• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (3 Viewers)

thankyou very much chrissy.when the lights right i cant resist drawing them!
after months of fiddling and re-jigging my new website has now gone live.the link is below.it has some better quality scans of my images.

After another short foray into the african big game ive managed to get back to some bird art.This one is of a saker falcon.i know the portrait style is probably not for the purists but i just loved the plumage so much that i decided to try and draw it in the same fashion and size as my golden eagle study.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 69
Hi Clive, I have really enjoyed watching this one develop on your blog...
So much so that it has inspired me to swap my coloured pencils for some graphite for a while. A first for me, the inspiration provided in this section is fabulous.
I know you are often concerned that you work from photo's but that look in his eye has a lot of reality to me.
Btw, the new website is great, I spent a while looking around it the other evening. The overall style of the site sits really well with the art IMHO.

many thanks arthur
chrissy thats great to hear! i look forward to seeing what you come up with in graphite! I do sometimes feel a little inadequate compared to some of the great field artists on here that i use a lot of photo's.i can field sketch and do sometimes,more for fun and as an exercise in looking than for finished art.i do take quite a few pictures and tend to come up with ideas based on a combination of observations and photos.thanks for the input on my website,i wasnt (and still am not)very happy with my publishers site which i think is a little old fashioned and fussy in its appearance.i wanted a contemporary,clean look that suited the style of art and a site that gathered together all the different strands of my business in a simple to navigate and uncluttered way.having my own site means i can at last get some clients of my own and hopefully get some feedback on possible venues for my bird art.

i can field sketch and do sometimes,more for fun and as an exercise in looking than for finished art.i do take quite a few pictures and tend to come up with ideas based on a combination of observations and photos..
Sounds like a pretty good way to go about things, in my opinion, and, judging by the results, certainly works superbly for you.

as you say on your blog, always room for another beautiful falcon, esp one a lovely and alive as this one. Always a balancing act with the camera, but backed up by real observation is an indispensible tool for this kind of work.
BTW I went to the website and think it really suits your work, and is easy to navigate.

thanks colleen,i think whether using cameras or pure field sketching it's the act of observing that allows one to capture the gist of the bird,the sketch or camera are just an aide memoire.thanks for your comments on the website,my son(the whizzkid)and myself spent several months refining my ideas and turning them into a reality.there are still a few refinements i'd like to add but i dont want to compromise the uncluttered feel or make the site more complicated to navigate.

clive love your work, mate...fantastic, not been painting myself, bit of a painters block here, back to my carving instead, going to do a few carvings of african wildlife in natural wood,not painted ....mark

After another short foray into the african big game ive managed to get back to some bird art.This one is of a saker falcon.i know the portrait style is probably not for the purists but i just loved the plumage so much that i decided to try and draw it in the same fashion and size as my golden eagle study.

gorgeous saker- utterly convincing

clive I have just been sat around my screen with my whole family, looking at your site, its the first time they have all been quiet at the same time... they were all speechless... I dont live too far away from you... so may venture down one day to see your work in the flesh if that is ok... amazing... Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back