• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Got a Reed Bunting gain in the garden

Nice one to get in the garden |=)|

Numbers of birds visiting my garden have gone back up again

Blackbird 1
Starling around 30
Dunnock 1
Chaffinch 12, half male, half female
Goldfinch 4
House Sparrow 20, half male, half female
Greenfinch 9 (most I've had in a long time)
Siskin 5
Blue Tit 2 (had only seen one of the pair for a few days and was getting worried, nice to see the other one show up again)
Feral Pigeon 3
Wood Pigeon 2
Redpoll 12 (most I've ever had)
Brambling 1 female (only visited briefly)

Would love to have something different for a change, something I haven't had in the garden yet.

Hi, not been on in a while. Very busy lately with regular redpolls and at least one Marsh Tit was around today which is way later than last year. Maybe they will breed nearby. Also lots of Starlings lately compared to none last year. And also a lone Long Tailed Tit today, normally they are always in a flock.

Nothing very exciting in our yards at present.

Of winter visitors, we still have Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Orange-crowned Warbler and 10-15 Chipping Sparrows.

Two Downy Woodpeckers are very regular but now we're also getting a young male Red-bellied, the first time in months.

Carolina Wren, Blue Jays, N Mockingbirds, N Cardinals, Carolina Chickadees are ever-present, as are around 8 House Sparrows.

Usually 10-20 White-winged Doves but please lately to have three Mourning Doves every day now.

An American Robin spends his time between our front lawn and the one next door.

If we look up for a few minutes, it's rare we don't see Black and/or Turkey Vultures. American Crows have been flying over a lot, too.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Got a Reed Bunting gain in the garden (see rubbish picture!)
Pair of Bullfinches yesterday, a single female Siskin, and usual Blue Tits, Starlings, Sparrows etc

nice one ;)

best i can do to match that today is a tree creeper :t: first one spotted this year. Of course it had dissapeared by the time I had rushed back with my camera.
5x Goldfinch 1x Dunnock 2x Jackdaw 5x Starlings 4x Tree sparrows 4, Long tailed tits 1x Bluetit 1x Great Tit, 2x Blackbird and a pair of Chaffinch make up my visitor list this morning.;)

Later we had 9x Jackdaws, a blackcap and a pair of collared Doves

Last edited:
Been getting through Fat Balls like nothing. If you think starlings are bad, Well I have a resident magpie which is in or around the garden All day. And it knows how to eat Fat balls. Never thought magpies will feed of a feeder, but it does. It clings on and feeds like any other bird. If this keeps happening its going to cost a lot. Not complaining. But it's sad seeing the tits, sparrows scared of the magpie as it sits in the middle of the feeding station.

Been getting through Fat Balls like nothing. If you think starlings are bad, Well I have a resident magpie which is in or around the garden All day. And it knows how to eat Fat balls. Never thought magpies will feed of a feeder, but it does. It clings on and feeds like any other bird. If this keeps happening its going to cost a lot. Not complaining. But it's sad seeing the tits, sparrows scared of the magpie as it sits in the middle of the feeding station.

we have the same problem with Jackdaws and Wood Pigeons.:C
Some mornings we have up to 12 jackdaws clamouring for the fat balls and suet blocks. I curse and tap the window occasionally but they are back again in minutes. :-O

The only answer is to put protection around the fat and suet to prevent them but I'm not sure how you'd achieve it. Maybe some clear plastic discs over the top of the feeders would stop them flying in close enough to grab the feeders.

Big Woody as we call the woodpigeon struts up and down the lawn shooing off all the chaffinches and sparrows etc that want to feed on the floor. He's such a bully.

I recently watched a GSW chomp through a whole fatball in under two minutes. More like Fatpecker than woodpecker!

Been a busy morning. Lots blue tits, sparrows and starlings and the resident magpie which comes every morning. Also had a new garden visitor. First for my garden. Wren. That puts my Urban garden list up to 17.

not as many birds coming to feeders now have to more species
longtail tits greenfinch
today I had
6 goldfinches (dropped from 20 now)
1 greenfinch
2 blue tits
2 longtail tits (passing through first time seen them)
2 woodies
1 magpie
2 bullfinches
4 chaffinches
put seed back in feeder but nothing going to it still on sunflower hearts and tray feeder with seed mealworms.

Very quiet here,bullfinch (male)greenfinches,chaffinches,goldfinches,collared doves,coal and blue tits,blackbird,starling,wood pigeon.numbers down considerably.

10.30-11.00. 4 House Sparrows, 8 Goldfinches, 2 Robins, 2 Blue Tits, 1 Great Tit, 1 Wren, 2 Blackbirds, 6 Greenfinches.

Decided to get up early on Sunday Morning and had 2 Reed Buntings come down and feed, there for quite a while as well. Not had any for 4 years unless they come whilst we are at work.

Heard a Woodpecker drumming this morning.

We have a lot more Goldfinches coming now, still lots of Blue, Coal and GreatTits coming as well.
Chaffinch numbers are up and down from one day to the next.
1 Nuthatch, 4 Dunnocks, lots of Blackbirds.

I had a flock of 20+ Blackbirds in the tree at the end of my garden yesterday. Seemed rather a lot and they didn't seem to be concerned with the others feeding on the ground.

My guess is that they were on migration? Is that a right assumption?

I had a flock of 20+ Blackbirds in the tree at the end of my garden yesterday. Seemed rather a lot and they didn't seem to be concerned with the others feeding on the ground.

My guess is that they were on migration? Is that a right assumption?

Probably birds on the move at least with such a big influx. Maybe locals but still a good count whereever they are from.

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

• KenM
Back