• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what bird makes a sound like a goat/sheep, after dark? (1 Viewer)

schmintan

hi. i live in the countryside in ireland. at night, during the summer, only after dark, there is a bird that i want to identify. it makes a bleating sound like a sheep or goat. I know its a bird as ive heard it call as it flew overhead, but i have no glimpse of what it looks like. someone suggested a nightjar, but thats a very high pitched sound and not like what ive heard at all. around here, they are called "Sky goats" but i feel thats just a regional name, and may mean nothing elsewhere. any help would be great. thanks all

Hi, Schmintan! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Afraid I can't help you at all with your vocal ID, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can. You've certainly got me curious! :t:

I just looked up something quick on google and i got this....

One of the most fascinating parts of their fledgling life is the sounds of the adults and young. Just as night falls, the female begins to call with a strange sound much like the bleating of a goat. It is given repeatedly about every 30 seconds. The calls of the young are entirely different; they are drawn-out harsh hissing sounds and are given about as frequently as those of the female. What we believe is the male just gives the normal Great Horned Owl hooting, like “Hoo hoohoo hoohoo hoo.”

http://www.stokesbirdsathome.com/birding/journal/

I dont know if itll help you but ill do some more searching and try and find you what you need...

Um, Photo_luver, except that Great Horned Owl doesn't occur in Europe. ;) Nor does American Woodcock. ;) ;)

Last edited:
listened to the horned owl sounds also, nothing like them. if i heard them out in the wild, id know they were birds. this really doesnt sound like a bird, but i know that it is . sorry for being so vague, but its all i got

Hi Schmintan

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess but to listen to both snipe and woodcock - click on "resources" on the righthand end of the toolbar at the top of the page. The second item down on the dropdown menu is "birdsong" and both these 2 are listed there alphabetically.

PS. Just listened to your Latham's snipe above and that is quite different to the normal UK variety (Galinago gallinago) as per the resouces recording. In this one the 2nd half of the recording is often known as druming - a sound made by the air rushing through the tail feathers which are splayed out during a dive.

Last edited:
just done that. the snipe sound isnt very clear, but doesnt sound like my bird . the woodcock is totally different. sorry to be difficult.

you could be right. a local farmer tells me the "Sky goat" ( aka snipe)makes the sound with its wings and tail. sorry for all the confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back