• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Vancouver Island, Cormorant (1 Viewer)

rbm

Very sorry for the image quality. Not sure what happened there.

It's from Southern Vancouver Island (Pacific Northwest) so either a Double-Crested, Brandt's or Pelagic Cormorant.

It was on the ocean shoreline. Not sure how visible it is in the photograph, but dark (near-black) beak, and a little bit of a yellow color around the face.

Thanks for having a look!

Attachments

• cormorants.jpg
    cormorants.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 59
Very sorry for the image quality. Not sure what happened there.

It's from Southern Vancouver Island (Pacific Northwest) so either a Double-Crested, Brandt's or Pelagic Cormorant.

It was on the ocean shoreline. Not sure how visible it is in the photograph, but dark (near-black) beak, and a little bit of a yellow color around the face.

Thanks for having a look!

Sure looks like a Double-crested to me! Pelagic would have a big white patch on the back right above the tail, and its yellow chin/face is making me think it's not a Brandt's.

Great thanks for the input! I was leaning towards Double-crested. It's not clear in the photograph but there was no white patch on the back. Basically the body looked all black.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back