• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

Had a twitch over the Humber today got 2 lifers, Dotterel and Tawny Pipit at Tetney Lock
001.jpg

005.jpg

superb Andy you must be well happy with them.

many thanks.

superb Andy you must be well happy with them.

many thanks.

I definately am happy with getting those birds indeed! went for the Black Kite and Sea Eagle down at Ruckford too (they would have been lifers too) but no sign of them after 4 hours, had an escaped/ feral Reeves Pheasant though
008.jpg

I definately am happy with getting those birds indeed! went for the Black Kite and Sea Eagle down at Ruckford too (they would have been lifers too) but no sign of them after 4 hours, had an escaped/ feral Reeves Pheasant though
008.jpg

I went for the same birds, got dotterel + white tailed eagle, both lifers,. but dipped on tawny pipit + black kite. Not the best sighting of the eagle, flying low over a field for about 20 seconds but still a sighting

A stroll through Nidd Hall greeted by six red kites circling above the hall,then into the gardens two very light coloured fieldfare and three shelduck, then into the trees to discover nuthatch,willow warbler and blackcap,buzzards had now joined the red kites.

If you mean the bird in the second picture, that's a mistle thrush Zing. Are they not that common out your way?

Whitby

Going to the East coast with the girlfriend tomorrow. I would prefer Flamborough but I have a feeling we may well end up in Whitby. Does anyone know if there are any decent seabird colonies near Whitby for me to entertain myself with whilst the girlfriend does the shops? Would welcome anything with decent photo opportunities.

Cheers

Hi Secret Twitcher,
As a regular visitor to Whitby I cant think of anywhere that would satisfy you. You will just have to put up with the unique charm of Whitby and photograph the gulls nicking your chips. You could always suggest that the next day out could be to Bempton or Flamborough.

John

Good views of the Woodchat Shrike at Filey, at dinner time, Osprey still at Wykeham Lakes been mobbed by a Common Buzzard, Kingfisher, Grey Wag and Dipper in Forge Valley on the river Derwent
WoodchatShrike001.jpg

GreyWagtail002.jpg

Hi Ken the Shrike was in the grass field that is known as Filey Tip, next to the parish wood, i cant find a map to post but the footpath through the wood and to the field is just off Sycamore Avenue Y014 9NU

Last edited:
Right. I've set auto-refresh to a sensible time. Rather than one than wipes out my posts :eek!:

Found Sycamore Ave easily enough and then looked at Google maps. The wood became pretty obvious and by process of elimination the grass field was equally obvious. Nice to know my satellite interpretation skills are still up to scratch. On looking back at the fbog map I quickly found the areas clearly labelled. Marks out of 10 for observation, 3 ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back