• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 10x50 BN Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Woodcock1965

Hello to all our members,
Hoping everyone is keeping just fine and enjoying their binoculars and the pleasure they bring. Just a short message really regarding a pair of binoculars my brother actually owns. He has mentioned certain issues on a few occasions now with his Leica 10x50 BN'S. I managed to have a look through his glasses yesterday in some local woodland and I was quite surprized, and noticing very clearly that the left hand barrel has a large unsightly, milky appearance when looking through the left hand barrel. It is extremely noticeable and extremely annoying and frustrating. Has any other of our members ever experienced such problems.
I would love some advice and see if anything can be done because my brother at the moment is extremely frustrated and wanted any advice from any fellow birders or Leica owners who have perhaps experienced a certain problem like this or knows about this particular issue in question. I'd be delighted to hear from anyone please? My sincere regards, David.

Hi David.
Sounds like moisture inside the optic.
Shine a torch through the eyepiece and look into the front of the binocular. You should see the cause.
Look at the different surfaces of lenses and prisms.

Is it still under Leica warranty?

Thank you Binastro,
I appreciate your reply and I will have a look at the binoculars again and i'll keep you informed. Regarding the Leica warranty. My brother obtained the binoculars from a friend who has very unfortunately passed away so I don't know what to do about that to be honest. I was going to ring Leica in London as I did talk to one of the guys who worked there; very knowledgable and a somewhat affable guy. So I think i'll ask my brother to ring him pretty soon. Binastro, I have a pair of Leica 8x32 BN of which I must say are perhaps some of the finest glass i've looked through and are virtually faultless. Perhaps some people may disagree however. I will keep you informed of further progress and thanks again for your reply.
Regards, David.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back