• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

Congratulations, BirdForum!

Many congratulations on ten years of serving those who love birds

of all kinds and seeking to conserve all that is important in the avian world!

Advance Notice of Heritage Open Days

Friends of Red Kites are supporting the above event.

Details can be seen below

Booking is essential, as only 30 walkers are permitted on each day.

Tel: 0191 433 4699 to secure your place.

Attachments

• Heritage Kites walkX.jpg
    Heritage Kites walkX.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 85
Keep your eyes peeled up their. Not too far south a Red Kite was found dead on North Yorkshire moors was poisoned with banned pesticides, police said today. (see link)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-19269992

How do they continue to get away with doing this?

We have, in the last few years, lost four adult kites and one chick, all having consumed carrion laced with carbofuran. Whilst the Wildlife Officers and indeed the Wildlife Police have a good idea as to the perpetrators, prosecution rarely follows because of lack of firm proof. It's always a case of "The kites must have ingested bait put out for vermin or foxes". Northumberland and Tynedale in particular are areas where there is still an anti-bird of prey lobby. Much of the prevalent attitude comes from ignorance. Education, education, education is paramount. It is why we make very strong links with schools and community groups. In the core area of the lower Derwent Valley, our young kites were safe, because the local communities knew they were out there and they helped to keep them safe.
They are extremely proud to see these majestic birds flying above the valley floor and increasingly moving up onto the Pennines.
The initial re-introduction Project brought £2.4 million into the local economy.

WICKLOW RED KITE PROJECT IRISH BRED KITE NESTS IN WICKLOW

An Irish Red Kite, hatched and fledged from a nest in Wicklow, has for the first time nested, bred and reared its own young near Redcross. As part of the national bird of prey reintroduction programmes in Ireland, Red Kites, Golden Eagles and White-tailed Eagles have all bred in Ireland in recent years.

But all these breeding adults have hatched in their respective donor stock countries (Wales, Scotland and Norway) and were subsequently collected and reared in Ireland.

This summer the breakthrough came when an Irish bred Red Kite, hatched and fledged from a nest in Wicklow in 2010, has bred itself and reared its own young. This is a major milestone in the gradual restoration of kites and eagles to their traditional haunts in Ireland.
http://goldeneagle.ie/news_viewnews.php?z=44&news_id=9&article=310 :smoke:
In the distant past, our ancestors closely observed Red Kites across the country. One almost forgotten Irish name for the Red Kite was Preachán Ceirteach ? meaning the Cloth Kite [or Cloth Scavenger]. This close association between kites and people was reinforced this year when a nest near Rathdrum was lined with six soft DIY gloves, four socks and part of a pair of water-proof trousers! Obviously Irish kites are still lining their nests with old rags and rubbish.

Health Walks September-December 2012

Here is the new progamme of Health Walks, led by Friends of Red Kites.

Leaders are trained and are also First Aiders.

Attachments

• Sep-Dec Health Walks.JPG
    Sep-Dec Health Walks.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 80
Flight of the Kite Project

Attached is a pdf file giving details of our exciting new project, made possible by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Attachments

• FoRK_ Media release.pdf
    185.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Baltic kite KZ73 .jpg
    Baltic kite KZ73 .jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 81
:t:

been over to derwent valley watching them today, dont see them much now im back in newcastle, but seen about 15-20 kites today.

Attached is a pdf file giving details of our exciting new project, made possible by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

And here is our new Poster.

If you are anywhere near the locations mentioned in our programme, please come along and help us build our giant kite mosaic.

On the first day over one hundred people took an interest in what was going on, and several had their photos taken with the kite mosaic - it's very striking close up!

Attachments

• poster_FoftheK.JPG
    poster_FoftheK.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 70
St. Mary's Island Tuesday 18th September

Our Red Kite mosaic will be landing at St. Mary's tomorrow morning.

Why not come along and help us build the kite !

Attachments

• StMary Island sm.jpg
    StMary Island sm.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 73
News of one of our 2004 red kites

Wing Tag 18 Zeus spotted in East Yorkshire

We have just received news from our contacts in East Yorkshire that they are seeing Wing Tag 18 in their area. Our pink wing tags have faded and it was thought at first to be a white tag.

We are waiting for more details of Zeus, released in the Derwent Valley in 2004 and its possible breeding success.

Attachments

• WT18 Zeus E Yorks.jpg
    WT18 Zeus E Yorks.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 51
REd Kite over Highfield Rowlands Gill

Paul Ratcliffe kindly sent in this excellent image of a kite which flew overhead. It is an untagged kite.

Attachments

• Red Kite 3_Highfield_14 Oct 12_P-R.jpg
    Red Kite 3_Highfield_14 Oct 12_P-R.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 55
I was at the roost site tonight and watched up to 50 Red Kites assembling and a lad who had been at the viaduct before me thought that he'd seen up to 60 which I think is probably slightly high and a case of counting the same bird twice. I've never seen so many Kites at one time in my life, they were everywhere and I could only see 3 Kites that were tagged. It was probably the most amazing wildlife spectacular that I've ever seen.

I counted 24 Kites fly into the roost and could see 13 Kites on a pylon, 3 Kites in a tree below the pylon and various Kites which were uncountable because they kept coming and going. They were all over at times, the sky was full of them.

If anybody is close enough to go and see them then I would suggest that they do so, probably between 15:30 and 18:00.

I don’t know what part the weather played tonight because it was relatively warm and the Kites looked as if they loved it, I hope this high number isn’t a 1 off.

The only recognisable Kite was WT43.

The roost reminded me of when I’ve seen fruit bats on TV once they had all moved into the trees which are being used as the roost. Every couple of minutes a Kite would fly out and then go back in and the noise was fantastic. I had my camera with me but it was simply too dark to get anything and the sun was behind the Kites which made matters worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back