• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Billed diver Burghead (1 Viewer)

Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum but have been reading the threads for a week or so & Have found them very enjoyable, I am going upto the Highlands sunday week for all the specials I hope? Desperately need Ptarmigan (5 try) Going to Glenshee this time, Was wondering if anyone knows any more info on where to go on Glenshee? I was told up to the west of the carpark? Also I would love to bumped into the White Billed Diver while I'm there, thats another Bird I've not seen. does anyone know where to view from?
many thanks

Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum but have been reading the threads for a week or so & Have found them very enjoyable, I am going upto the Highlands sunday week for all the specials I hope? Desperately need Ptarmigan (5 try) Going to Glenshee this time, Was wondering if anyone knows any more info on where to go on Glenshee? I was told up to the west of the carpark? Also I would love to bumped into the White Billed Diver while I'm there, thats another Bird I've not seen. does anyone know where to view from?
many thanks

Hi there, when you get up to the Ski Centre at Glenshee either walk up The Cairnwell behind the centre or take the chairlift up, its not expensive ..a fiver I think. The ptarmigan are usually easily found up here near the buildings on the top, last year we also had Ring Ousel here too.
The mountain on the other side of the road is Glas Maol, take the path from the top carpark and follow it.
Its a bit further to walk and the last half mile is the hardest but you have a good chance of Dotterel as well as Golden Plover and Ptarmigan.
For the White-billed Diver drive right up to the top of Burghead then bear right into a carpark at the sea. Walk east towards a large building which is called The Maltings....this is the area favoured by the divers.....good luck, they're impressive birds.

Hi Gus

many thanks for the info, The White Billed is still there today, I know its still a week or so away but Fingers crossed for that one & thanks very much for Tarmies info.

Hi, as a backup, you can get the ski lift + guided ranger walk up to Cairngorm peak for 14 pounds inclusive, where we had great views of Ptarmigan and Dotterel last year. This walk is not too bad, steep but short distance upwards, fairly gentle downhill.

many thanks

Managed to see Ptarmigan whilst on crutches at Glenshee car park last year (late April), you can scope them from there on the Cairnwell . Normally I would have gone up but with no choice thought I'd have a go scanning. Picked out one right at the top at first, but a couple eventually came about half way down to where the Red Grouse are, fairly decent views actually.
On the same trip we went to see a WB Diver off the maltings and found 2!

Best of luck
John

Last edited:
Returned from my Scotland trip last night / morning. On Wednesday at Cairngorm there was that much snow the ranger walks were not running but there was access to the hill, so you could take the train, leave the station and walk to the top. Saw (5) Ptarmigan 100m from the cairn and when sat at the top a snow bunting landed 2m away. On Thursday could not find the white billed diver at Burghead, but saw dolphins. Though at Hopeman saw a white billed diver from the harbour wall. Also had a quick look at Portsoy and could not see one.
Enjoy your trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back