• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd Body Purchase (1 Viewer)

JTF

My current setup is a D50 w/80-400VR. Although the lense is okay and not the best in low light it has served my well and I plan on still using it. My goal is to buy a 2nd body to shoot with this lense. Assuming a body with an auto focus motor would be best is the D7000 a reasonable one to shoot with the 80-400VR.
See sample image from my current setup. Forgive the link, copy and paste somes is tricky on my ipad when inserting images into the body.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5212927792_d981be45e9_b.jpg

D7000 is a good choice. In fact it is best DX solution currently available (not considering DX crop on D800). There are some aspects where D300s could perform a bit better. However, D7000 is definitely a huge upgrade over your D50.

If you want to try something different try a D700 the full frame camera great benefits in low light photography but you'll loose a little perceived reach over a dx. D700 are readily available on auction sites or photographic websites

According to rumour sites, there is a good chance that there will be a new DX body announcement from Nikon very very soon. Most likely D7000 successor. Perhaps it is a good idea to wait a couple of days....

My current setup is a D50 w/80-400VR. Although the lense is okay and not the best in low light it has served my well and I plan on still using it. My goal is to buy a 2nd body to shoot with this lense. Assuming a body with an auto focus motor would be best is the D7000 a reasonable one to shoot with the 80-400VR.
See sample image from my current setup. Forgive the link, copy and paste somes is tricky on my ipad when inserting images into the body.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5212927792_d981be45e9_b.jpg

If you shoot images regularly with your D50 like the one you have posted, get another D50

You could go mad on the reach side of things and get a D5200 instead 8-P and I think it indeed has an AF motor as the blurb says take advantage of the legendary NIKKOR Lenses.

It'll pretty much out-resolve your lens I'd have thought though so wasting the advantage of a lot of those MP.

Awesome guys for the great feedback, never thought of a D7000. My guess is a D7100 will be announced this month 24MP.

D600

D600 looks like a great cam for birds on paper with very good AF configuration and will work with your 80-400VR on DX mode.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back