• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want Start Out W/Decent Binoculars (2 Viewers)

Red Horn

Want To Start Out W/Decent Binoculars

After moving from Mid West to the California desert I am missing a lot of nature. Want to jump into bird watching. There is a regional park near by and my college campus has a small lake that attracts a lot of wildlife. My thought is to get a good pair of binoculars for 120-$200 or so. Later if I have been investing enough time to warrant an upgrade will try a Nikon Monarch 8x42 or similar model. For now my uses will primarily be:

1) Every day casual use (almost always carry a bag they can be kept in)

2) Birding

3) Use around lakes and rivers to try and spot good fishing locations

Feature wise I desire:

A) Long eye relief (wear glasses)

B) Semi compact and <24oz

C) Durable

D) Weatherproof

Please give my some strong candidates. Any and all ideas warmly welcomed.

Thanks,

-Red

Last edited:
OK Red Horn,

this is my recommendation: A Vortex Fury 6,5x32.
It has a wide FOV, deep DOF, really great eye relief, large exit pupil, fast focus.

Some people don't think of a 6x or 7x as an allround bin, but if I had to pick only one of my bins, this would be the one. Oh, and I have bought a spare too.

At the current $170 it's a steal.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1890071#post1890071

And if you can't accept the lesser magnification, the 8x32 is well regarded too, if you find one.

//L

Can possibly accept lesser x. Although here out west I think viewing distances will be much greater than I was used to. Been doing a little research here are some others I have sighted listed in increasing price. Please let me know which ones need to be struck off the list:

1) Nikon Trailblazer (Sportster?) 8x42 $125

2) Pentax DCF NV 8x36 $140

3) Vortex Crossfire 8x42 $140

4) Vortex Fury 6.5x32 $170

5) Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42 $190

6) Nikon Monarch ATB 8x36 $200

Also still open to any other recommendations.

Last edited:
Three first go away. I absolutely love the Fury. Am not sure what the Prostaff is. The Monarch is decent, but if you want an 8x42 you should go for the ZenRay ZRS HD.
Even Vortex Diamondback is nice.

There are so many fine bins, but you would probably love the ZRS HD. There will be a 32 series according to the rep, who regularly writes here.

Last edited:
Spend a little more now and never have to upgrade. A good binocular has lots of uses over a lifetime. I also recommend adding low-dispersion objective lenses (ED/XS/HD moniker) and ultrawide AFoV (60°+) to your needs list. These are usefull features in bright light and open terrain at 10x.

Try the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42mm or the 10x36mm for ~$250. They are relatively light/compact for their class too.

Spend a little more now and never have to upgrade. A good binocular has lots of uses over a lifetime. I also recommend adding low-dispersion objective lenses (ED/XS/HD moniker) and ultrawide AFoV (60°+) to your needs list. These are usefull features in bright light and open terrain at 10x.

Try the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42mm or the 10x36mm for ~$250. They are relatively light/compact for their class too.

OK, more valuable info with the low-dispersion lenses and AFoV. Almost starting to get overwhelmed :-C. The offerings/feature details have more layers than an onion. In a 10 power would probably go with 42mm for added light. Thought at the 250-$300 range the Monarch's were the hot value? Then again a 10x42 is getting up there in size and makes daily carry less feasible. Need to find the best balance for size v. performance.

Looked hard at the Vortex Diamondback 7x36, but at pricing 229MSRP/$190 street and the Fury 6.5x32 at 359/160 the DB makes little sense. Realistically a 8-10x is probably better for my use since everything seems so spread out in CA.

OK, more valuable info with the low-dispersion lenses and AFoV. Almost starting to get overwhelmed...

Ah, but once you move those features to the top of the list the number of contenders narrows considerably for a 10x binocular, with most being more expensive than the Bushnell's.

FYI since many binocular's specs neglect to mention AFoV, when you are comparing features for a 10x don't consider anything with a FoV much less than 315ft/1000yds or 420ft/1000yds for an 8x.

These 8 x 42 Eagle Optics Denali's might fit your needs. They are under $200.00. They are about as light weight as an 8 x 42 gets, have a nice wide FOV and long eye relief. And they have listed 39 mostly rave reviews that you can read. The one from the College teacher in PA who got them for his students is most interesting.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-denali-8x42-roof-prism-binocular

I don't work for Eagle Optics but I have ordered a number of binoculars from them and I still have one of their old 6 x 32 Ranger Platinum binoculars that I got many years ago.

Bob

PS: There is also a 10 x 42 version. But in this price range 8x usually is a better option.

Last edited:
You should not buy roof prisms at that low price spectrum. If you only have a few hundred to spend you should get some good quality porro prisms.

OK Red Horn,

this is my recommendation: A Vortex Fury 6,5x32.
It has a wide FOV, deep DOF, really great eye relief, large exit pupil, fast focus.

Some people don't think of a 6x or 7x as an allround bin, but if I had to pick only one of my bins, this would be the one. Oh, and I have bought a spare too.

At the current $170 it's a steal.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1890071#post1890071

And if you can't accept the lesser magnification, the 8x32 is well regarded too, if you find one.

//L

I will second the vortex fury 6.5x32. and they are only $130 at cameralandny right now on close out. for $274 you can get the vortex viper 6x32 which is a really nice binocular see the link for more options. Both of these are nearly half price from there original selling price.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=201468

Last edited:
You should not buy roof prisms at that low price spectrum. If you only have a few hundred to spend you should get some good quality porro prisms.

See this is how I start to get confused. Did some prism research and found; "The Porro prism design is usually optically superior to the roof prism design, especially in medium priced class binoculars." OK, I can see where an advantage lies in this design.

You neglected to mention any models that fit criteria.

I don't want to over think this, but as a student on a tight budget really need to make a wise selection.

Thanks for all the input so far. The 6.5 Fury's will be the choice unless another overlooked option presents its self that is more viable.

I don't want to over think this, but as a student on a tight budget really need to make a wise selection.

The best $200 binocular I have ever owned is the Zen Ray ZRS HD. Get this and forget the Monarch. Next is the Fury mentioned. I have the 6.5x32 and it is a nice glass. For my tastes the Bushnell Legend Ultra is third place.

Another vote for the Vortex Fury 6.5x32's. I just received a pair last week from Eagle Optics for $160 shipped (I'd buy from them based on their excellent customer service and return policy). I live in Idaho and feel these are fine power-wise for general use. You're getting them for about half of what they originally sold for and they are excellent bins. You won't find yourself wanting with these.

The Vortex 6.5 x 32 Fury has been around for a bit and it did not sell for some reason. I had one shortly after it came out and it was OK for a short time until I had to return it because the diopter mechanism went haywire. Essentially it is a small 7x which isn't a bad idea but it was not nearly as good as my Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid so I never replaced it. It was optically better than a Vortex 7 x 36 Diamondback that I got later but not as well built. I still have the Diamondback. It cost under $200.00 new and is worth that price and is built like a tank. In any case Vortex has one of the best warranties in the business.

The Vortex 7 x 36 Diamondback has a twin 9 x 36 (tank like too) that is also a very good binocular for the money. It has a nice wide field of view. About 365' at 1000 yards. I used it as my car binocular for a year and liked it very much. I gave it to my son who is not much interested in binoculars but wanted a reliable one to use. He wears glasses and the eye relief is long enough for him.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-9x36-binocular

If I needed a binocular for use in California's high desert I think I would prefer an 8x or 9x over a 7x.

Bob

Last edited:
Since your primary use will be desert viewing as well as across a small lake, I find the 6.5 Fury extremely limiting for this type of viewing, and would opt for an 8x as an all around first choice. While the 6.5 is a nice bino, I would want more magnification for the type of viewing you are proposing.

The 8x42 Zen ray ZRS HD is a fine bino at about $205, but my preference would be the 8x36 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD for about $220. Optically it it a much superior bino to the the 6.5 Fury, and it is more compact. I even prefer it to the 8x42 Zen.

If you wanted to get a nice porro prism bino, I would look at the 8x42 Bushnell Legend and the 8x42 Orion Ultraview as both can be had for around $120. They will be a little larger and heavier than the aforementioned roofs, but provide outstanding views.

Tom

Tom,

You make a strong case for the Legend Ultra HD. They seem to have a lot of the high end features, benefits, and a nice included accesorie package. What do you think about the 8x42 that should add better low light viewing to the mix? I know that certain products have a star within their different product level lines. Is that the case with the LU HD 8x36 over 8x42? Also their 15mm eye-relief seems a little short compared to most others. Do they work well for eye glass wearers?

Also for the porro's did you mean the 8x42 Bushnell Legacy WP? I could not find a porro Legend. Have noticed the porro 8x42's are generally only 4oz or so heavier. May go this route to save some initial invest.

Last edited:
Tom,

You make a strong case for the Legend Ultra HD. They seem to have a lot of the high end features, benefits, and a nice included accesorie package. What do you think about the 8x42 that should add better low light viewing to the mix? I know that certain products have a star within their different product level lines. Is that the case with the LU HD 8x36 over 8x42? Also their 15mm eye-relief seems a little short compared to most others. Do they work well for eye glass wearers?

Also for the porro's did you mean the 8x42 Bushnell Legacy WP? I could not find a porro Legend. Have noticed the porro 8x42's are generally only 4oz or so heavier. May go this route to save some initial invest.

I meant the 8x42 Bushnell Legend porro model 190842 - not the Legacy which is a little cheaper but not quite as good. An internet search will show them from sellers such as Amazon, Adorama, Opticsale, Opticsplanet.

For the money, I fell like the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD roof series gives by far the most bang for your buck, as you generally have to spend a couple of hundred more for even the smallest improvements. Their lifetime warranty is also a plus.

Although I almost never wear glasses when using binos, I test them all with my progressives, bi-focals and computer glasses, and I had no problems on ER with the 8x36. That said, I have owned the 8x42 as well and have stated, as have others, that the 8x42 is probably better suited for those that wear glasses, due to its longer ER. The 8x42 generally gives NON eyeglass wearers a slight problem due to the fact that the eyecups do not seem to screw out far enough to give the stated ER, thus requiring them to be held slightly away from the eyes to avoid problems.

Tom

Lots of good suggestions so far. Out of the group previously listed I think my vote would have to go with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. I was impressed optically by its apparent sharpness, brightness and CA control in the sweet spot of the field of view. Handling is very nice and it would certainly suit all of your needs.

Having said that I am going to go out on a limb with a binocular I have been tinkering with over the last couple weeks....Pro Optic 8x42. It is an Adorama house brand binocular which sells for $150.

Roof prism
Phase Coated
Fully Multicoated
ED glass
435 foot field of view
Open bridge design
Very smooth focus

I posted a thread about it under the "Others" forum. You can access it here....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2159218#post2159218

Optically it is just a hair less impressive than the Zen Ray ED 2....and that is saying alot. It meets all of your physical criteria...fairly compact (for a full-size bin) and less than 24 oz. Very ergonomic for my hands......

...and only $150.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back