• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (2 Viewers)

Back in China

Back in Panjin! Well, Dawa County to be exact. Seemed to have cleared things up pretty well in the States, so probably will be here for at least a couple of years. Spent yesterday on visiting relatives and on getting registered with the local gendarmes. May have to make a run to Hong Kong in six months but the locals say not to worry, they will renew my status without my having to leave. Familiar enough to the JingCha that they have apparently decided that I am harmless. Even chit chatted with one about his having been to University in Dublin. He never admitted to understanding English before.

Today was still pretty full, but took my lunch hour to do some birding. The nearby reed beds produced some Intermediate Egrets which took quite a bit of work to decide on who they were. Too small for Great White Egrets, too big for Cattle Egrets (one I know from Kansas), solid black legs and yellow bill with small black area on tip.

Also there were ten or so little "Peeps" shore waders scared up by sheep grazing and moving too fast to identify.

Two possible Woodcocks, but again not able to get a good enough look to say for sure.

More when life calms down a little again.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Aug 25, 2015 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia) 34
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 6
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 50
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 4
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

Attachments

• Intermediate Egret.jpg
    Intermediate Egret.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 187
  • NT4A4843.jpg
    NT4A4843.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 167
August 27, 2015

Made another try before the rain started yesterday and the Passerines seem to have almost disappeared. Even the water birds are not in abundance. The Intermediate Egrets are apparently just migrating through as the numbers at the same location as the day before were way down.

Aug 27, 2015 11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
1.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 6
Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia) 6
Eurasian Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) 3
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 1
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 15
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24785799

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Attachments

• Little Grebe (1).jpg
    Little Grebe (1).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 158
  • NT4A4964.jpg
    NT4A4964.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 141
  • NT4A4904.jpg
    NT4A4904.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 171
Better luck today. I walked over to the reed beds and went another kilometer west to an area that is more difficult to access and more heavily overgrown with reeds.

I was confronted by a guard from the oil fields that intrude on the reed beds and he was concerned with of what I was taking pictures. After I showed him what was on the camera his demeanor changed completely and he started pointing out the areas where different birds where to be found. He was delightedly watching me take photos and petting my dog until they yelled at him from the work quarters to get back over there.

On the way home the Hoopoes mobbed the Russian Toy Terrier, probably thinking it was a big rat. Unfortunately, in the excitement I forgot to push the focus button and missed the shot. She was rather confused and kept a close eye out on the sky as well as staying close to me after that.

Aug 30, 2015 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
12 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea) 1
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 2
Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia) 10
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 4
Chinese Pond-Heron (Ardeola bacchus) 1
Gray-headed Lapwing (Vanellus cinereus) 2
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 8
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 6
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 15
Japanese Tit (Parus minor) 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24815394

Attachments

• Chinese Pond Heron.jpg
    Chinese Pond Heron.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Hoopoe - Come on little dog, I'll take you on!.jpg
    Hoopoe - Come on little dog, I'll take you on!.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Purple Heron.jpg
    Purple Heron.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Hoopoe.jpg
    Hoopoe.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 155
  • What was that all about?.jpg
    What was that all about?.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 180
Welcome back Owen - Must have been fun watching the Hoopoes mobbing the dog. I like the shot of the purple Heron too.

Cheers
Mike

Nasty humid here yesterday and an aching back have kept me home today. Trying for a trip to Gedalou Reservoir sometime this week though. Should be plenty of action, hopefully some cranes.

I did, BTW, have some good birding while I was in the US. Unfortunately, I never did make it to any of the big Wildlife preserves. Especially wanted to get to Cheyenne Bottoms or Quiviria National Wildlife Refuge. Only a brief trip to Cimarron National Grasslands, but did pick up a few new ticks there. The problem was incessant rain. Probably the wettest summer I have seen there in the last 45 years. Rare to get three days in a row without pouring rain. Came away with 98 species in three months though, so not so bad.

Welcome Back Owen. Leave your pet at home. Very soon, Raptor migration will start in your area and you don't want to lose your pet to a Golden Eagle.

Sept. 4th, 2015

Made the long hike to broad canal/small lake where I have had a lot of luck in the past. Not a lot of birds, put was a nice afternoon anyway as the weather was nice. I decided to try the reed beds on the way home and although they were empty with my Egrets all gone, as I stepped through a hole in the trees around the edge of the beds I almost stepped on a Least Weasel! Beautiful reddish brown which dashed from where I was about to step into the matted grass nearby. I immediately thought it was a weasel, but the relatively short tail puzzled me a little as well as the very diminutive size.

The three Kestrels were together and apparently slowly migrating south. One huge flock of Tree Sparrows (under-counted I am sure) and two flocks of Common Magpie in the same general area, largest grouping I've seen of them as the two flocks joined together as I was leaving.

Sep 4, 2015 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
2.0 kilometer(s)
10 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 8
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 2
Eurasian Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) 1
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 1
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 1
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 3
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 33
Sky Lark (Alauda arvensis) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 35
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 75

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24882336

Not much happening here in Panjin.

Yesterday was very light and despite covering quite a bit of area the only luck for any birds at all was at the reed beds and even that was not much.

Sep 10, 2015 12:00 PM
Protocol: Incidental
3 species

Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia) 10
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24977981

Made an even longer hike today over toward the rice fields with only one sighting and that at 150 meters or more which made an ID impossible even with the binoculars. A large flock (100+) or what I am pretty sure were Warblers and on the larger size for such. Judged larger in size than Tree Sparrow with relatively long tail. Tail tended to be spread during flight. Streaked brown all over w/slightly lighter undersides. Were in a reed bed appearing to feed on seed heads. Quite noisy group, similar to a flock of sparrows. Unfortunately, just not able to get enough detail to ID. If lighting is better tomorrow, I may take the camera and see if they are still around and will allow any closer view.

Owen, that flock is sounding like Vinous-throated Parrotbills. They look long-tailed and act just as you described. Also,thanks for your comments on my student's thread.
Tom

Today was perfect weather after the front came through from Inner Mongolia. Gave a great view of the mountains (YiWuLu Shan) estimated at about 80 kilometers away as they were in the sun several hours before the front cleared us. Cool but not cold, slight breeze but not windy. All with crystal clear skies. To give credit where it is due, I must say that there has been a big improvement in the pollution from the last three years. Unfortunately, I know it won't last come November when they fire up the coal fired hot water plants.

Thanks for the tip Tom, saw them again today again at about the same distance and even with a cropped photo I can't say for sure, but my inclination is that you are right and they are Vinous-throated Parrotbills. Can't claim that tick though until I can get a better ID.

I decided that since the rest of the family was busy hashing out the details of the new condo and the weather was so good, I would make a good day of birding with no one to be reminding me of how long I was taking and no little dog to wear out and have to be carried home. I hiked south along the irrigation canal for about 4 kilometers before I decided I had better start winding my way home, stopping to take in the larger canal/lake park area. Overall almost five hours out today with about 3.5 actually spent birding. The rest getting there and back. Arthritis is letting me know about it, but it was a fun time so worth it. Just couldn't do it too often.

The first couple of kilometers were fruitless except for numerous Barn Swallows working over the unharvested corn and rice and what I believe to be Vinous-throated Parrotbills, but alas they were once again to far out to get any positive ID on. But then, as I was considering giving it up, I spotted a squirrel! Seems to be a Pallas's squirrel Callosciurus erythraeus. That was encouraging so I decided to continue south. Good decision. As soon as I was really starting to get out into the rural village area and though still quite light in numbers at least things started to pick up.

A couple of Magpies made a showing briefly scolding me. Soon followed by a Common Sandpiper flushed from the fish ponds as I walked by. Nest up were about 50 Tree Sparrows squabbling with each other as usual but watching them led me to notice a Gray-headed Woodpecker mixed in with them. She was intent on one particular spot which she returned to even after spotting me and flying off. My guess is she had found an ant hill and was eating ants.

Nothing for a long while after that except for a Flycatcher that I only spotted because it made the classic swoop out to catch an insect on the fly and quickly back to cover. No usable photo but did manage to get one good look through 10X binoculars and decided on Asian Brown Flycatcher. Too light colored, I thought for Dark Sided.

I just had noted all the minnows right at the surface of the canal and had thought, "A real paradise for a Kingfisher", when a Common Kingfisher broke cover just ahead of me and crossed to the other side. The sun caught its back and it seemed to glow almost iridescent.

Nothing again for awhile, so I veered off to the larger canal/lake park area and picked up 15 Little Grebes in their usual places as well as one Moorhen. I noticed the activity of one small bird in the floating plantings furiously working at the seed heads and managed to get some photos good enough to enlarge and identify as an Oriental Reed Warbler. Spotted another as I was leaving.

Crossing the street bridge on the way out I spotted a Black-headed Gull working its way up the canal. Young bird with only faint markings instead of a fully black head. Also a family of ducks that were rather confusing coloration, but given the location I finally decided on a Domestic Mallard x Wild Mallard. There are domestics in the village on the other side of the lake, but these had obviously gone wild. Wasn't sure how to enter that one in e-bird, or even if I should, so left it out.

Sep 12, 2015 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
6.0 kilometer(s)
11 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 15
Eurasian Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) 1
Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos) 1
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 1
Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) 1
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 1
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 75
Oriental Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 2
Asian Brown Flycatcher (Muscicapa latirostris) 1
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 50

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24992445

Attachments

• Grey-headed Woodpecker (1).jpg
    Grey-headed Woodpecker (1).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 243
  • Oriental Reed Warbler (1).jpg
    Oriental Reed Warbler (1).jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Odd Ducks.jpg
    Odd Ducks.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 179
  • Yi Wu Li Shan.jpg
    Yi Wu Li Shan.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Yi Wu Li Shan (1).jpg
    Yi Wu Li Shan (1).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 159
Sep-19-2015

Had a good rain yesterday with a light thunderstorm with good weather today. Thought the stormy weather might have forced down some migrants so took a rather long (actually a little too long) hike and sure enough there were some passerines back in evidence.

Some Light-vented Bulbuls were in evidence and spent some time getting a good ID photo on a puzzle which turned out to be a juv. L-v Bulbul lacking the white patch on the back of the head.

Reed beds yielded good numbers of Intermediate Egrets with a Pond Heron and a Purple Heron thrown in for good measure. Pretty sure I had a Common Pheasant in a brushy area but she never flushed staying under the good cover. By the calls either a Pheasant or a really big chicken. Got within a few meters and heard her moving around.

I picked up all the rest over by Quanhe village. In a matter of ten minutes I had to quickly decide on what the work on photos for as I started pursuing a Great-spotted Woodpecker on to have a Black Drongo, a Chinese Grey Shrike, a Common Kingfisher and three Common Magpies all show up and pose nicely in quick order.

At the tail end of that I got one quick shot of what I at first thought was an Arctic Warbler and later decided better fit Dusky Warbler both for looks and location. Photo included, so see what you think.

Sep 19, 2015 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM
9.0 kilometer(s)
15 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 6
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 1
Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia) 33
Chinese Pond-Heron (Ardeola bacchus) 1
Black-tailed Gull (Larus crassirostris) 12
Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 1
Chinese Gray Shrike (Lanius sphenocercus) 1
Black Drongo (Dicrurus macrocercus) 1
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 10
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 3
Japanese Tit (Parus minor) 8
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 12
Dusky Warbler (Phylloscopus fuscatus) 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25087988

Attachments

• Dusky Warbler.jpg
    Dusky Warbler.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Common Kingfisher - recovering from missed strike.jpg
    Common Kingfisher - recovering from missed strike.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Chinese Grey Shrike.jpg
    Chinese Grey Shrike.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Black Drongo.jpg
    Black Drongo.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 182
Sep-20-2015

Much shorter trip today but came across two noisy flocks of Light-vented Bulbul. The first was a small group of about 6 mixed in with the Tree Sparrows, were making themselves heard even over the Sparrows squabbling.

Barn Swallows were just too numerous and too wide-spread to even estimate. Bunches.

Never get tired of the Hoopoe.

Sep 20, 2015 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
2.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) X
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 20
Dusky Warbler (Phylloscopus fuscatus) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 50

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25100127

Last edited:
Sep-25-2015

Finally stopped raining and cleared up this afternoon, so made a quick trip out. Just down the street to a narrow strip between the private school and the reed beds.

Made out 5 Intermediate Egret in the reed beds, but could have been more as the reeds have gotten so tall and thick that they could hide easily. The normally omnipresent Barn Swallow were down to only 5 individuals visible.

I had the highlight of the outing while managing to tease out 8 Arctic Warblers from a mixed stand of willows, pines and deciduous trees. While just waiting quietly for them to show themselves I heard a rustle in the bushes by me and hence was looking at just the right place as a little Least Weasel made a rush from cover not half a meter from me to try to catch one of two Hoopoe on the ground nearby. My second sighting in this month! Sadly no picture again. It was literally too close to focus! Did not seem to be concerned about my presence as it stopped to look at me and then scurried away.

Only spent a little over an hour but also managed 3 Common Magpie & 2 Asian Stubtail.

Oct-3-2015

An outing along the edges of the reed beds yielded one new tick for me, nothing uncommon, but new to me. A flock of 19 White-cheeked Starling came up out of the reed bed and went directly overhead on their way to a Sumac thicket on the grounds of the private high school on the other side of the road. Not a very good pic as they were moving fast and surprised me. No time to set up for a shot.

The rest were the usual actors:

Oct 3, 2015 1:45 PM - 3:15 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 1
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 3
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) X
Arctic Warbler (Phylloscopus borealis) 3
White-cheeked Starling (Spodiopsar cineraceus) 19
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25276552

As I was giving up due to achy joints, I came across a nifty Hummingbird Moth and got a few decent shots. Hey, not a bird, but at least it was flying and acting like a bird! And speaking of not a bird but flying....

Attachments

• NT4A6319.jpg
    NT4A6319.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Hummingbird Moth (1).jpg
    Hummingbird Moth (1).jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Hummingbird Moth (2).jpg
    Hummingbird Moth (2).jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Hummingbird Moth.jpg
    Hummingbird Moth.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 82
  • NT4A5967.jpg
    NT4A5967.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 136
I just realized that I had not even posted the photo I intended of the smog dispersal unit. This is the one from moments later where they almost collided. You can see the top fellow sticking out his legs as if to kick the other chute away. BTW, my family assures me that it is not smoke but just fog as that is what the TV tells them. Never could smell the fog in the USA.

Made another rather fruitless outing on the fourth. Spent most of my time managing a few marginal ID photos (and a lot of useless ones) of what turned out to be Two-barred Greenish Warblers (Phylloscopus (trochiloides) plumbeitarsus). Probably would never have even seen them if not for some caged birds in a nearby apartment that were making a lot of noise and had the TBGW agitated. Even then they were staying under heavy cover and only very soft calls. They were congregating as near to the cage birds as they could and still stay under cover and were moving about in an agitated manner. New tick.

Finished up with 8 Azure-winged Magpies; 62 Tree Sparrows; and 5 Coal Tits in the same location were they had been seen before but absent for the summer.

Attachments

• Hey, watch were your going!.jpg
    Hey, watch were your going!.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Uninvited Guests - Tree Sparrows in rice.jpg
    Uninvited Guests - Tree Sparrows in rice.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 81
I... Probably would never have even seen them if not for some caged birds in a nearby apartment that were making a lot of noise and had the TBGW agitated. Even then they were staying under heavy cover and only very soft calls. They were congregating as near to the cage birds as they could and still stay under cover and were moving about in an agitated manner...

That's a very interesting observation on behavior of wild birds in response to cage birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back