• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk Retailers for Zen Ray (1 Viewer)

Danny,
I believe, from reading this forum throughout the rise to power of these kinds of Chinese binoculars, that Zen Ray is a strictly American branding. The same design, however, is available in Britain. Here's a typical discussion on different brandings,

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=181585

and I believe the Hawke is available in the UK. There may be minor differences vs Zen Ray, depending on what the dealer specs. from the Chinese maker, and there may well be large differences in guarantees and customer treatment.
Ron

You can get Hawke 8x43s that are like the ZRs but unfortunately you can't get the 7x36 format. That's what I'd like to see over here. I'd love to give them a try.

Hawke ED is similar to ZEN ED1, with slightly different spec. I have an 8x43 ZEN ED1 for over a year. It's a solid performer for $370 I paid even it does not have better coating as ZEN ED2.

I remember a Swedish fellow in here had a pair of Zen ray 7x36, I wonder what he paid including EU tax and shipping?
Best
Carsten J

I'm note sure whether I'm the same Swedish guy who is mentioned above. However, I ordered Zen Ray 7x36s five months ago and paid 375 USD x 1,33 (tax, custom and postage) = 500 USD. I made the order from the Zen Ray online store and delivery was made in four days.

Whenever I order something from the US I calculate the stated price times 1,33 (Swedish tax, custom and postage). When the USD rate is down (like now), it's usually a bargain to make overseas orders. However, if you have to use warranties or wish to send an item back, the money you have saved will quickly disappear!

Fast reply thanks..
Are the depth of focus (or the feel of it) significantly narrower on the 8x43 than on the 7x36?
Are the import tax added automatically or do I report it manually somehow?
Thnks
Carsten J

Postage was added to the price of the bino and my credit card was charged when I made the order. On delivery (by UPS) I had to pay Swedish tax and custom.

I have only experience of the 7x36 but lower power will lead to longer depth o focus on most binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back