• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Yellow Snail! (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I visited Rutland Water on the 23/7/2011

I took a photo is of a Snail that was sitting on a bush in the reserve

Is this a species that is native to the UK?...or has it fallen in a pot of yellow paint LOL

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
It's either Cepaea nemoralis or C. hortensis. Without seeing the proportions of the hight of the shell, the depth of the sutures or the exact shape of the aperture you can't be certain ( and even then some have to be dissected! ). They come in an amazing variety of shades and amount of striping and can be really confusing.

Chris

p.s. Yes. They are native to the UK.

C

I think I can see a dark edge to the 'lip' of the shell which would make this Cepea nemoralis which is indeed a UK native terrestrial snail. Most have dark spiral bands on the shell, but a few are all yellow. The base colour can also be light brown.

If you find one with a pale edge to the shell, that would be Cepea hortensis, they can often be found in the same place.

It's either Cepaea nemoralis or C. hortensis. Without seeing the proportions of the hight of the shell, the depth of the sutures or the exact shape of the aperture you can't be certain ( and even then some have to be dissected! ). They come in an amazing variety of shades and amount of striping and can be really confusing.

Chris

p.s. Yes. They are native to the UK.

C

hi chris

Thank you for your ID

The Snail was a good size. I think I should make a point of taking a small ruler/coin with me so I can note the dimensions.

It was so well camaflagued it was hard to see it on the leaf, and luckily I could see it. I must look out for other similar coloured ones of the same species..and it is from the UK :t:

I think I can see a dark edge to the 'lip' of the shell which would make this Cepea nemoralis which is indeed a UK native terrestrial snail. Most have dark spiral bands on the shell, but a few are all yellow. The base colour can also be light brown.

If you find one with a pale edge to the shell, that would be Cepea hortensis, they can often be found in the same place.

Thank you Hyrax for your information

I was thinking I have never seen a yellow snail before, and even put it down to an April Fool joke - but now I know this snail is the real thing :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

........... until you come across an individual nemoralis with a white lip or a hortensis with a brown one. Although lip colour is usually a good indicator of species it is variable.

Chris

........... until you come across an individual nemoralis with a white lip or a hortensis with a brown one. Although lip colour is usually a good indicator of species it is variable.

Chris

Thanks Chris I had no idea. Mind you I should have guessed, nature's rarely that easy!

Thank you everyone

Interesting to hear about the split species

Will be rooting around my garden now on a snail hunt - there is so much to learn about wildlife

Regards
Kathy
x

Thank you everyone

Interesting to hear about the split species

Will be rooting around my garden now on a snail hunt - there is so much to learn about wildlife

Regards
Kathy
x

Beware getting into molluscs, Kathy. You spend a lot of time looking at their rude bits :eek!:. It's a bit difficult to explain breifly and concisely to others without seeming to be on the woowoo side of strange. :-O:-O:-O

Chris

Beware getting into molluscs, Kathy. You spend a lot of time looking at their rude bits :eek!:. It's a bit difficult to explain breifly and concisely to others without seeming to be on the woowoo side of strange. :-O:-O:-O

Chris

Hi Chris

LOL the mind boggles :eek!:

I will remember what you said here ;):gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back