• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feed Quaker Oats??? (1 Viewer)

Ric50

I am wondering if it safe to feed Quaker Oats to the back yard birds. We have five inches of snow in Portland, Or. and not going away soon. Would like to feed the birds, but only have the oats on hand.

Happy New Year

I was always told that they would swell up too much inside the bird's stomach - was that a myth, I wonder? Sounds like it now I write it down...

Yes, as Andy says they are great for padding out suet cakes. They last a lot longer and much less is lost that way too.

Jen :)

scampo said:
I was always told that they would swell up too much inside the bird's stomach - was that a myth, I wonder? Sounds like it now I write it down...
It is said about lots of things - and yes, it is a myth.

Michael

Our ground feeding birds are fed a mixture I mix myself based on rolled oats, sultanas, cheap museli, sunflower hearts and chopped hazelnuts. It gets hoovered up by various gound feeding species - I just find it is best to put a little out each day as the rain spoils it.

I sprinkle some under hedges and amongst the borders for shyer species such as Dunnock and in the centre of the lawn for Thrushes and Chaffinches etc

Dear Ric,

Yes no problem.
I use Naked Rolled Oats which are less refined than porridge oats thus contain more oil.
During breeding time I soak them and the parents use them to feed young - as the young can only receive moisture through their food supply it is useful in dry weather.

A word of warning for those in the U.K.
Agricultural suppliers sell Naked Rolled Oats which are not the same thing at all. They are just bruised oats still in their husks.
Vine House Farm supply what we need.

Good Birdying to you all in 2004.
Regards.
G B-S.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back