• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Blue Heron Rookery (1 Viewer)

Karly1964

I live in Indiana and recently spotted an article in another town's local newspaper about a Great Blue Heron rookery in nearby Daleville. So I went to check it out for myself. This rookery is not large, perhaps 6-9 nests. The rookery is about a mile from the White River and about a quarter of a mile from State Road 67 which is at some points four lanes wide. What is amazing about the site is it's really close location to the library and several fast food restaurants. It is in within direct sight of the busy road and it is easy to stand some distance away and watch with binoculars the activities of the big birds. There are very few sites where the Great Blue Herons nest here in Indiana, one in Wabash, Madison County, and this one in Deleware County which is right next to Madison County. Hopefully, with few intrusions this rookery will grow larger and spread into neighboring large trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back