• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live Cornell Lab Panama webcam: Canopy Lodge (1 Viewer)

Didn't see it live, but some 15 minutes ago a Grey-Necked Wood Rail was 'stomping' the feeder for a few minutes.

Attachments

• Panama_birdcam_03.JPG
    Panama_birdcam_03.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 55
Here's my picture of the Squirrel and a link to their mammal list. I don't know much about Squirrels, but to me it looks most like the fifth panamanian Squirrel species, Bang's Mountain Squirrel, which doesn't feature on the list. It certainly looked different from the Red-tailed Squirrel which has just returned to the feeder at this moment

http://www.canopytower.com/documents/mammals%20list%20for%20CTF%20website%20.pdf

Attachments

• Unbenanntes Bild.png
    Unbenanntes Bild.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 47
Thursday at 14:04 (Panama time), saw a Silver-throated Tanager, which I believe is new to this list.

(Astonishingly, this bird does not appear among the 409 spp. reported for the tower on eBird!)

P.C.

Thursday at 14:04 (Panama time), saw a Silver-throated Tanager, which I believe is new to this list.

(Astonishingly, this bird does not appear among the 409 spp. reported for the tower on eBird!)

P.C.

Very nice addition, already mentioned in the Cornell page. Note the webcam is not located on the tower but on the lodge, which is in a different part of Panama.

P.C.
And Now 6 species incl. The tanager in a single screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180201-210951.jpg
    Screenshot_20180201-210951.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 78
Very nice addition, already mentioned in the Cornell page. Note the webcam is not located on the tower but on the lodge, which is in a different part of Panama.

AH! That makes so much more sense now! I guess a few hundred metres further up does make a difference.

(Feeder was just being dominated by a small flock of Crimson-backed Tanagers a couple of minutes ago, but the Silver-throated was holding his own with them... the oropendola (P. wagleri) is back at the moment, another very nice bird.)

Yes. While shooting the screenshot i forgot that i could as well pause the stream for a better picture when all birds were still sitting on the foodtable ;)

It's even better than that - you can "scroll back" through four hours' worth of buffer to replay the birds you missed, and then pause the stream! Thank goodness, because otherwise I would not have been sure about the Silver-throated Tanager ID; it was so "flighty" at first, I could not be at all sure what I was seeing. (Later, though, it returned and fed for an extended period).

Back to just thrushes on the feed table this morning. I want to be able to text somebody at the lodge, and say, "put out more bananas, your feeder is getting low!"

Lots of action among the usual suspects right now. I had a quick glimpse of a large butterfly before it left. Bright orange upperwings, very leaf-shaped underwings.

Great cam! I remember watching a good one that was in Brazil several years ago. Of course the birds were very different species-wise.

I wonder how many species can be heard in the camera that are not visiting the feeder? Has anyone heard any bird calls during the night?

I wonder how many species can be heard in the camera that are not visiting the feeder? Has anyone heard any bird calls during the night?
I haven't, but then I haven't listened very long after dark. I think it's a good idea, though.

But this reminds me - I heard a bird singing, quite loudly and distinctly, right after 1200 hrs yesterday. I meant to post about it, just in case someone could roll back the video and ID it; too late now, unfortunately. However, whatever it was, I don't think it was anything that was actually at the table - it had a distinctly finch-like or "emberizid" quality to it, about halfway between an American Goldfinch and a Song Sparrow.

P.C.

I've been dipping in to watch the camera every now and then and have had 10 species so far. In descending order of visits to the feeders whilst I've been viewing:

Clay-coloured Thrush
Flame/lemon-rumped Tanager
Grey-headed Chachalaca
Red-crowned Woodpecker
Crimson-backed Tanager
Buff-throated Saltator
Dusky-faced Tanager
Thick-billed Euphonia
Collared Aracari
Gray-cowled Wood Rail

+ Tennessee Warbler and Blue-gray Tanager today

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back