• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does this damage your camera? (1 Viewer)

I am more concerned about the lens mount on the camera body than the camera strap and its anchor points if I would carry a large and/or heavy combo on just the camera strap. For me heavy and large starts with stuff like a 70-200 or evena 150 macro lens.

If I would consider carrying such a rig on a strap I would go with something like Black Rapid or the sniper strap that were recently mentioned here on the forum. Those use the tripod mount on camera body or lens, mechanically a much more solid looking alternative.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-optech-utility-strap-sling-version-black/p1521108
Roy C, I reckon this would be perfect for you. And 30 quid is a bargain for your 300/2.8, attached via the lens and not the camera as in the pic.
Also in camo.
I would not trust hanging the 300/2.8 via just one of the lens mounts Gaz - the idea is good though for smallish lenses. I would also be very reluctant in trusting it on plastic quick-release clips (I already have an Op/Tech strap with quick release clips but would not use it with the 300 myself).

Scary, thats exactly what I was about to post :-O:-O:-O

Me too ;)

I would also be very reluctant in trusting it on plastic quick-release clips (I already have an Op/Tech strap with quick release clips but would not use it with the 300 myself).

Roy, I've not had a problem with the quick release clips on my optech straps in about 5 years of use. They are the only straps I use on my bodies and 500/4.

Roy, I've not had a problem with the quick release clips on my optech straps in about 5 years of use. They are the only straps I use on my bodies and 500/4.
That's fair enough Mark, I would still be very reluctant (spent too many years in the plastic moulding industry I guess LOL). BTW Would you hang a 300/2.8 off of just one of the lens anchor point?

Last edited:
Bah! Camera straps and big lenses would be an improvement for me! :eek!:

Ashamed to admit I sometimes carry mine just by holding the camera grip. :-C

Would you hang a 300/2.8 off of just one of the lens anchor point?

Never thought about it Roy but probably not on gut reaction...single point of failure (not that attaching a strap to two would make much difference!).

I went to Kemble airshow at the weekend and there were literally shedloads of 100-400s and 50-500s hanging by the normal camera straps and lens mounts around peoples necks. So I guess few people are concerned about the possibility of damaging the mount.

I went to Kemble airshow at the weekend and there were literally shedloads of 100-400s and 50-500s hanging by the normal camera straps and lens mounts around peoples necks. So I guess few people are concerned about the possibility of damaging the mount.
That's interesting, I never even knew that either of these lenses had lens anchor points for lens straps - shows how much I know LOL.

That's interesting, I never even knew that either of these lenses had lens anchor points for lens straps - shows how much I know LOL.

Sorry don't think I explained that too well. The straps were attached to the camera not the lens so with it hanging round your neck the mount is taking the full weight of the lens.

Surely that's because, as Roy implied, those lenses don't actually have any mechanism for attaching a strap to the lens. I'm not sure about the Bigma, but I'm certain that's the case for the 100-400.

Surely that's because, as Roy implied, those lenses don't actually have any mechanism for attaching a strap to the lens. I'm not sure about the Bigma, but I'm certain that's the case for the 100-400.

Yes that's right, but going back to the OP's question I was merely pointing out that loads of people with heavier lenses than his 400 f5.6 are happy to rely on Canon having made the mount strong enough to take the weight of the lens

Having a Bigma+Camera dangling from my neck I would be as much concerned for my own health as for the welll being of my equipment ;)

BTW, the Bigma doesn't have a strap anchor on the lens body, but its tripod mount has one. Just that if you prefer to carry your camera and lens as a pendant on a necklace you will have most likely removed the tripod foot ....

UH

P.S. Did someone come up with a nickname for the new OS version of the Bigma yet? How about BOSma?

Having a Bigma+Camera dangling from my neck I would be as much concerned for my own health as for the welll being of my equipment ;)

BTW, the Bigma doesn't have a strap anchor on the lens body, but its tripod mount has one. Just that if you prefer to carry your camera and lens as a pendant on a necklace you will have most likely removed the tripod foot ....

UH

P.S. Did someone come up with a nickname for the new OS version of the Bigma yet? How about BOSma?

I agree I wouldn't fancy having the weight of a 50-500 body and grip hanging around my neck

I did spend half the afternoon answering this question:

'Ere mate whats that strap you're using'

Answer

'Black Rapid'

Must admit I'm becoming a big fan of it

The Black Rapid strap looks very good indeed - does anyone know the recommended weight limits or max lens size that it is suitable for? I have looked on their web site but cannot see anything about this.

The Black Rapid strap looks very good indeed - does anyone know the recommended weight limits or max lens size that it is suitable for? I have looked on their web site but cannot see anything about this.

I can't find anything but with the concerns you have raised re single fixings and plastic clips I'm not sure you'd ever be confident with the strap if its the 300mm f2.8 you're going to use with it.
I'm using the double strap with the standard wedding 'tog setup, 2 bodies 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8is and with those weight cameras and lenses its absolutely fine. At the airshow I used half the strap with the1D mkIII, 70-200 f2.8is & 1.4x and it was great but a 300 f2.8, hmmmm, not sure......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back