• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (2 Viewers)

Vilnius.

Very pleasant now, sat drinking coffee on the front step, all the fruit trees in blossom, the Hawfinches basically tame now, display and courtship on the lawn, another male warbling its quiet song from an apple tree adjacent.

Nextbox tally now: Starlings in two boxes, Pied Flycathers showing interest in two boxes, Common Redstart in one box, Blue Tit in one, Great Tit maybe in another. New-in this morning, a Spotted Flycatcher by the garden pond.

A couple of additions also late last night too - 1 a.m., the still airs punctuated by a distant booming of Bittern, the powerful tones of a Thrush Nightingale closer.

49. Bittern
50. Thrush Nightingale
51. Spotted Flycather
52. Linnet

From this morning:

95. Yellow-throated Vireo
96. Northern Parula
97. Magnolia Warbler
98. Field Sparrow - heard singing, then seen.
99. Veery

Last edited:
Today, a

74 : Yellow wagtail called up high,

and, having at last seen the Hobbies return to patch, a single

75 : Hobby

flew over.

Blown away by a singing Brambling, though, CB!

singing male Brambling
CB

I added a few more today:

89. Solitary Sandpiper - flying over yard.
90. Great Crested Flycatcher
91. Gray Catbird
92. Ovenbird
93. Louisiana Waterthrush
94. Baltimore Oriole

Vilnius.

Very pleasant now, sat drinking coffee on the front step, all the fruit trees in blossom, the Hawfinches basically tame now,
................ Bittern, the powerful tones of a Thrush Nightingale closer.

49. Bittern
50. Thrush Nightingale
51. Spotted Flycather
52. Linnet

From this morning:

95. Yellow-throated Vireo
96. Northern Parula
97. Magnolia Warbler
98. Field Sparrow - heard singing, then seen.
99. Veery

Today, a

74 : Yellow wagtail called up high,

and, having at last seen the Hobbies return to patch, a single

75 : Hobby

.!

Great for all of you............nothin' new for me. It's been raining all day. But the good news is that the Nightingale is still on patch and alternates between some blackthorn and another bramble patch. And they do sometimes sing in the rain!

Picking out a distant singer amongst the Wood pigeons and Collared doves early this morning was a great moment, this now less than annual migrant:

76 : CUCKOO !

Still languishing this morning..no new additions!..Grey skies..Blackcap singing from the top of a bare Ash tree..Hobby scything overhead..7 Parakeets courtship displaying over the tree tops..then I espied this pink and white rainbow arrowing towards my hedge..It looked remotely familiar from this angle..''but no it can't be Hoopoe''..I muttered..before it landed atop my Hawthorn!..It's been eight years (in the garden) since the last one!

Attachments

• Hawfinch on Hawthorn 4th May 2012.jpg
    Hawfinch on Hawthorn 4th May 2012.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 75
A few this morning:

101. Warbling Vireo
102. Tennessee Warbler
103. American Redstart
104. White-crowned Sparrow
105. Scarlet Tanager
106. Indigo Bunting

Later this morning I picked out a few more:

107. Philadelphia Vireo - fairly early here.
108. Red-eyed Vireo - again fairly early for here. Heard and seen.
109. Blue-winged Warbler - seen as it flew down the yard.
110. Common Yellowthroat - heard singing.
111. Chestnut-sided Warbler - heard singing.
112. Bobolink - flying over yard.

Last edited:
Still languishing this morning..no new additions!..Grey skies..Blackcap singing from the top of a bare Ash tree..Hobby scything overhead..7 Parakeets courtship displaying over the tree tops..then I espied this pink and white rainbow arrowing towards my hedge..It looked remotely familiar from this angle..''but no it can't be Hoopoe''..I muttered..before it landed atop my Hawthorn!..It's been eight years (in the garden) since the last one!

WOW! Who'd have thought it? In London! :t:

113. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
114. *Orange-crowned Warbler - pretty uncommon here. Got some fairly nice looks, as it was jumping around in the apple trees. It stayed quite awhile, before finally flying off. Nice bird!

A few this morning:

101. Warbling Vireo
102. Tennessee Warbler
103. American Redstart
104. White-crowned Sparrow
105. Scarlet Tanager
106. Indigo Bunting

Later this morning I picked out a few more:

107. Philadelphia Vireo - fairly early here.
108. Red-eyed Vireo - again fairly early for here. Heard and seen.
109. Blue-winged Warbler - seen as it flew down the yard.
110. Common Yellowthroat - heard singing.
111. Chestnut-sided Warbler - heard singing.
112. Bobolink - flying over yard.

That's not a few, that's a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you live on some kind of migration hotspot, or is that just a fairly normal garden list for your location? Some good birds ... along with the Orange-crowned too ...

En France still ... might be here an extra week due to circumstances, we'll see ...

yesterday two additions -

56) Melodious Warbler
57) Cuckoo (h)

Initially the Melodious was heard only, singing in the scrub on the old railway line that runs behind the house, I had to leave the premises to get a view, but later in the day saw it behind next doors garden by standing on a pile of pallets by the woodpile.

There has also been a Cockatiel (sp?) flying around the last few days - grey with big white wing patches, yellowish and orange face. Not really up on my cagebird ids.

Today -

58) Reed Warbler

One in the laurel hedge! Poor views initially, but then it had a preen in the bottom of the young walnut tree. Probably drawn in by the close proximity of the pond. First garden tick this year and sixth warbler species ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back