• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Titchwells sammy (1 Viewer)

Reader

Sammy has caused me some frustrations this year. I had tried on five different occasions to see Titchwells favourite son but all to no avail. Seeing as I live in Warwickshire it's not a question of popping in that often to see him but yesterday I was passing Titchwell a bit late (it was nearly 8pm) on my way to my favourite Nightjar site near Sandringham. I didn't have a lot of time but thought I would just have a quick look to see if he could be found quickly on the freshmarsh area.

I sat down in the island hide and looked to towards the brackish water but couldn't find him anywhere. I turned to look at the small island just in front of the hide and there he was in all his glory.

The late evening light was very low making it extremely difficult to get a decent photo of him due to the glare on the white plumage but I have attached a few photos of him for you to look at.

Long may he live and bring pleasure to the masses of birders that seek him out.

Attachments

• Black winged Stilt 1753.jpg
    Black winged Stilt 1753.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Black winged Stilt 1760.jpg
    Black winged Stilt 1760.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Black winged Stilt 1751.jpg
    Black winged Stilt 1751.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Black winged Stilt 1759.jpg
    Black winged Stilt 1759.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Black winged Stilt 1758.jpg
    Black winged Stilt 1758.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 114
Hear Hear!

Who cares if he might not be wild? He's a stunning looking thing and a real crowd puller.

Long may he live (or keep running 'til his batteries run out!)

Didn't he originally hop over the fence from a nearby 'collection' - or was that just a naughty rumour put about to try to explain why he doesn't migrate!

Adey Baker said:
Didn't he originally hop over the fence from a nearby 'collection' - or was that just a naughty rumour put about to try to explain why he doesn't migrate!
Just a naughty rumour - no evidence for it at all. He first turned up in Northumbs as an immature (1st summer), then moved down to Norfolk; Brit Birds report on rare birds 1993:

Michael

Attachments

• BB93rpt-stilt.jpg
    BB93rpt-stilt.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 148
Well done at last, Reader...

I'm glad you've now had great views of Sammy... so I don't mind relating to you that I saw him first time without trying, in fact, before I even knew about him (about 6 years ago, I reckon).

Thought I was the bees knees seeing a Black-winged Stilt, till I walked ten yards further along the path to find he had his own plaque!

Still, he's a fine bird!

Michael Frankis said:
Just a naughty rumour
And a very persistent one, unfortunately. Just like the pair of Kent Glossy Ibises - and the Bowling Green Marsh one, come to that. Everyone knows rare birds are supposed to fly away (preferably the night after you've seen it). Almost anything that stays will get accused of being an escape. Now, about that Snowy Egret... ;)

birdman said:
Well done at last, Reader...

I'm glad you've now had great views of Sammy... so I don't mind relating to you that I saw him first time without trying, in fact, before I even knew about him (about 6 years ago, I reckon).

Thought I was the bees knees seeing a Black-winged Stilt, till I walked ten yards further along the path to find he had his own plaque!

Still, he's a fine bird!

Hi Birdman

I have lost count of the times I have seen Sammy over the years it's just that this year I was always at Titchwell when he decided not to show himself. Still, it's nice to get him as close as that when you do get to see him.

birdman said:
What, has he not been brushing his teeth properly?

Come to think of it, what teeth?

:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back