• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (1 Viewer)

Mostly masking tape (frisket is such horrid smelling stuff and it's always a PITA to work with, so I used as little as possible here). This is my first time using tape for masking, and although it did bleed in a few of the damper areas of the wash I found it much quicker and easier than the frisket (even after cutting around all of those leaf shapes).

A bit of patience needed there- be interesting to know the dimensions of the picture.

Mostly masking tape (frisket is such horrid smelling stuff and it's always a PITA to work with, so I used as little as possible here). This is my first time using tape for masking, and although it did bleed in a few of the damper areas of the wash I found it much quicker and easier than the frisket (even after cutting around all of those leaf shapes).

That is a good tip and seems to work very well in your hands- I had been wondering about cutting and tearing large post-it stickers into shape, on basis that they should be easier to work with than tape.

I sometimes use what I suppose is called masking film.It is see through and peels off a thin backing - (fablonish). The advantage is that you can put it over your drawing and trace it. It is especially good if you want to mask large areas and I have found that you can reuse the shapes and get no bleed underneath.

Phalaropes are great and I'm also looking forward to following the redstart. Definitely not enough finished coloured work coming from you (but as long as the sketches keep coming, I won't complain!) Clever idea for the leaves, it was a similar problem (I have a very short attention span) of painting leaves that led to all the collages I did last year.

Progress report on the redstart asap please!

Well, it's been two weeks, and I suppose it's time for an update. Not a huge amount of progress (no surprise there!), but I have a bit better idea of where I'm going. Stared at it for a week on the easel before starting to block in the shadows, then spent some time over the long weekend muddying up the leaves while trying to figure out how I'm going to tackle this. Being dockside with a cold beer is, at the very least, good enticement to get some painting done!

I've already noticed that the leaves are getting lost against the background, and I'll have to find a way to sharpen things up. For now, though, I'll plug along as I'm doing, and there's always the gouache if things go wrong (though I hate sullying up my watercolours with the stuff). I'll have to get some paint into that warbler, it's just not right to leave a Redstart looking so colourless.

Attachments

• American Redstart 2007-09-04 800x800.jpg
    American Redstart 2007-09-04 800x800.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 220
Let's blow the dust off of this one...

I spent much of last week trying to squeeze a few minutes of birding out of the last little bit of twilight left after work. The days get shorter so quickly! Chased a flock of uncooperative White-throated Sparrows around the Arboretum ponds at the old alma mater, and managed a page of sketches after a few days.

Then it was off to my parents' cottage for Thanksgiving weekend with the folks. The bay is much too disturbed for loons in the summer, but in fall they gather in small parties of two or three (young birds trailing moulting adults with their barking calls). Heavy fog obscured them for most of the weekend, but made for some nice ambiance when they did eventually come into view.

The weather was unseasonably warm this weekend (hot, muggy and more like June than October), and the woods near Oxenden were dead silent. Only after much standing around did I finally spot a small flock of Hermit Thrushes warily eyeing me from within a stand of conifers. On my way back I came across the wake of the logging activity that had barred my access to this trail earlier in the summer. A bit more birdlife here, with Brown Creepers, Yellow-rumps and Golden-crowned Kinglets flitting about while young Hairy and Downy woodpeckers noisily chased one another about the felled trees.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2007-10-01.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-10-01.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 206
  • sketchbook 2007-10-06.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-10-06.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 188
  • sketchbook 2007-10-08-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-10-08-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 204
  • sketchbook 2007-10-07.jpg
    sketchbook 2007-10-07.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 196
Evocative description of what sounds like a grand weekend, loons in the fog, it couldn't get much better could it?

Outstanding sketchbook work, as always, I love the smooth flow of your linework.

My wife's father is a naturalised Canadian living near Toronto. I really think I should arrange a visit!

Woody

Jomo - your drawings are simply beautiful. The great Doctor E.A.R. would have been proud to have produced these - effing stunning work. As Woody mentions, your descriptive prose transports the reader to the haunting, shrouded lakes with their special birds. One can sense the damp, dripping forest and the various woodland species eeking out an autumnal feast. Love your work. Love it!

Can only echo the previous two posts. Your sketchbook pages are a joy to look at, like in real life, the more you look the more you see. Your birds are very much alive. Excellent.

I love the diver!

Me too! :t: I'd be over the moon to SEE one, never mind get the chance to sketch one :-O Perhaps this coming winter will be the one ;)

I love the way they are done on coloured paper too. Perhaps that's what scares me off sketching more - I'm using glaringly bright white paper and it's rather intimidating.

Can't wait to see more :t:

How's the Redstart coming along by the way?

Well its already been said so I will just agree with all the others. Stunning
discriptive passages that make you want to be there. Stunning Loon sketches!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back