• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you file your clips? (1 Viewer)

shezza

Hi all, I was wondering how do members file their clips?
IE do you keep as individual clips and view as individual clips.
Or do you edit them together as a film?
I would welcome some advice please.

Birds I tend to file as clips as they are purely kept as a record of some particular behavior on a particular date. I use the Sony supplied software as it can also bring up a location map from the GPS info held on each clip.

I do edit, but only if I intended making a film of something and have a bit of a plan before shooting. If I were to carry out a laying to fledging film I would have made sure that I had everything ready before hand, such as a means of storing the nestbox footage. Birds hate having to climb back in their shells for a retake!

If you intend showing your results to someone it is kinder to them if you edit them, to cut out the boring bits and to make the viewing easier, on a tv rather than a laptop, say.

The beauty of putting together a modern video presentation is that with the right software you can include stills, such as maps or diagrams and making it somewhat more interesting than the good old slide presentation or its modern equivalent.

If you intend editing, start simply and don't invest too much cash until you get the hang of it all, and remember that a sensible length high definition film will eat processing power (you may need to upgrade your pc) and elapsed time. So play at SD with cheap/free software and then start reading the reviews and specifications if you intend taking this further. You can edit HD clips and produce output at SD with most computers, its only when you try and produce broadcast quality output that things get heavy. Simple editing is really very easy so it is worth trying it. Finally - make sure that you keep a copy of the original video - most modern software will do this for you, but its better to be safe.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back