• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

Dogs accompanying Health Walkers

Officially, walkers may take their dogs on the Health Walks arranged by Friends of Red Kites.

Dogs must be on a lead and under control at all times. Owners are asked to respect the laws regarding hygiene.

Anyone wishing to take a dog is asked to inform the Leader using the Webmail facility on http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page20.htm

Attached is the current list of Health Walks for your information.

Hi Everyone

This might be a silly question but are dogs allowed on the health walks through Derwent Park? Dog is small and well behaved and will be on a leader |:D|

Attachments

• Health Walks_Jan2012.jpg
    Health Walks_Jan2012.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 57
During the programme, filmed in a secret location in the lower Derwent Valley, Keith Bowey introduces a baby chick which has been ringed and tagged as E3. Keith was Leader of the successful Northern Kites re-introduction of 94 red kite chicks from 2004 - 2009.

Any recent news on E3 (was it Bobby Nostrils?) the chick featured on the programme. Great little item by the way.

A.

June, do you know of an abberant plumaged red kite locally. I was at Lockhaugh last Thursday and saw a kite without white wing patches, only realising today that if not an odd red kite it was most likely a black kite. It was soaring with two other kites and was noticeably smaller too, I dismissed black kite at the time because the tail was notched which I thought was wrong for black kite so neglected to check it out, and only today I've discovered this is not the case. I don't believe this one was tagged either.
I've also been told there's possibly an escape in the area from Beamish birds of prey centre, this one didn't have jesses on but who knows, a bit of a mystery, wish I'd followed my instincts at the time.

Would be grateful for any info you might have.

Cheers

Alan M

June, do you know of an abberant plumaged red kite locally. I was at Lockhaugh last Thursday and saw a kite without white wing patches, only realising today that if not an odd red kite it was most likely a black kite. It was soaring with two other kites and was noticeably smaller too, I dismissed black kite at the time because the tail was notched which I thought was wrong for black kite so neglected to check it out, and only today I've discovered this is not the case. I don't believe this one was tagged either.
I've also been told there's possibly an escape in the area from Beamish birds of prey centre, this one didn't have jesses on but who knows, a bit of a mystery, wish I'd followed my instincts at the time.

Would be grateful for any info you might have.

Cheers

Alan M

Beamish have lost a Black Kite around Christmas time and thought that the Red Kites had killed it which is unlikely, seeing a Black Kite is very possible.

I actually watched the Red Kites and Black Kites interacting at Beamish last summer and you could see the Jesses. Jesses will not last for ever so it’s possible that they’ve come off by now.

Thanks for coming in on this, Mick. I hope things will become clearer :)

Beamish have lost a Black Kite around Christmas time and thought that the Red Kites had killed it which is unlikely, seeing a Black Kite is very possible.

I actually watched the Red Kites and Black Kites interacting at Beamish last summer and you could see the Jesses. Jesses will not last for ever so it’s possible that they’ve come off by now.

Thanks for that Mick, very interesting. Doubt I'll ever truly get to the bottom of it but this being the case I'm happy to put it down as a possible black kite, probable escape. (but rest assured I'll be checking every kite I see for a while)

Thanks too for your input June, very much appreciated as always.

Alan M

Red Kite Trail leaflet on-line

We have reprinted, in conjunction with Gateshead Council, another run of our very useful and popular Red Kite Trail leaflet.

It is now on-line here: http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page16.htm

It is also widely available for you to pick up at the usual reserves and centres.

A more detailed and extended Guide is being prepared and will be available as a pdf file on our website.

We have reprinted, in conjunction with Gateshead Council, another run of our very useful and popular Red Kite Trail leaflet.

It is now on-line here: http:// http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page16.htm

It is also widely available for you to pick up at the usual reserves and centres.

A more detailed and extended Guide is being prepared and will be available as a pdf file on our website.

The link doesn't work in the original post, I've edited it in my reply and that does now work.

The link doesn't work in the original post, I've edited it in my reply and that does now work.

Thanks for doing that Mick. Not sure why it wasn't working...............

Have you seen the kites at the Black Horse recently? We were to have been there for the Easter Saturday, but hadn't enough free Volunteers. We shall go another time. Wonderful to have a kite floating above the garden whilst you're eating your whale and chips!!

June

Avisitor to Hamsterley Forest

It's fairly certain that a red kite being seen regularly in Hamsterley Forest is a Dumfries & Galloway kite.

Good for the gene pool if it breeds with one of ours this year!
:t:

We are asked to be discreet when mentioning the presence of the kites in Hamsterley Forest - not to give specific locations please.

Health Walks May - August 2012

We are running the next session of Health Walks.
Do come and join us for one or perhaps regular walks with a very friendly group.

Attachments

• HWalks_May-August 12.JPG
    HWalks_May-August 12.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 86
We are running the next session of Health Walks.
Do come and join us for one or perhaps regular walks with a very friendly group.

Hi June

I wish I was closer to where you live, and I would have been only too happy to join in your health walk anyday. :gh:

Great idea by the way :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi June

I wish I was closer to where you live, and I would have been only too happy to join in your health walk anyday. :gh:

Great idea by the way :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

How nice to hear from you, Kathy.

Maybe one of these days, you might be able to come for a few days on holiday - our kites are always around :)

How nice to hear from you, Kathy.

Maybe one of these days, you might be able to come for a few days on holiday - our kites are always around :)

Hi June

Ditto with our chats here :gh:

Just to say that my OH was only talking the other day about a trip to Northumberland (we saw an article on Countryfile/Country Tracks on TV) and it has tempted us to be more adventurous and that includes the local food that we love to try. :eat:

Once we are back from our holidays in Menorca 2012, we have loads of plans to go out bird watching, and catch up with peoples news. There are a few RSPB Reserves we have in mind too. and to met up with the volunteers for a few chats.

Just want to say hello most of all, and have a walk about all of our planned areas.

Any suggestions from yourself will be useful for us too...to see your local Kites anyday :-O

Still remember the Kite sightings from Stirlingshire, Scotland all those years ago (2003), and more recent Otmoor RSPB Reserve, Oxford where Kites flew low to get a couple of good photos.

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi June

Ditto with our chats here :gh:

Just to say that my OH was only talking the other day about a trip to Northumberland (we saw an article on Countryfile/Country Tracks on TV) and it has tempted us to be more adventurous and that includes the local food that we love to try. :eat:

Once we are back from our holidays in Menorca 2012, we have loads of plans to go out bird watching, and catch up with peoples news. There are a few RSPB Reserves we have in mind too. and to met up with the volunteers for a few chats.

Just want to say hello most of all, and have a walk about all of our planned areas.

Any suggestions from yourself will be useful for us too...to see your local Kites anyday :-O

Still remember the Kite sightings from Stirlingshire, Scotland all those years ago (2003), and more recent Otmoor RSPB Reserve, Oxford where Kites flew low to get a couple of good photos.

Regards
Kathy
x

Your plans sound exciting, Kathy! We have spent three holidays on Mallorca - great for the Eleanora Falcons at Formentor, beyond Puerto Pollença, and the Black vultures at the Cuba Dam. We haven't been to Menorca.

If you were to come north, we would arrange a Safari for you - great chances of seeing the kites and if you are keen on photography, plenty of
opportunities.

Enjoy your stay in the Balearics!!

Your plans sound exciting, Kathy! We have spent three holidays on Mallorca - great for the Eleanora Falcons at Formentor, beyond Puerto Pollença, and the Black vultures at the Cuba Dam. We haven't been to Menorca.

If you were to come north, we would arrange a Safari for you - great chances of seeing the kites and if you are keen on photography, plenty of
opportunities.

Enjoy your stay in the Balearics!!

Thank you June for your good wishes.

Menorca is a fabulous place, and it is so peaceful away from the mainstream holiday makers.

Hopefully the weather is up to scratch. May-time is a great time for it being warm but not to hot...and not to busy either.

We have seen Red Kites in the area, close to where we sail, and they are easily seen. One year we glimpsed Black Kites with a 'Menorcan' birder along beside us. They are just as spectacular to watch. :-O:-O

Yes, a trip up north in the UK is well overdue, and we will arrange something no-doubt.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Thank you June for your good wishes.

Menorca is a fabulous place, and it is so peaceful away from the mainstream holiday makers.

Hopefully the weather is up to scratch. May-time is a great time for it being warm but not to hot...and not to busy either.

We have seen Red Kites in the area, close to where we sail, and they are easily seen. One year we glimpsed Black Kites with a 'Menorcan' birder along beside us. They are just as spectacular to watch. :-O:-O

Yes, a trip up north in the UK is well overdue, and we will arrange something no-doubt.

Regards
Kathy
x

In France, in the Dordogne and the Auvergne we have seen both Red and Black Kites. They are both interesting to watch. Certainly the French ones love swooping down onto the farm manure heaps!! Looking for worms no doubt! :) I envy you your sailing.......................

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back