• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

... However I never put out information online on the pager service of any birds I have found...

...This morning I spend 4 hours watching 3 spoonbills feeding on a pool almost at my feet , coupled with 90 odd black tailed godwits , little stints and a host of other waders and wildfowl coupled with a young hobby chasing swifts that almost parted my hair."

;)

2 Green Sandpiper at Surlingham Marsh this evening. Also, a Barn Owl was watched hunting outside the Woods End pub.
Cheers,
Jim.

Wonderful views of the Lesser Grey Shrike this evening from 7.35pm to 8.10pm even though the light was going - stunning bird! and well well worth flying over for after work even though I have only just got home at 9.45pm! Stunning sunset aswell set the scene. Got some fuzzy record shots of the shrike sitting in a bramble. It dived behind the bramble bush at 8.10pm and didn't see it anymore.

Pictures on blog shortly.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Disappointed not to see Penny in flight- tho' managed this for the Shrike

"well worth flying over for after work" (the previous)

In conditions which would have been perfect, save for the persistent wind, I tried in vain to obtain clear shots of the Kelling LG Shrike. It didn’t help that it wasn’t all that close and I just couldn’t keep the ‘scope still.

Nevertheless, it was pleasant to be there when people weren’t attempting to get up its nose and just watch it pottering about, flying here and flying there- but mainly perching (the bird, not me).

‘grumps’ & hoverflies (from #9520): make sure you’re not looking at Volucella inanis (centre photo), rather than V. zonaria (RH), which has a cursory resemblance to Hornet. This same bramble bush held V. pellucens, too. Missed you at Wasley a few weeks ago- but then, I didn’t go there while you were up (down?) here !

Attachments

• 135psesm.jpg
    135psesm.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 126
  • 170psesm.jpg
    170psesm.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 149psesm.jpg
    149psesm.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 108
A few migrants coming through Buckenham now:
Yesterday: Greenshank, 3 Green Sand, 2 Golden Plover, Ringed Plover and Dunlin.
Today: Wheatear.
Cheers

firstreesjohn;1904035 Nevertheless said:
On the first evening, Tuesday the shrike was allowed to perch and feed from a quite distant bramble patch. Thus seen by all comers: good news as the only other Cley Square lesser grey shrike was back in 1976.

On a second visit tonight the bird showed very well on a post allowing everyone a good view. Flew and landed across the field (as did a whinchat) when photographers moved a little closer. After the photographers left the shrike came back to the same post.

I have also heard various rumours about Raven and Hoopoe breeding. Anybody able to shed more light???

Hi.

Sorry to raise this again. I have been on my honeymoon in Croatia and have missed out on the discussion. I totally agree with people not wishing to share with me any information they have on the topic on this public forum. I am still interested in whether they have or haven't bred, breeding area is not essential (although we will probably all know the location eventually if the rumours are true). It's just if they have, I would like to know they have, it would be great news.

Cheers.

Fox

Another flypast and a warbler quiz

The Red Arrows one day, Unidexter the Crane another. This is what I saw out of the North Hide at Cley this afters, as s/he put up every bird that was on the North Scrape, having come in from the east, like the Three Wise Men. As yet, no-one has offered an explanation of why the poor bird should be partially legless. Any offers ?

Can anyone explain, also, the weather today ? It's almost completely opposite to what was forecast- not that I'm grumbling.

Yesterday, I took the attached shots of this extreme vagrant warbler: they show how a bird can change its colour, depending on the light.

Yesterday, too, I was incredibly fortunate when the hover (Volucella zonaria) I’d been stalking for the 3rd day, crawled under my lens. I also saw my first Sericomyia silentis of the season (RH photo).

Attachments

• 014pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    014pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 122
  • 067sm.jpg
    067sm.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 072sm.jpg
    072sm.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 011psesm2.jpg
    011psesm2.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 038psesm.jpg
    038psesm.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 96
Statistics

15th-16th May 1960 (on Salthouse Heath)
14th May 1966
5th-6th September 1976 (near Cley coastguards, then behind Walsey Hills).

That would make it the fourth Lesser Grey Shrike for The Cley Square.

RBA Website
(Cley Square)
Only the 1976 record is listed against previous records for lesser grey shrike lanius minor in Norfolk.

The Birds Of Norfolk p472
First documented, rather than shot or obtained 1956. Then 12 by 1982, no detail.

RBA list shows only some of the dozen above.

:h?:

15th-16th May 1960 (on Salthouse Heath)
14th May 1966
5th-6th September 1976 (near Cley coastguards, then behind Walsey Hills).

That would make it the fourth Lesser Grey Shrike for The Cley Square.

Whilst there were Lesser Grey Shrikes reported on Salthouse Heath in 1960 (mentioned in Cley Marsh and Its Birds) and at Morston in 1966, the Birdguides historical breakdown of Norfolk records state that these two records, along with one from Cockley Cley in 1969 are no longer accepted. The reason is given as the records not being included in the British Birds Rarities Reports, so maybe they were not submitted/accepted to the BBRC.

Live accepted records:
Snettisham (1956)
Sheringham (1968)
Winterton (1968)
Burnham Norton (1969)
Holme (1973, 1975)
Cley (1976)
Downham Market (1977)
Ringstead (1979, 1982)
Potter Heigham (1991)
Sheringham (1994)
Burnham Overy (1996)
Acle (2003)
Holkham (2007)
Hickling (2008)
Sheringham/Weybourne (2008)

The long trek- all the way to South America ?

I went so far west today, I thought at one stage I must have strayed into Peru (and I didn’t imagine llamas, which were being taken for a walk from Wells)- all along the ‘front’ from Warham Greens to Stiffkey and back. The only passerines of note were Lesser & Whitethroats- and those were probably residents.

The insects were better: I probably saw more Red Admirals today than for the whole of the year to date.

A smart yellow/black Ladybird Psyllobora 22-punctata was common on the cabbage-type plants in the small copse at the top of the westernmost track.

A Southern Hawker posed nicely on the edge of the same copse. It's taken me the last few weeks to manage to snap one of these at all well.

A timely text message has alerted me to my mis-IDing of the four-legged creatures. My lame (!) excuse is that I don't usually carry 'Mammals of South America' while walking on the north Norfolk coast. Since they're quite small, perhaps they should be called 'Al Pacinos', rather than alpacas.

Attachments

• 044sm.jpg
    044sm.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 113
  • 053psesm.jpg
    053psesm.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 042psesm.jpg
    042psesm.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 068psesm.jpg
    068psesm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Spotted Crake

Hi all

This evening at around 6pm we were driving along Creake Road (between Walsingham and South Creake, about 3.5miles from South Creake) and noticed a couple of crakes in an area adjacent to a stream and opposite the ruins of an abbey/church.

The tail was being being cocked all the time and the buffy underside was unmissable - there was no mistaking these 2 birds and their behaviour as that of Spotted Crake. The one bird disappeared quite quickly in the undergrowth on the bank above the stream and muddy areas, the 2nd bird followed about 30sec later.

Since I got home I've looked at on the software (Birds of the Western Palearctic) and the video confirms the species we saw as Spotted Crake. My partner who had been with me also confirmed this after watching the videos.

I'm not sure whether this is considered a "sensitive" species so haven't added the OS map grid reference.

Cheers
Marcell

Simon King

Penny
Have just read, on your blog, your superb detailed account of your day with Simon King. Certainly an unforgettable day, and one you will always treasure.
It is always a privilege to be in the presence of someone like Simon, with his aura and magnetism. Anyhow just wanted say how pleased I am that all went to plan, or should I say even better than planned!!
Best wishes
Richard

Hi Marcell,
Can you give the grid ref and more detailed directions to your Spotted Crakes sighting please, so that one could go and have a look for them? It's an unlikely breeding site and too late for breeding now anyway, so surely not sensitive. Very many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Hirundapus

Sure, grid ref is TF897376. The location is at the ruins of what the map shows as St Edmund's Church along Creake Road between South Creake and Walsingham. Coming from South Creake a road sign showing 5 1/2miles to Walsingham, turn down here and you're on Creake Road.

I saw the pair right opposite the gate to the ruins - open field and bordered at the entrance (to the field) by a dense hedge-like growth. In the grounds of the ruins there's a depression with a muddy (and a bit of water) area with fairly thick vegetation.

Was at the site yesterday morning but no luck although there was some movement in the veg next to the muddy area but whatever it was had no intention of showing itself.

Cheers & good luck
Marcell

Wing-tagged Montagu's Harrier at Waxham/Winterton in April
Have just had some info from BTO about the wing-tagged Montys that hung around Waxham/Winterton in late April. It was ringed as a nestling on 18th July 2008 at Villeneuve, Puy-de-Dome in France (Horsey is about 500 miles almost due north of the site). BWP states that it is likely most 1-w remain on the wintering grounds in Africa so it could be that on it's first journey north it just didn't know when to stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back