• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanius meridionalis ssp algeriensis?? Northern Morocco (2 Viewers)

Piqa

Hi all, I need help to confirm, it's Lanius meridionalis ssp algeriensis ? - Thanks

Attachments

• Lanius meridionalis algeriensis.jpg
    Lanius meridionalis algeriensis.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 118
Looks good to me as algeriensis though the sunlight makes it difficult for me.

When I birded in Libya we got both elegans and algeriensis in the west of the country.

Your bird appears too dark for elegans allowing for the sun's angle.

Your bird has a larger black bridge on the forehead than average but I did see some with it.

I don't think any wintering great grey shrike match as well as algeriensis but I don't have so much experience with them.

Hope this helps

Rob www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

Looks good to me as algeriensis though the sunlight makes it difficult for me.

When I birded in Libya we got both elegans and algeriensis in the west of the country.

Your bird appears too dark for elegans allowing for the sun's angle.

Your bird has a larger black bridge on the forehead than average but I did see some with it.

I don't think any wintering great grey shrike match as well as algeriensis but I don't have so much experience with them.

Hope this helps

Rob www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

Thanks you Rob for your reply

algeriensis indeed. Below is an elegans from Morocco, note the whiteness below especially and the paler grey upperparts

Brian S

Attachments

• elegans Mor 0406a.jpg
    elegans Mor 0406a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back