• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Wren ID Please (1 Viewer)

Newton-W

This was posted by a friend on another bird forum. Not sure of date or exact location. They suspect it is a Wren of some kind.

Thanks in advance,

Newton

Attachments

• TexasWren-1.jpg
    TexasWren-1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 51
Wow, this looks like a big bird, surely Cactus Wren?

That was my first reaction, but I think it's just a super close up shot of Bewick's Wren. Cactus Wren has a strongly streaked black throat.

I would say a juvenile Cactus Wren too,...found in southwest Texas.... the white under the chin would signify a juvenile as adults would have more spotted or dark under the chin and chest. jim

This is a nesting bird with young. They just posted a shot of the hatchlings. They are nesting in a folded lawn chair.

Bewick's Wren - both the throat and the undertail coverts don't work for Cactus but do work for Bewick's.

:)

I think this is a distorted view....I can see where it can be the Bewicks Wren due to all of the obvious markings. But, one must admit that 'this bird' in 'this picture' represents more of a large bird, and the tail is out of proportion due to the way the image is taken. The tail looks 'long'.....giving the impression it is a large bird with a longer tail.

For the juvenile Cactus Wren.... many times it helps to look at several bird guides and while Sibley's images fail to recognize the juvenile cactus wren as having a paler or white chin, and less markings in the breast....Kaufman does so and even states the juvenile as having less spotting and the image 'attached' shows the image they represent which does show a whiter chin.

Either way....it is a Bewicks, but it is best to display images that actually represent the bird instead of a hind end of a bird as it might be seen in a Christmas Tree bulb:) jim

Attachments

• IMG_3277-2 copy.jpg
    IMG_3277-2 copy.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 12
All the responses to this thread is what makes this the BEST bird forum on the internet. I try to spread the word.
This image and question was originally posted on "Northeast Florida Birders", a Facebook page. One of our members (NEFB) was asked by a friend in Texas.
Once again, THANKS to all who helped!

Newton

I think if you look at the size of the stitches and the patterning in the fabric you can conclude that this is probably an extreme close-up of a small bird. A Cactus Wren would show more contrast in the markings on the back and wings.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back