• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos 2012 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for that, I had gathered that myself! I meant what self-catering accommodation is it for this price? The hotel Pasiphae, Aegeon Hotel or Kalloni Bay Hotel?

If it happens to be the Aegeon I can recommend that hotel. We've stayed there many times on a B&B basis but the s/c appartments look fine too.

Hope you manage to get there

S

Sandra, thanks for answering Daniel's queries.

Daniel, look at http://tinyurl.com/862gv7m (not sure if this search will be time sensitive) - it already looks different to what I viewed last week, but with these charter company's sites are constantly changing.

Lesvos Flights from Manchester 05/05 Main Resorts

Although Thomas Cook is showing no availability to the main resorts from Manchester on the 5th May , I understand that there may be a way around booking on the web site, which is only showing The Aeolian Village, Eressos at the moment.
If anyone is interested in a late booking, PM me for contact details.
Regards
Mick

I will be visiting the island 12/5 to 19/5 and have 3 species-specific questions;

Kruipers nuthatch
I guess the birds will have left the nest by then so what are my prospects of still finding the birds in the Achladeri area ? I missed seeing this species on my only other visit to the island so really want to make sure i see it this time !

rosy starlings
I believe they will be just starting to arrive as i leave and that they are primarily found in mulberry bushes. Other than a bush apparently by the ford over the east river near the saltpans are there any other likely bushes i should try on the 18th/19th ?

scops owl
I gather there are quite a few trees at the scops copse. unless I'm lucky and there is someone else on the birds when i get to the site, what is the best way of telling which trees they are roosting in ? Is the tree marked ? Is the exact tree described on Steve's website ?

thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Tony, to answer your queries -

Kruipers nuthatch
I guess the birds will have left the nest by then so what are my prospects of still finding the birds in the Achladeri area ? I missed seeing this species on my only other visit to the island so really want to make sure i see it this time !

Not necessarily, but even if they have, they're not hard to find at the main Kofinas (picnic) site at Achladeri or eslewhere.

rosy starlings
I believe they will be just starting to arrive as i leave and that they are primarily found in mulberry bushes. Other than a bush apparently by the ford over the east river near the saltpans are there any other likely bushes i should try on the 18th/19th ?

The week you're there usually sees the first birds. They came in from 13 May in 2011. They can pop up anywhere but the Mulberry trees around Tsiknias and Lotzaria (between Tsiknias ford and Kalloni pans) are pretty reliable.

scops owl
I gather there are quite a few trees at the scops copse. unless I'm lucky and there is someone else on the birds when i get to the site, what is the best way of telling which trees they are roosting in ? Is the tree marked ? Is the exact tree described on Steve's website ?

I usually post details of which tree(s) the bird(s) is/are using on my website. Details will also be in my log at the Hotel Pasiphae.

I'm on the island until 19 May and I'll share everything I can on all of the above online and in my log(s).

Tony, to answer your queries -

Not necessarily, but even if they have, they're not hard to find at the main Kofinas (picnic) site at Achladeri or eslewhere.

The week you're there usually sees the first birds. They came in from 13 May in 2011. They can pop up anywhere but the Mulberry trees around Tsiknias and Lotzaria (between Tsiknias ford and Kalloni pans) are pretty reliable.

I usually post details of which tree(s) the bird(s) is/are using on my website. Details will also be in my log at the Hotel Pasiphae.

I'm on the island until 19 May and I'll share everything I can on all of the above online and in my log(s).

Cheers Steve. I spent hours walking round achladeri picnic site 5 years ago in mid May with no luck. Hopefully better luck this time !

Tony

Cheers Steve. I spent hours walking round achladeri picnic site 5 years ago in mid May with no luck. Hopefully better luck this time !

Tony

Kruper's is NOT a rare bird. The forest is full of them (over 600 pairs breed, so add their young and thats lots of family parties flitting around). Try the track down to the river and army camp, try Pessa Falls, try Agiasos - plenty of known sites plus plenty more forest to walk through looking. In my experience if they're around you'll hear them. Don't just focus on the very small area od woodland at the picnic site.

I appreciate there are plenty around but its more a case of maximising limited time. It's not just a birding holiday and so my birding time will be limited to 4-5 early mornings, ...AND I'm based in Molyvos (part of the deal with Mrs K!!).

In order to cover 1./ Kalloni salt pans and river, 2./napi valley, 3./kavaki & petra track, 4./ plantania, I'll probably only have one trip of 2-3 hrs to dedicate to looking for KN over the week. As last time I'll check the picnic site and tracks leading away from the road and just assume i was unlucky last time. Doubt we'll be going to Agiasos but might add it to our itinerary if I miss KN at Achladeri !

ps covering ipsilou, feneromeni/sigri as a family day-trip !

Tony

Last edited:
I've started to add more updates to the Lesvos Birding website. Current one includes some news on water levels and a few more spring migrants trickling in. Polichnitos Saltpans is still the only site being covered until birders arrive next month.

The first birders I know of arrive on 3 Apr, with the first tour group from the 15 Apr and the first UK charter flight on the 21 Apr. I'll continue to add news updates to the website when I hear from folk on the island until I get out there on 21 Apr.

Migrants still only trickling in through the east of the island (the only areas I'm getting records from at present) - see www.lesvosbirding.com for continued updates. I'll aim to add any new sightings daily from now on.

Water levels are OK. Season pools in many areas but we need more rain in coming weeks to keep them topped up for the main arrival of birders from 21 April. I know there's been some significant rainfall the last couple of days.

I've just spoken to Thomas Cook and they tell me both the 21 April and 28 April early spring birder flights are now full. That's great news and a great response from you guys.

Because of this good response they've already scheduled flights/packages for the respective weeks in 2013 (20 Apr and 27 Apr) which is also great news as it secures our early spring flights for at least one more year. The message is simple from TC - fill one years flights and they'll put them on the following year.

I've been informed that there was a Menerites Warbler on the 12/04/2012... First for Greece and Europe?

I was told about it this morning and we're currently looking in to it.

It will certainly be a first for Greece (one claimed on Lesvos in 2004), but I think there was a record from Portugal? Anyone know about that? I cant think of any other records.

My scheduled day trip on 17 May (Kavaki, North Coast, etc) is the only trip not to fill, so I have changed the destination and search emphasis and this will now be a dedicated Olive-tree Warbler day plus Kalloni wetlands sites. For further info see here.

My scheduled day trip on 17 May (Kavaki, North Coast, etc) is the only trip not to fill, so I have changed the destination and search emphasis and this will now be a dedicated Olive-tree Warbler day plus Kalloni wetlands sites. For further info see here.

7 May now switched to an Olive-tree Warbler dedicated day.

I was told about it this morning and we're currently looking in to it.

It will certainly be a first for Greece (one claimed on Lesvos in 2004), but I think there was a record from Portugal? Anyone know about that? I cant think of any other records.

Pictures of the bird on HOS website.

Cheers,

D.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back