• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketch (1 Viewer)

Feisty little beggars ain't they! A lovely little sketch of one of my all time fave birds. Good to see you've not forgotten us here in the basement. Also good to hear that illustration work is contributing to making a dent in the bills!

Mike

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Here are some barn swallow sketches for your perusal. Still rather fond of barn swallows in spite of their evil tendency to murder damselflies!

Attachments

• Swallow sketches.JPG
    Swallow sketches.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 99
Barn Swallows are in my top 10!

These do them justice so well. Beautiful representations Jackie.
Love the pencillings also.

Superb Swallowings!

Excellent hirundo's....:t:

Sometimes an undervalued species i reckon!....[am looking forward to their mass gatherings soon with all their associated family twitterings of the migration lying ahead]...

beautiful page of sketches, always clean an composed as your work is presented...they have such a sensitive capture of pose...love this one!

These remind me of the days when I used to get buzzed by them every time I parked my car in the carport where they'd decided to nest. It was always a pleasure to see them. Lovely sketches.

I'll add something to that. Those swallows are masterful. So looking forward to checking your stand out at the Birdfair.

Russ

ps - if i'm not behind the Wildwings stand I'll be in the art marquee.

Since we've been mentioning books on some of these threads recently, I hope you'll permit me to give a plug to another upcoming one. It's Katrina Van Grouw (better known by her maiden name of Katrina Cook) and is called The Unfeathered Bird. Katrina is a graduate of the Royal College of Art, where her thesis was about bird anatomy for artists. Her new book continues that theme and is devoted to masterful drawings of bird skeletons. In many cases the birds are placed in natural poses - feeding, diving, in flight - so they retain a liveliness that makes you feel as if you're looking beneath the feathers at a live bird. It's unlike any other book I'm aware of, and I'm sure it will be of great use to bird artists everywhere.
I've asked Katrina to send an image or two that I can post here to give BF viewers a sneak preview. The book is part of the Langford Press series, and publication date is planned for 2011.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back