in the event of Collision Damage or Theft.

5% Online Discount
FREE Additional Driver
Full Collision Damage Waiver
Full Theft Waiver
No Insurance Excess

Tony

A friend who went with Economy Cars had one that was a few years old. It looked tatty but they were happy with it as it was pretty cheap. It ran OK but the door took a bit of slamming to shut it - just minor points! Although our car was almost brand new when we received it, it looked a bit sandy/dusty when we returned it.

"Unlike other car hire brokers" : in our experience the 5 items on the list above are always included in the hire. If not, make sure they are.

For the past 3 years or so we've hired from Billy's in Petra but because Tsalis is recommended by Steve, and is in Skala Kalloni we will try them this year. And they were so professional and polite when we told them last year we were going with Billy's. If you want to compare prices just email 3 or 4 car hire companies and ask them their best price for a Group A or whatever you need, and quote those additions above. They'll send you a price - and you can choose which you want. Simples! We always have the car delivered to our hotel the morning after we arrive.

Hope you make a good decision

Sandra

A friend who went with Economy Cars had one that was a few years old. It looked tatty but they were happy with it as it was pretty cheap. It ran OK but the door took a bit of slamming to shut it - just minor points! Although our car was almost brand new when we received it, it looked a bit sandy/dusty when we returned it.

"Unlike other car hire brokers" : in our experience the 5 items on the list above are always included in the hire. If not, make sure they are.

For the past 3 years or so we've hired from Billy's in Petra but because Tsalis is recommended by Steve, and is in Skala Kalloni we will try them this year. And they were so professional and polite when we told them last year we were going with Billy's. If you want to compare prices just email 3 or 4 car hire companies and ask them their best price for a Group A or whatever you need, and quote those additions above. They'll send you a price - and you can choose which you want. Simples! We always have the car delivered to our hotel the morning after we arrive.

Hope you make a good decision

Sandra

Hi Sandra

yes i used a web comparison site to find the cheapest options which is how i came up with economy car hire. Didnt like the look of the very cheapest, economy car hire were the second cheapest... I'd prefer to use tsalis but at about £60 more expensive over a week its difficult to justify. I've asked them if they can get close/closer to the other quote and if they do I will go with them.

Tony

Last edited:
Spring update - flights and day trips

Thomas Cook
I spoke with Thomas Cook today and they are happy with the response from birders to the two special early birder flights they've put on. They wouldn't give me a figure for bums on seats booked, but bookings are good. Lets get those plane filled and give them the message we want them for 2013 too!

Day trips
My day trips are booking up. Only a handful of places left during the first two weeks (22 Apr to 4 May) but plenty of places still remaining from 6 - 18 May.

Boat trips
I've been trying again to set up some boat trips along the north coast to look for shearwaters, Audouin's Gull, dolphins and Monk Seal. Unfortunately I've not been able to progress this but will try again before we head out there.

Lesvos 5 May 2012 - Manchester

Called in at Thomas Cook Macclesfield yesterday, the girl on the terminal
said that there was no availability from Manchester from 5 May.
Strangely she also said there was nothing showing (even as fully booked) from Man'y on the 5th May, the first flight was showing as 12 May .
Unless there's some late change on Thomas Cook's part, looks like we'll be skipping this year.
Couldn't book until my & T's 2012 holidays were confirmed at work this month.
Good luck everyone though.

Does anyone know if the road opposite the plantania road (ie "the mavria track", the road with the masts ?) is driveable in a normal car ? If so it looks like I might be able to get to plantania more quickly from Molivos using this road from near Kapi, as opposed to using the petra/kalloni road, kremastes and then coming up from Napi.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm planning on visiting Lesvos w/c 21st May for a fortnight. I have been unable to find any flights at this time, even on the Thomas Cook website. Does anybody have an suggestions? Hoping to B&B it whilst driving around the island, my partner isnt much of a birder but Ill be able to fit in a few mornings birding.

Hello,

I'm planning on visiting Lesvos w/c 21st May for a fortnight. I have been unable to find any flights at this time, even on the Thomas Cook website. Does anybody have an suggestions? Hoping to B&B it whilst driving around the island, my partner isnt much of a birder but Ill be able to fit in a few mornings birding.

Just checked the Thomas Cook website and it gave me 20+ options for flight + accommodation departing 21 May from £297 pp (self-catering) or from £329 pp (hotel). All appear to be ex-Gatwick.

If you can't get flight only from TC then you can always try via Athens which can be reach from a few UK airports and then Aegean/Olympic on to Lesvos.

Thanks for the reply Steve, sorry to be a pain but is that a package deal for £297? I cant seem to find details, I'm just not that great at finding these things online!

Thanks for that, I had gathered that myself! I meant what self-catering accommodation is it for this price? The hotel Pasiphae, Aegeon Hotel or Kalloni Bay Hotel?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back