• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hand Warmers (3 Viewers)

boger

Does anyone use hand warmers? If so what do you recomend as I am finding the coast a bit severe in the winter. Usualy I use a tot of whiskey but I now have to drive myself and I will not drink and drive.

boger said:
Does anyone use hand warmers? If so what do you recomend as I am finding the coast a bit severe in the winter. Usualy I use a tot of whiskey but I now have to drive myself and I will not drink and drive.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, static for work and use a solid fuel hand warmer when the thermometer drops real low. i had a touch of frostbite a few years back and now hands get really sore.

I don't really like the chemical ones as you have to recharge the and mine has accidently activated more than once.

Save it for a rainy day...

boger said:

I had a pack of twenty bought for me last year at Christmas. Haven't opened them yet! I always take one or two out in the field in winter but, just as I'm considering breaking a pack open, I can't help thinking (in my grandma's voice), 'No, I'll save them because one day it'll be really really cold'.

Now I've moved to Barcelona, I don't suppose there'll be much need!

All the very best

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com (from 12.1.06)

I used the ones which were like a charcoal stick which you ignited and then put into a tin and pouch, I found they were more trouble than they were worth as the stick kept going out.

I would recommend a good pair of thermal gloves or ski gloves. At work I had to wear leather gloves so I used to wear ski lining gloves underneath them.

QVC the shopping TV channel had some waterproof leather ones on last week with breathable insulation which keeps hands warm also some grip pads and with extra length on the cuffs, so they should be great for holding the binos up...they cost £22.25 +£2.95 p&p. At least with QVC you can try them out for up to 30days and send them back if they don't live up to expectations.
Here is a link http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?nest=/ukgscripts/detail.dll?item=132340&ref=fgl

We use them when playing golf. I have seen 3 types.

Charcole stick type, a friend uses them with no problem.

Chemical type (start when pack is opened to air) both last for 4 hours or so.
Both can be brought from golf shops.

I was given a recharable gel type a year or so ago, only lasts half an hour.

Marmot said:
I used the ones which were like a charcoal stick which you ignited and then put into a tin and pouch, I found they were more trouble than they were worth as the stick kept going out.

I would recommend a good pair of thermal gloves or ski gloves. At work I had to wear leather gloves so I used to wear ski lining gloves underneath them.
never had a problem with the charcoal. i often use it to light the fire in the morning too.

Decent gloves is the best solution. Although i dont like to wear gloves when using sharp tools.

Hello Boger

I've got a pair of chemical handwarmers that can be recharged. I wouldn't recommend them. They're a pain to recharge (leave in boiling water wrapped in a cloth for 15 minutes), and don't last that long.

I'll second Marmot on getting yourself a warm set of gloves!

Jack

Another vote for solid fuel handwarmers here.

I used to use one all the time when I did a lot of pike fishing in Scotland - (there's not much colder than 8 hours motionless beside a Scottish loch in the dead of Winter) and they were a Godsend.

Handy hint: break the charcoal fuel stick in two and light all four ends...

Mmmmm... Toasty!

(Graham - here you go: http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr2670.html)

Keith Reeder said:
Another vote for solid fuel handwarmers here.

I used to use one all the time when I did a lot of pike fishing in Scotland - (there's not much colder than 8 hours motionless beside a Scottish loch in the dead of Winter) and they were a Godsend.

Handy hint: break the charcoal fuel stick in two and light all four ends...

Mmmmm... Toasty!

(Graham - here you go: http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr2670.html)
I had some given to me last Christmas . You were supposed to press them hard to crack them to release the heat - but as I have some arthritis in my hands it was too difficult to do - so they ended up in the bin!!! (o)<

level seven said:
Thanks Keith :t: - it's all clear to me now!!

LOL! Believe it or not I thought we were talking about heated gloves!

I just couldn't get my head round how solid-fuel ones would operate :eek!:

Think I'll keep my head down for a while now |=\|
You can get heated gloves (and other heated clothing) - at a price!
Have a look at http://www.aquastuff.net/index.php?category=29 as just one example.
Just seen another company that is considerably cheaper - http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=686&r=GOOG

Roger

Last edited:
Hi Roger,

I tried a pair of "electric" socks at one point (reviewing them for an angling website) and I was disappointed.

They were quite warm, but battery life wasn't great, and they were very delicate - it took nothing to break the fine wire elements and write them off.

That was about five years ago, so maybe they've improved since then.

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Roger,

I tried a pair of "electric" socks at one point (reviewing them for an angling website) and I was disappointed.

They were quite warm, but battery life wasn't great, and they were very delicate - it took nothing to break the fine wire elements and write them off.

That was about five years ago, so maybe they've improved since then.

I took my electric socks back......I couldn't find an extension lead long enough!!!

Electric socks, that's fantastic, I really can't believe they actually exist. Guess you could have an in-car charger for them as you drive.......

Dread to think what might happen if this idea progressed to other undergarments!

JP

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,I have ordered some charcoal sticks and a pair of heated gloves(from Primrose!!).I was given one of these charcoal heaters by one of the inshore rescue chaps but did not know where to purchase the charcoal.Hope the gloves work.My fingers are totally without feeling when riding my trike in this weather,lifting the camera out of its bag is very dodgy,so thanks everyone,for the info.There seems to be no limit to the amount of info which comes through on this Forum.It is amazing.

christineredgate said:
Thanks Guys,I have ordered some charcoal sticks and a pair of heated gloves(from Primrose!!).I was given one of these charcoal heaters by one of the inshore rescue chaps but did not know where to purchase the charcoal.Hope the gloves work.My fingers are totally without feeling when riding my trike in this weather,lifting the camera out of its bag is very dodgy,so thanks everyone,for the info.There seems to be no limit to the amount of info which comes through on this Forum.It is amazing.
It really is a good forum for info. Christine - will you keep us informed of your experiences with the heater and gloves please, as I may be tempted to buy some gloves myself?

Roger

Yes,Roger will do.The charcoal heater keeps the Nikon remotes nice and warm.they only fire about twice in these temps,so have to keep changing them over.

Got some heated gloves a few years back, yes they work to a good extent but the battrey pack can feel a bit heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back