• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to birding and of course looking at Binos, Are MHG 8X42 overkill? (1 Viewer)

Sure, Stan. I am only speaking from limited experience but also extrapolating from the fact that none of the hundreds of experienced birders I see out in the field here in the U.K. ever use them. So I do stand to be corrected if there's something new out there that I'm not aware of.

Cannon made quite a nice pair but they were heavy and bulky, and certainly not suitable for extended days out. I suspect they were pretty good for birding off a boat though, so again, for those with cash to burn, an option.

I do think it's a great technology and if someone gets it into a top of the range product, and keeps it compact and light weight, they'd be a boon.

ATB

Sure, Stan. I am only speaking from limited experience but also extrapolating from the fact that none of the hundreds of experienced birders I see out in the field here in the U.K. ever use them. So I do stand to be corrected if there's something new out there that I'm not aware of.

Cannon made quite a nice pair but they were heavy and bulky, and certainly not suitable for extended days out. I suspect they were pretty good for birding off a boat though, so again, for those with cash to burn, an option.

I do think it's a great technology and if someone gets it into a top of the range product, and keeps it compact and light weight, they'd be a boon.

ATB

Agree that the Canon 10x42 IS is bulky and heavy, but don't think that is anything a comfortable shoulder strap won't offset.
In exchange it offers a wide and bright alpha grade view, with the stabilization a tremendous plus. You really see the bird better with them.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I've just ordered a 8x42 MHG. My 7 year old also wants in some of the action so I ordered a M7 8X32 for him. It'll also serve when I want to travel light when going on a cruise etc...
Are the straps/cases decent that come with the binos?

Thanks for all the replies folks, I've just ordered a 8x42 MHG. My 7 year old also wants in some of the action so I ordered a M7 8X32 for him. It'll also serve when I want to travel light when going on a cruise etc...
Are the straps/cases decent that come with the binos?

Congrats on the Optics MB...You are a Cool Dad! :t:

Ted

As my title says. I originally started looking at the Nikon M5 8x42, but then I started reading about the M7 with its much wider FOV, was set on it, finding this forum, now looking at the Monarch HG! For a beginner who's looking at southern california birds like meadowlarks, sparrows, pipits, warblers, and goldfinches is the Monarch 7 good enough? I notice the light transmission is better with the M7 vs MHG, but the almost everything else on the HG is better: less CA, less distortion, Japan vs China made (I shoot Nikon full frame DSLRS and I can easily tell the difference between my Japan lenses vs China ones).

I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy so I want one that will satisfy me for some time....

Also what about image stabilized binos? I like the VR feature on my Nikons...

Good glass is always preferable there is no such thing as overkill for a beginner.

everything has to do with budget and perceived value. For me I can never use lower end optics, as I am a bit too fastidious for anything short of perfection. Even at the flagship alpha level I am still complaining but if stuff doesn't bother you don't go looking for them. It is a can of worms you don't want to open unless, you enjoy being annoyed. sometimes even with deep pockets problems cannot be solved.

Good glass is always preferable there is no such thing as overkill for a beginner.

everything has to do with budget and perceived value. For me I can never use lower end optics, as I am a bit too fastidious for anything short of perfection. Even at the flagship alpha level I am still complaining but if stuff doesn't bother you don't go looking for them. It is a can of worms you don't want to open unless, you enjoy being annoyed. sometimes even with deep pockets problems cannot be solved.

Great advice, Joe...Looks like it has been already taken! ;)

Ted

There is no such a thing as overkill in binos. Binos are extremely complex machinery. Just like the human eye is very complex, for these that use binos for hours at a time everything counts in a binos interaction. Buy the best binos you can afford.
One can buy a debatable $500 to $1000 binos and write about it here for months. The Swaro 8x42 SLC for $1500 is not debatable and is a good start and end point.
If not possible Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x42 at $500 is good for many years of birding.
Have not tried the MHG yet but let us know how you like it 😀

Last edited:
As my title says. I originally started looking at the Nikon M5 8x42, but then I started reading about the M7 with its much wider FOV, was set on it, finding this forum, now looking at the Monarch HG! For a beginner who's looking at southern california birds like meadowlarks, sparrows, pipits, warblers, and goldfinches is the Monarch 7 good enough? I notice the light transmission is better with the M7 vs MHG, but the almost everything else on the HG is better: less CA, less distortion, Japan vs China made (I shoot Nikon full frame DSLRS and I can easily tell the difference between my Japan lenses vs China ones).

I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy so I want one that will satisfy me for some time....

Also what about image stabilized binos? I like the VR feature on my Nikons...

Hi! I think both Nikon bins will serve you well. My first bin was an 8x42 Nikon Monarch 7, and I still use it at times, even though I also own high-end Swarovski and Zeiss bins, as well as several Canon Image Stabilized (IS) binoculars.

Some plusses for the Nikon M7: not only does it have great optical quality for the price, but it is also extremely light and compact compared with most other 8x42 binoculars.

As for the HG, I haven't owned or tried it, but it looks like a step up from the Monarch 7 in almost every way (including price). I think both would serve you well for many years.

If you are into IS binoculars, I can heartily recommend the Canon 10x42L IS WP (which I own). It's easily the cream of the crop of IS binoculars available to civilians today.

However, as always, try before you buy to ensure that the binocular fits you the best.

Cheers, from HN, who graduated from a Nikon Monarch M7 to a Swarovski SV, and then to Zeiss Victory SF and Canon IS binoculars in little more than three years! ;)

Ah, I see now that the original poster already made their choice, and my previous post is now somewhat useless. Still, let it still be a warning that binoculars are addictive, and can easily lead to a serious case of gear-craziness!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back