• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid BA question ? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have posted a photo of a Trinovid 10x50 BA, that the seller
says is brand new.

He says that Leica puts a powder on them, when shipped from new and it
is easily removed.

What do you think ?

Jerry

Attachments

• Leica 10x50 BA.jpg
    Leica 10x50 BA.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 226
says is brand new.

is easily removed.

What do you think ?

Jerry

I've seen this before. I think it is a reaction of the plastic armor, or of something applied to it. I've found a wipe down with ArmorAll removes it and prevents return. The plastic armor is not compromised.

--AP

Pete Gamby mentioned what it is.
I can't remember the chemical term.

I often see it on items, which can be newish or old.

Zinc Stearate.

Last edited:
says is brand new.

is easily removed.

What do you think ?

Jerry

I don't believe it. Why didn't he remove it?

Ed

I think it some sort of talc that is part of the armoring. There have been other comments about this on BF and the consensus is that it is harmless and readily removed, as Alexis Powell has noted.

I don't believe it. Why didn't he remove it?

Ed

Ed:

If you watch the famous auction site, then you may find this genius.
He only deals in binoculars, and did not have a clue.

Answer:

It is rubber oxidation, a common thing, and found in many optics,
all brands. It does easily wipe off. I just wanted to post this one
for amusement.

Jerry

Jerry,

I guess that's a genuine Leica shoestring, too? ;)

Ed

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 132
I wonder what kind of shape the zippered leather case is in? One came with my 7x42 Trinovid BN and I keep it on the binocular all the time. Even when I use it. I give the case a little leather treatment now and then.

Bob

I used to work in the rubber industry and the company I worked for and many others included a percentage of a certain wax in the rubber compounds. During storage this wax migrated to the outside of the rubber and gave it white-ish appearance but also gave the rubber a surface protection.

The Leica BA looks very much like this. I have some old Zeiss Dialyt-era rainguards that develop this white-ish bloom and it wipes off but will tend to reappear unless the guard is used and gets handled. The point is, if this is the same phenomenon it is not harmful, merely cosmetically unpleasing.

Lee

BA/BN armor is not rubber, according to the old Leica ads, but polyurethane. Having owned a few, I'd say that compared to the alleged rubber on other binoculars I've owned, it is harder and tougher. It also utterly lacks the unpleasant odor of my supposedly rubber clad Ultravid BR.

I don't know what that white stuff is, but I seriously doubt it will damage the armor. However, reconciling the supposed polyurethane-ness of old Trinnie armor, bowling pins, and floor/furniture finish is beyond my ability. I guess it must can be morphed, plastic like, into different manifestations.

Despite my nerdy technical interjection, I appreciate ND's amused point of view about this cruddy looking binocular and its seller. White stuff has always been a great mystery. I cannot resist here telling a joke from grade school, which has always stuck with me, because it is, I'm sure you'll agree, both deep and widely applicable. It even has an ornithological overtone.

Q: What's that white stuff in bird poop?
A: Bird poop.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back