• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bags for fieldwork (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys are carrying your pecils, pens, paints and pads in..

Up till now Ive been stuffing everything into a lowepro, pockets with the scope and camera. Want to try find a bag to carry an A3 and A4 sketch pad around, some pencils, pens, watercolour and water. Not a heavy load, though the A3 means there is a size requirement...

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys are carrying your pecils, pens, paints and pads in..

Up till now Ive been stuffing everything into a lowepro, pockets with the scope and camera. Want to try find a bag to carry an A3 and A4 sketch pad around, some pencils, pens, watercolour and water. Not a heavy load, though the A3 means there is a size requirement...

Just an L.L. Bean daypack for me. It has side pockets that I use for small sketchpads, mosquito repellent, etc., a zip front pocket for small watercolor set, brushes, etc., and a main compartment for larger sketchbooks, my scope, camera, etc. Never too heavy until the scope goes in..............I finally found that this was the best setup for me. Also has room for light rain jacket, lunch...

I have a small shoulder bag, that I brought in a Hightstreet outlet, very cheap price. Its camo colour and is big enough for a A4 sketch pad, watercolour set, brushes, pencils, water bottle, and small scope.. I carry the camera and 'long lens' on its tripod.

on the seabird drawing course i attended bags ranged from BIG rucksacks to small shoulder bags army style and darren woodheads AO folding portfolio
john busby had his stuff in what i think was a map case over his shoulder which was waterproof , i have an art satchell £7 from most art shops the grey one
im also on a mission to find the perfect bag but am getting used to my grey bag

Rucksack/stool for me, mate - got to rest me old bones, y'know. Maybe we should ressurrect the old 'field sketching kit' thread - always a classic, that one :)

I asked Bruce pearson if he still used the box he invented for birdscapes said he just useds a bag and seat and puts stuff on the ground - good enough for him more than good enough for me looking forward to his exhibition in nov and the swla as well

Hi Alan,
I found this game bag handy its roomy. An A-3 pad + plenty more as you can see.
arthur

Attachments

• L1050169.jpg
    L1050169.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 153
Arthur, you're a genius! :loveme: I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a canvas-type bag to hold my sketchpads and pencils etc when out birding yet drew a blank. Just typed 'game bag' into ebay and found HUNDREDS!!!!! :t:

I just bought a Lowepro Fastpack 350 AW (VC, MBE, DSO(bar), etc) and apart from fitting all of my camera gear, there's plenty of room for an A4 sketchpad in the laptop pouch and tons of pockets and space for more gear in the top half. I can get all my gear for photography, work and drawing in the one bag *and* it fits inside Queasyjet's harsh hand baggage restrictions.
Weighs a ton with all that lot in there, especially my brick of a laptop (plus the coal to keep it running).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back