• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tell me what rucksack you use (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi,
I need a new rucksack. I don´t want a pajero or similar bag since I want the weight equally distributed on both shoulders. I want it large enough for a day, (35-50liters?) with good ergonomics and some clever solutions. I am not a photographer but I need space to fit a few binoculars.

What rucksack do you use and do you like it?

Last edited:
For normal use i.e. not for camera gear I use a Vaude Aeroflex as it is 'bow' shaped with a good mesh panel that stops your back from sweating-I find this a very useful feature.

For normal use i.e. not for camera gear I use a Vaude Aeroflex as it is 'bow' shaped with a good mesh panel that stops your back from sweating-I find this a very useful feature.

Thanks for your answers.

I like that design, it´s very common and annoying with hot rucksacks.

Take a look at the Maxpedition gear. I must admit I'm a big fan. The bags are not cheap but are extremely well constructed. They are built to a military spec and have lots of pockets, organisers etc which I particularly like.

The full selection can be seen at www.maxpedition.com and the UK supplier I use is www.ee33.co.uk not sure for Sweden I'm afraid.

I have a Versipack Jumbo which I use as my everyday kit bag. I've also just purchased the Falcon II for a trip to the Pyrennes.

Great kit but as I said not cheap. Would be interested to hear what you think, I've posted a few times on this gear recently, just very impressed with build and design.

Andy

That Maxepedition gear looks interesting, thanks for the info..

I have a couple of day sacks though not bought specifically for birding.

A Karrimor Hotrock (30 lr) bought maybe 15 years ago, in dark green. Friend of mine liked it and was going to buy one, but we both agreed that the current version is not quite as nice.
http://www.equipyourtrip.com/karrimor-hot-rock-30-litre-daysack.html

Got a slightly larger sack too, Berhaus Extrem 45(+10)lr bought last year, mainly because I end up carrying the kids stuff. Excellent, & will expand for a weekend.
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1099
I have a cousin who's been to the Antarctic and up the Himalayas, and who seemed to really like the Extrem: enthusiastically showed me how he'd 'customise' it!

i have a Gregory Z30 with which I am very impressed, (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4993 - mine's a green and grey version) but I'd recommend going to a good outdoors shop and trying a few. You really need to get one which fits and carries comfortably.

My Gregory has the mesh back and the trampoline thing but they are removing the mesh altogether in the 2010 models... http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6199

BTW, you said the weight whould be evenly distributed on your shoulders. You really shouldn't have any weight on your shoulders. A properly fitting pack should put all the weight on your hips and use the shoulder straps for stability only. Once you learn to wear one properly you'll be amazed how much easier it is to carry. One of the things I really like about the gregory is that even though it's only a 30+8l design it has a proper padded hip belt (which has some very handy pockets.)

There's a good buyer's guide here... http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6199

Graham

Thanks for all the input guys, lot´s to chose between.

BTW, you said the weight whould be evenly distributed on your shoulders. You really shouldn't have any weight on your shoulders. A properly fitting pack should put all the weight on your hips and use the shoulder straps for stability only.

Graham

Yeah I know, I basically tried to say that I wanted a rucksack, not any other sort of basket. :)

BTW, you said the weight whould be evenly distributed on your shoulders. You really shouldn't have any weight on your shoulders. A properly fitting pack should put all the weight on your hips and use the shoulder straps for stability only. Once you learn to wear one properly you'll be amazed how much easier it is to carry.
Graham[/QUOTE]

That is interesting......I use a Tamrac for carrying my 500mm but have never bothered with the side/hip straps.......next time I will try your suggestion:t:

can anyone tell me if they have used the JACK PYKE RUCKSACKS (25 & 45 LITRES), Can they take a canon 40d with canon 100-400 & perhaps another lens & camera body..

sean. I have been told it would be ok for camera equipment.

Has anyone used Country Innovation 'Heron' rucksack? Is it good/functional for a birdwatching day out?
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back